ADVERTISEMENT

Big sports day!!

Coach value in the pros is overrated. More important to have a good GM at that level. Winning is all based on your organization's ability to pick the right players, particularly when you get outside the top picks each year.
Correct. A head coach in the NFL is a CEO/leader. They’re not an Xs or Os person. Even the ones that are at first (McVay, Pederson, etc) and come out as the latest whiz bang guy eventually plateau and are out-schemed by the next guy.

Those that persist, the Tomlins, the Harbaughs are the ones that lead - not serve as tacticians.

Reactions: larsIU and IUCrazy2
So somehow, former players that don’t know their way around tv sets or operating boards can “figure” out how to become a broadcaster but it’s shocking that a guy who has been around football his entire adolescence and adult life - who has watched coaches coach, who has watched coaches put game plans together, who has watched coaches coach - gets the head job? I just don’t see the fainting couch necessity.

Your Bird example is appropriate and even more apropos - he was quite successful despite never having “slogged it out” in lower coaching positions. It’s almost as if one of the best ever doesn’t need to do that.

Paging Deion Sanders?

I have a pretty low opinion of NFL owners (Mike Brown, Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, and most of the rest). But even I don't think any of them would go onto Sports Center and admit they don't want to hire Black coaches. So, IF there is a problem in the NFL, how do you think it would manifest itself? What could we look at and think "hmm, that might be a sign of racism and we should look closer"?

I have a pretty low opinion of NFL owners (Mike Brown, Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, and most of the rest). But even I don't think any of them would go onto Sports Center and admit they don't want to hire Black coaches. So, IF there is a problem in the NFL, how do you think it would manifest itself? What could we look at and think "hmm, that might be a sign of racism and we should look closer"?
Why is there a problem in the NFL? Why do you so badly want there to be one?

Todd Bowles doesn’t think there’s a problem. Why do you?

A lot of coaches are former players, and they start toward the bottom. Art Shell was offensive line, Hall of Famer8 time pro-bowler, and was hired as Assistant Coach in 83 and stayed as an assistant for 10 years before becoming a head coach.

Mike Singletary is a pro bowl player, hired as Linebackers coach when he got started coaching.

Mike Munchak was a 10-time all-pro, hired as Offensive assistant and quality control coach.

Jim Harbaugh started coaching as an assistant at Western Ky.

Forrest Gregg, voted 28th best NFL player by Sporting News, was hired as offensive line coach.

Mike Ditka was an assistant coach for 10 years at the Cowboys before getting on as head coach at Chicago.

Bleacher Report

Can you name a single NFL head coach hired without ever coaching at any level in college or the pros besides Saturday?

I have mentioned Cowher and Thomas several times, you haven't touched on them at all. What makes what they are saying not worthy of your scorn but what Freeman said is totally crazy?
George Halas’ coaching career started and ended at the head coach level. He was also a Navy Captain. He had leadership skills.

Hiring a person who didn’t want to make a commitment to being an assistant coach (turned it down, repeatedly) due to wanting to be with his family, then who decided to be the head coach due to having the owner as a drinking buddy.

I assume you didn't mean that literally, but just in case... Irsay is a teetotaler, a recovering abuser who is active anonymously in the substance abuse prevention/treatment community.

The truth is, we all should strive to be as accepting and tolerant of others ideas as you are. You have always been very transparent with your tolerance. Kudos!
I'm really disappointed in @DANC @Crayfish57 and @others .. This was quality 2nd date material right here! Step up with the likes, laughs and comments men!

So somehow, former players that don’t know their way around tv sets or operating boards can “figure” out how to become a broadcaster but it’s shocking that a guy who has been around football his entire adolescence and adult life - who has watched coaches coach, who has watched coaches put game plans together, who has watched coaches coach - gets the head job? I just don’t see the fainting couch necessity.

Your Bird example is appropriate and even more apropos - he was quite successful despite never having “slogged it out” in lower coaching positions. It’s almost as if one of the best ever doesn’t need to do that.

Paging Deion Sanders?
Bill Russell too.

Why is there a problem in the NFL? Why do you so badly want there to be one?

Todd Bowles doesn’t think there’s a problem. Why do you?
IF there is a problem I think it is the numbers. There have been 3 Black head coaches for 4 straight years. Doesn't that number seem low? That is under 10%. As we discuss, players become coaches. Since the NFL has a lot of Black players, should not their coaching numbers be over 10%

And there may not be a problem. Hence my question. Is there a number of coaches, is there any metric, that would make you believe there is a problem.

I have never hidden the fact I grew up in a very racist area. I know very well the trope that Blacks are athletic but lack the smarts, heard it all my youth. I do not know if owners subscribe to that, not saying they do. But IF they do, how would we know?

IF there is a problem I think it is the numbers. There have been 3 Black head coaches for 4 straight years. Doesn't that number seem low? That is under 10%. As we discuss, players become coaches. Since the NFL has a lot of Black players, should not their coaching numbers be over 10%

And there may not be a problem. Hence my question. Is there a number of coaches, is there any metric, that would make you believe there is a problem.

I have never hidden the fact I grew up in a very racist area. I know very well the trope that Blacks are athletic but lack the smarts, heard it all my youth. I do not know if owners subscribe to that, not saying they do. But IF they do, how would we know?
It does seem low - I agree. But we don’t have insight into the real pipeline - we only see what the media shows us. I find solace that the second longest tenured HC is black and very successful. I find Bowles’ comments that only the media focuses on race - the teams don’t - to be very telling.

George Halas’ coaching career started and ended at the head coach level. He was also a Navy Captain. He had leadership skills.
It’s such an obviously bad reaction to the hiring of a HoF player that forms the basis for why I think it’s really just good ole white liberals deciding that it’s racism that he was hired.

The Colts, a 3-5-1 team before Saturday took over are 1-1 under him now and got beat by an 8-1 team yesterday by 1 point in the last minute.

Saturday is either A)more qualified than the talking heads were saying or B)coaching at that level isn't the brainiacs special person's club they want people to believe it is. My guess is it is a mixture of both.
I think there is a lot of B involved.

That said, I think that is true for the crazily overpriced CEOs in America too

I love White liberal they's on the water cooler verbally figthing to the death, just so I know that I am racist, over a football interim coach that I couldn't give two shits about the decision.
White, Urban They's cause self destruction and suicide and use it as a trophy to how much they are helping.

PLEASE STOP HELPING, YOU ARE KILLING US.

Why would you say that Saturday has no qualifications to coach? Defend that statement and then we can go on. Make sure you factor in his extensive playing experience and being the captain of the offensive line under a Top 5 QB of all time. Make sure you factor in that he’s played the game since his childhood and knows it just as well as any “coach.”

You should be more upset or shocked when a Belichick child or a Reid child gets a coaching gig over former players. They don’t have nearly the playing experience and expertise as all pro or HoF players have.

But I guess it’s easier to just say that most NFL owners are racist than try to understand that perhaps an owner is trying to send a jolt or taking a Hail Mary attempt through his team. And that has nothing to do with racism - but it always does.
Playing ain’t coaching and you know that

I love White liberal they's on the water cooler verbally figthing to the death, just so I know that I am racist, over a football interim coach that I couldn't give two shits about the decision.
White, Urban They's cause self destruction and suicide and use it as a trophy to how much they are helping.

PLEASE STOP HELPING, YOU ARE KILLING US.
Easy, Joe. What's going on with you and Mas-sa tonight. You both are going to blow a gasket.

The only thing more pitiful than stolen valor is a false accusation of it. I’d love to hear it in person.

Chances are you’ll be too busy anyways taking money to testify to whatever the **** science they’re asking you to lie about.
****ers like him will be held accountable.
@Aloha Hoosier or @MrBing how do you recommend one should deal with this clown?
Perhaps some type of anti parasitical meds...

Ivermectin maybe

12mg 3 x daily for ten days should do it, so I've heard..

*Standard disclaimer here*

That was a few years ago, it is pretty rare.

I don't know, has anyone offered Manning a head coaching gig?
I think the Mannings will own a team someday. Maybe he can name himself coach and the whole internet’s (well half of it anyways) heads will explode.

Ugh. I forgot! Also Steve Nash - but that didn’t turn out too well…
Wilt (player/coach)
Actually, he couldn't play because of a lawsuit by the Lakers.
main-qimg-146777d047498bb26df320331a08369a-lq

Last edited:
Here is a different look at the problem, White NCAa athletes complaining they aren't considered "athletic".

I think we have all heard that story, White players are "heady", Black players are "gifted. IF that happens, does it not mean Blacks are less likely to be thought of for coaching? It is hard to coach someone to run the 4.35 40. Yet if a player is "smart", maybe they can pass that along.

Correct. A head coach in the NFL is a CEO/leader. They’re not an Xs or Os person. Even the ones that are at first (McVay, Pederson, etc) and come out as the latest whiz bang guy eventually plateau and are out-schemed by the next guy.

Those that persist, the Tomlins, the Harbaughs are the ones that lead - not serve as tacticians.
There is an excellent group of young coaches who are tacticians first. McDaniel, McVay, LaFleur, Shanahan, Taylor, O’Connell, Vrabel. Most of them had no or unspectacular playing careers.

There is an excellent group of young coaches who are tacticians first. McDaniel, McVay, LaFleur, Shanahan, Taylor, O’Connell, Vrabel. Most of them had no or unspectacular playing careers.
Vrabel was an All-Pro linebacker for the Pats.

My point on the tactics is that it doesn’t last. McVay’s time has perhaps already passed based on how bad they are this year. The coaches that last a long time aren’t tacticians - they’re CEOs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT