ADVERTISEMENT

Big10 tournament pairings

CrazyHands

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
I think we got as good of a draw as possible. Ill is hot and we don’t have to face Iowa’s pitching. Purdue coming off 5 consecutive losses and Nebraska is beatable. What does anyone else think?

I think we got as good of a draw as possible. Ill is hot and we don’t have to face Iowa’s pitching. Purdue coming off 5 consecutive losses and Nebraska is beatable. What does anyone else think?
Brecht will be pitching in the first game for Iowa in the tournament and that's based on what I have read, so we won't face him, at least at the beginning depending on how the games fall, and Iowa's pitching hasn't been as strong lately after Brecht.

Purdue is in a funk right now but it's IU so it probably won't be an easy game to start with.

I firmly believe we could have swept the Huskers or at least had the series won, if it wasn't for our hitting being out of sync in that series. Our pitching against the Huskers was good enough to have done that.

Illinois' hitting pretty much led them to the B1G title. They had 100 homers on the season going into the last game against Purdue today, with Maryland and IU having 77 and 76 homers respectively, for 2nd and 3rd. Their pitching is okay but not great, but when you consistently hit the ball the way they do, they are pretty hard to beat.

Last edited:
Their pitching is okay but not great, but when you consistently hit the ball the way they do, they are pretty hard to beat.
And they can thank IU'S pitching staff for helping them get out of their funk. They were kind of slumping until we helped them break out during our series, iirc. I think they even mentioned that on the Big Ten Network last night. They have been on a tear ever since! LOL.

Brecht will be pitching in the first game for Iowa in the tournament and that's based on what I have read, so we won't face him, at least at the beginning depending on how the games fall, and Iowa's pitching hasn't been as strong lately after Brecht.

Purdue is in a funk right now but it's IU so it probably won't be an easy game to start with.

I firmly believe we could have swept the Huskers or at least had the series won, if it wasn't for our hitting being out of sync in that series. Our pitching against the Huskers was good enough to have done that.

Illinois' hitting pretty much led them to the B1G title. They had 100 homers on the season going into the last game against Purdue today, with Maryland and IU having 77 and 76 homers respectfully, for 2nd and 3rd. Their pitching is okay but not great, but when you consistently hit the ball the way they do, they are pretty hard to beat.
Ptrich, Omaha really cuts down on home runs. How does that affect doubles and triples?

Ptrich, Omaha really cuts down on home runs. How does that affect doubles and triples?
Yes, you are certainly correct about the long-ball factor in Omaha, and it will be interesting to see how it affects the power hitting teams. If I'm not mistaken the wind typically blows in at that facility.

I guess I didn't answer your question. With homers somewhat hard to get, it's a bigger ballpark than a lot of college ballparks so it stands to reason that it is easier to get doubles and triples there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT