ADVERTISEMENT

Big Game Coaches

I remember 3-8 or 4-7 being “on our way up”.

Remember: we are still the losingest program in college football history. Going bowling 3 out of every 4 years is a big deal.

We have a long way to go before we can feel ok with firing a coach 1.5 years after winning a Natty.
We aren’t winning 3 or 4 games this season- we are going to win 2

Are you kidding?
2020 win against Penn State was a fabulous Player and Coaching victory!
I have my own ideas of where I would have called for a different strategy, ( no hands team for obvious onside kick vs Tenn in Gator bowl and not relieving Penix before his injury), but to say he is Not a big time coach is disingenuous.
We are a few breaks away from 4-2,breaks that we seemed to get last year.
Tell me what bad loss we’ve had this year?
Bump

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
I’ve always been amazed at how some coaches and players seem to elevate themselves against top competition while others disappear. After 4.5 years I think we can all agree who Tom Allen is and who he isn’t. And no, this isn’t a fire Tom Allen thread.

One certainty is he is definitely not a big game coach. He’s just not. He does so many things great but when the lights are brightest he seems to be at his worst. I believe he’s beat 1 Big Ten team in 4.5 years who finished with a winning record. That’s flat out pathetic. Then you add in the bowl game collapses and the picture is clear.

What’s odd is Brohm seems to be the exact opposite. He disappears against average competition but when the lights are brightest he looks like a top 5 coach. Similar to Tom Herman. It’s hard to explain.

The long term question is are we ok with this? Are we ok winning games we should and not having a chance in the rest? Are we ok consistently winning 5-7 games a year? Not long ago we would’ve loved that. Do we still?
While you make a number of correct points, you dance around the real issue. CTA has very little HC experience & a lack of learning from previous mistakes. This lack of HC experience really shows when game prepping for all occasions. CTA, along with the fan base, are in an one-the-job-training scenario. There are two options. Let CTA spend the next 5 years learning to be a HC & all the pain which comes with it, or cut the ties now & start over. But this time hire a Bill Mallory type established HC. I was a Sophomore when we went 0-10 under Mallory, but there was a distinct difference. We were competitive. Yes, we got overmatched in some games, but you could see improvement throughout the year. A HC with years of experience can get this ship pointed quickly pointed in the right direction. CTA has to learn HOW to be a head coach along with coaching against the toughest competition in the country. CTA is on the Autobahn driving a Gremlin..

Reactions: bang63
While you make a number of correct points, you dance around the real issue. CTA has very little HC experience & a lack of learning from previous mistakes. This lack of HC experience really shows when game prepping for all occasions. CTA, along with the fan base, are in an one-the-job-training scenario. There are two options. Let CTA spend the next 5 years learning to be a HC & all the pain which comes with it, or cut the ties now & start over. But this time hire a Bill Mallory type established HC. I was a Sophomore when we went 0-10 under Mallory, but there was a distinct difference. We were competitive. Yes, we got overmatched in some games, but you could see improvement throughout the year. A HC with years of experience can get this ship pointed quickly pointed in the right direction. CTA has to learn HOW to be a head coach along with coaching against the toughest competition in the country. CTA is on the Autobahn driving a Gremlin..
Good post. I greatly underestimated just how bad of a disaster we had on our hands. This is a total capitulation. Nothing we can do for a couple years too. The only thing we can do is boycott EVERYTHING. If you’re a fan stay as far away from anything IU football as possible. Beyond that it’s just a waiting game.

Reactions: IUFANBB
Good post. I greatly underestimated just how bad of a disaster we had on our hands. This is a total capitulation. Nothing we can do for a couple years too. The only thing we can do is boycott EVERYTHING. If you’re a fan stay as far away from anything IU football as possible. Beyond that it’s just a waiting game.
I think you should begin the movement by boycotting all IU athletics message boards. In fact, begin immediately.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT