ADVERTISEMENT

Big ten tournament cancelled

I feel terrible for Devonte Green and De'Ron Davis. Those two guys deserved to play in the NCAA Tournament. It would be nice to see IU honor them in some way.
Has playing the NCAA tournament been cancelled? I know that the NCAA announced it will be played without fans. I'd guess that in response to Gobert testing positive for coronavirus they'll also say anyone - player, coach, staff, media, anyone - who has tested positive for any communicable disease won't be allowed in the arena . . .

. . . but if they haven't cancelled the tournaments yet, there's still a chance that it's not cancelled . . .

. . . there might have to be an asterisk next to the winners' names if an opponent has to forfeit because its players were sick.

Has playing the NCAA tournament been cancelled? I know that the NCAA announced it will be played without fans. I'd guess that in response to Gobert testing positive for coronavirus they'll also say anyone - player, coach, staff, media, anyone - who has tested positive for any communicable disease won't be allowed in the arena . . .

. . . but if they haven't cancelled the tournaments yet, there's still a chance that it's not cancelled . . .

. . . there might have to be an asterisk next to the winners' names if an opponent has to forfeit because its players were sick.
MLS just suspended for 30 days. I think everything is shutting down.

Reminds me of that simpson episode where mr. burns drew a giant zero on a piece of paper for settlement and the great lionel hutz goes "i think we should take it."

. . . mutual dismissals . . .

I once had a judge say to a pro se plaintiff after they rested, "That's your entire case? Can we just all agree to go home?"

We didn't object . . . .

Wouldn't rule out postponing the NCAA tournament for a few months. It counts for the vast majority of the NCAA's direct revenue, so they will be motivated to find alternatives. I'd say 80% chance they hold it in May/June if things have calmed by then
At that point wouldn't the kids be out of school and have moved on with their lives?

First off for the this is just fake news, media hyperbole peeps....you do realize professional sports is going to lose millions to billions of dollars right?

They don't make these moves lightly.

Secondly, there is one entity global and national that doesn't give a shit about conspiracy theories and is typically the first one to react to things like this...thats the global markets.

Smart people know how to play panicked newsstories and the global markets have been firebombing for the past two months.

The US market is completely dive bombing right now.

It didn't react this way to west Nile, Sars or ebola.

I'm just trying to tell you conspiracy people, especially if you are older to look around and take a cue from the market and use common sense.

Its quite simple, be cool, try to avoid large crowds, stay within a close group if possible.

Help slowing the spread of this thing as our health care system is not ready for a flood of people needing to go into ICU care. Hell we don't even have tests available right now.

Why wouldn’t a University decline the invitation to play? Having already determined that travel and in person classes aren’t appropriate, saying “No, thanks” to a tournament berth will be easy.

Reactions: Radio Zero
IU finishes with only 12 losses compared to what was likely going to be 13 at some point. A 20-12 record with all those quad 1 wins....its at least a step up.

. . . mutual dismissals . . .

I once had a judge say to a pro se plaintiff after they rested, "That's your entire case? Can we just all agree to go home?"

We didn't object . . . .

LMAO hilarious. I once handed a defendant a copy of the dismissal and it had with prejudice on the bottom and she goes "Good! I'm glad it says with prejudice. Because I'm still pissed!"

Reactions: Sope Creek
IU finishes with only 12 losses compared to what was likely going to be 13 at some point. A 20-12 record with all those quad 1 wins....its at least a step up.
Lol. Nothing summarizes Lowered Expectations like this. Well done!

I was thinking last night the NCAA should just postpone until May. This morning I realized this thing could take up to a year or more to begin to really subside. Given the number of teams, players, coaches, media and everyone else necessary to conduct games (even in empty venues) there will be too many sick to even attempt playing the games.

I'd be shocked if the NCAA Tournament wasn't canceled.

Why wouldn’t a University decline the invitation to play? Having already determined that travel and in person classes aren’t appropriate, saying “No, thanks” to a tournament berth will be easy.
The scope of the risk would be more manageable for a group of maybe 40 people with a single, specific destination/purpose.

A school certainly could decline an invite . . . but because many schools would like the media exposure of participating, I'd guess many would accept an invite thinking they could manage the disease risk.

First off for the this is just fake news, media hyperbole peeps....you do realize professional sports is going to lose millions to billions of dollars right?

They don't make these moves lightly.

Secondly, there is one entity global and national that doesn't give a shit about conspiracy theories and is typically the first one to react to things like this...thats the global markets.

Smart people know how to play panicked newsstories and the global markets have been firebombing for the past two months.

The US market is completely dive bombing right now.

It didn't react this way to west Nile, Sars or ebola.

I'm just trying to tell you conspiracy people, especially if you are older to look around and take a cue from the market and use common sense.

Its quite simple, be cool, try to avoid large crowds, stay within a close group if possible.

Help slowing the spread of this thing as our health care system is not ready for a flood of people needing to go into ICU care. Hell we don't even have tests available right now.

I see your point, but I also don’t understand how keeping 50 people out of an arena is going to do much else than cause mass panic. If you do this, why not shut it all down? Every bus, school, business, store, train, etc.

We finally put together a tournament worthy resume for the first time in 4 years and now it's likely to be canceled. Being an IU fan these days isn't for the faint of heart.

I see your point, but I also don’t understand how keeping 50 people out of an arena is going to do much else than cause mass panic. If you do this, why not shut it all down? Every bus, school, business, store, train, etc.
Which 50?

Did you mean "all but 50"?

What mass panic do you see?

FWIW, I don't see any . . . I see institutions and organizations responding piecemeal to the threats that they perceive to their activities/business. That's not mass panic, that's rational action.

Reactions: jet812
Which 50?

Did you mean "all but 50"?

What mass panic do you see?

FWIW, I don't see any . . . I see institutions and organizations responding piecemeal to the threats that they perceive to their activities/business. That's not mass panic, that's rational action.

What I mean is that they are cancelling an event where you’ll have a few dozen personnel there (players, coaches, refs , security , etc). They could have it with zero fans, not allow even family members. Instead they cancel it. Yet, people are riding buses and subways to work. People are at health clubs, coffee shops, office buildings , schools , packed like sardines into subway cars, on planes, standing in line at the post office, etc.

What I mean is that they are cancelling an event where you’ll have a few dozen personnel there (players, coaches, refs , security , etc). They could have it with zero fans, not allow even family members. Instead they cancel it. Yet, people are riding buses and subways to work. People are at health clubs, coffee shops, office buildings , schools , packed like sardines into subway cars, on planes, standing in line at the post office, etc.
Gotcha.

The only thing I can say to that is that every organization needs to assess what the risks are to its operations; if a local bus service doesn't think it has any liability exposure for its riders getting a disease from other riders, then it could rationally decide to keep transporting people. Nobody has to take the bus . . . it's on the would-be rider to decide whether to take that risk.

The NBA is a pretty good alternative to that scenario, where you have a highly paid, rare talent/size athlete in Rudy Gobert contracting coronavirus, and if he were to play a game against others before showing symptoms then he could infect the entire league, directly or indirectly. The NBA looks at that and says "short term pain for long term protection against greater pain" and suspends the season . . . that makes sense to me.

The NCAA is sort of in between the NBA and the bus scenario . . . the tournament is far enough away in time that the NCAA might come up with controls over how the tournament proceeds with deletion of fans in the stands (check) player health checks/doctor certifications, liability waivers and the like, and they might be able to attract enough schools to participate and keep the 2020 TV money. Some schools not that invested in their basketball program might not accept invites . . . that's OK. The key in a decision to proceed with tournaments is serving the overall brand by playing.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but your perspective seems to be that the March Madness brand - nnd the bus company's brand - might be besmirched too much to continue . . . that's an entirely valid point of view. It wouldn't shock me if that perspective were to prevail and the NCAA ultimately cancels the tournaments, the next month of the baseball and softball seasons, the track seasons and so on . . . and it wouldn't surprise me if buses/trains/planes and taxis were to suspend operations for a while. In this situation, all of that is on the table, and reasonably so.

Gotcha.

The only thing I can say to that is that every organization needs to assess what the risks are to its operations; if a local bus service doesn't think it has any liability exposure for its riders getting a disease from other riders, then it could rationally decide to keep transporting people. Nobody has to take the bus . . . it's on the would-be rider to decide whether to take that risk.

The NBA is a pretty good alternative to that scenario, where you have a highly paid, rare talent/size athlete in Rudy Gobert contracting coronavirus, and if he were to play a game against others before showing symptoms then he could infect the entire league, directly or indirectly. The NBA looks at that and says "short term pain for long term protection against greater pain" and suspends the season . . . that makes sense to me.

The NCAA is sort of in between the NBA and the bus scenario . . . the tournament is far enough away in time that the NCAA might come up with controls over how the tournament proceeds with deletion of fans in the stands (check) player health checks/doctor certifications, liability waivers and the like, and they might be able to attract enough schools to participate and keep the 2020 TV money. Some schools not that invested in their basketball program might not accept invites . . . that's OK. The key in a decision to proceed with tournaments is serving the overall brand by playing.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but your perspective seems to be that the March Madness brand - nnd the bus company's brand - might be besmirched too much to continue . . . that's an entirely valid point of view. It wouldn't shock me if that perspective were to prevail and the NCAA ultimately cancels the tournaments, the next month of the baseball and softball seasons, the track seasons and so on . . . and it wouldn't surprise me if buses/trains/planes and taxis were to suspend operations for a while. In this situation, all of that is on the table, and reasonably so.
I think the NCAA corporate sponsors will have a big say in canceling the tournament. None will want their names associated with a potentially dangerous situation. Better to call it a day and dream about next year.

I think the NCAA corporate sponsors will have a big say in canceling the tournament. None will want their names associated with a potentially dangerous situation. Better to call it a day and dream about next year.

You might be right . . . depends on what, if anything, their contracts with the NCAA say about communicable diseases in public.

I can tell you this: the fact that the NCAA merely cancelled fan attendance at the games, but not the games themselves, says an awful lot about which revenue sources are most important to protect. TV is king . . . fans not so much.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You might be right . . . depends on what, if anything, their contracts with the NCAA say about communicable diseases in public.

I can tell you this: the fact that the NCAA merely cancelled fan attendance at the games, but not the games themselves, says an awful lot about which revenue sources are most important to protect. TV is king . . . fans not so much.
Agree completely with your last paragraph. The sponsors will have a large say in whether the games go forward. Guessing they won’t want the blowback of being associated with an event that prudent people believe shouldn’t occur.

No one has done this well. Not the President or most politicians, not the medical community, not foreign governments, not the media. The corner they’re standing in is getting very crowded.
Okay smart guy how would you have handled the whole situation? Obviously you are the only smart one here and politically - come on tell us...

Okay smart guy how would you have handled the whole situation? Obviously you are the only smart one here and politically - come on tell us...
Tell the truth. Don’t spin, don’t panic people, share data, be realistic, give good coaching. In essence, don’t bullshit people. Put away politics and personal agendas and tell the brutal and complete truth.

That shouldn’t be difficult or mind blowing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT