ADVERTISEMENT

Bidenflation

you're obviously economically totally illiterate, (like most, as the public is fed a steady diet of economic total lies by Wall St media), ), but i will answer your question. (which you probably don't really want answered).

take 2 scenarios, 1 a monopolistic situation, the other a competitive market situation.

1), monopoly seller,

you're stranded in the desert and out of water.

a guy approaches selling bottles of water, and he's the first person you've seen in 2 weeks, with no one else in sight.

you ask how much. he answers, how much you got.

you empty your pockets and come up with $100.

he says $100, take it or leave it.

obviously you fork over the $100, due to no other options.

2), competitive market,

same desert, same guy, again out of water.

instead of 1 guy selling bottles of water approaching, there are 8 selling water.

you say how much. if the guy says how much you got, you reply $100, and he says ok, $100, that no longer is the end of bargaining.

a 2nd vendor says i'll sell you a bottle for $90.

a third says $80, and so on.

in the end, the price in the competitive market will depend on how much was the cost of a bottle of water to the vendor, and what is the minimum profit they are willing to settle for to make it worth their while.

unlike in the monopoly market scenario, it makes no difference how much money you have on you, the price is determined by the cost of doing business and the competitive market, not by how much you have on you.

how much you can afford for the bottle of water, (money supply), only matters in the monopolistic market.

unfortunately, like oil, many of our industries have been monopolized, or effectively monopolized, and duopolies and oligopolies often to usually behave and price as monopolies. (like oil, real estate, etc).

price gouging by the monopolies and effective monopolies is the main driver of our current price escalation. (falsely portrayed as "inflation" by Wall St's corp media).
You didn't answer my question. You just explained the board game monopoly to me. Last response, because you're either hopeless or trolling. It's extremely easy to disprove your claims. All the things you claim existed prior to 2020, but we didn't have the same amount of inflation. What didn't exist prior to covid was the 40% increase in money supply, shutting down of economies, and Russian war, which have all been responsible for the high inflation.

You didn't answer my question. You just explained the board game monopoly to me. Last response, because you're either hopeless or trolling. It's extremely easy to disprove your claims. All the things you claim existed prior to 2020, but we didn't have the same amount of inflation. What didn't exist prior to covid was the 40% increase in money supply, shutting down of economies, and Russian war, which have all been responsible for the high inflation.
Money supply and restriction of the US energy sector.

Unless I've missed it... not a single person has discussed the inflation vs immigration issue.

We had a prior regime that made a very aggressive effort to reduce immigration - including huge decreases in legal immigration.

And now every business in this country is struggling with hiring people. Wages continue to accelerate much in excess of what the Fed needs to get inflation under control.

Some folks should connect the dots.

Unless I've missed it... not a single person has discussed the inflation vs immigration issue.

We had a prior regime that made a very aggressive effort to reduce immigration - including huge decreases in legal immigration.

And now every business in this country is struggling with hiring people. Wages continue to accelerate much in excess of what the Fed needs to get inflation under control.

You’re reaching. There isn’t any dots to connect.

You’re reaching. There isn’t any dots to connect.
There are large companies that took advantage of the inflation situation. When corps talk about price elasticity in their earnings report, it is no secret what they are talking about. Not saying this the only reason for inflation, but in some incidents (mostly large food/consumer goods corps) it happened.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
There are large companies that took advantage of the inflation situation. When corps talk about price elasticity in their earnings report, it is no secret what they are talking about. Not saying this the only reason for inflation, but in some incidents (mostly large food/consumer goods corps) it happened.
You have to include margins to prove they were taking advantage (not saying some didn’t). Are you talking about Kroger and etc.? Their margins are low single digits usually. You can’t expect them to operate in the red.

Last edited:
You ignore supply/ demand in the labor market?

No, and the article points out the immigration issue happened during the pandemic. According to the article it accounts for 1% of jobs and those are going to be lowering paying jobs. How much wage inflation do you think that has caused? Sorry, I don’t see how it’s much of an issue for the current inflation.

Wages are not going up anywhere near inflation. If you're claiming we're not allowing enough immigrants to come in to supply the workforce, have you taken a look at the labor participation rate? It's at record low levels. That has nothing to do with immigration, legal or otherwise.

Wages are not going up anywhere near inflation. If you're claiming we're not allowing enough immigrants to come in to supply the workforce, have you taken a look at the labor participation rate? It's at record low levels. That has nothing to do with immigration, legal or otherwise.

Lots of people found out during the pandemic that they didn't have to work as much as they had been, if at all. A little belt tightening and lowering ones "lifestyle" a bit can go a long way. I have nothing to back it up, but I also suspect a number of people who might otherwise have waited until full retirement age went ahead and retired early.

Whoever you read, stop it. They are clueless and your last sentence is really dumb and would have only compounded the issue. Let me guess you’re also for price controls? I’m sure making companies less or not profitable will help the issue of not enough supply🙄 Please explain how increasing the money supply by 40% isn’t going to cause inflation?
I never get to his last sentence. He actually doesn’t write sentences. I don’t know what that nonsense is, but it’s not normal respectful English. He doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously if he can’t post seriously.

Lots of people found out during the pandemic that they didn't have to work as much as they had been, if at all. A little belt tightening and lowering ones "lifestyle" a bit can go a long way. I have nothing to back it up, but I also suspect a number of people who might otherwise have waited until full retirement age went ahead and retired early.
Well, and when the government is sending you a big check every so often and you don't have to pay rent or education loans, why bother going to work?

We are also seeing the results of tax credits for working folks making a certain level and workers understanding they will pay zero federal tax if they only work to a certain level.

It's a lot more than belt tightening and lowered lifestyle.

Well, and when the government is sending you a big check every so often and you don't have to pay rent or education loans, why bother going to work?

We are also seeing the results of tax credits for working folks making a certain level and workers understanding they will pay zero federal tax if they only work to a certain level.

It's a lot more than belt tightening and lowered lifestyle.

Do you post stuff like this seriously or are you just throwing out low level trolling?

I'd agree with you on the student loans, but the rest of your points hold water about as good as a sheet of gas station toilet paper

Reactions: UncleMark
Do you post stuff like this seriously or are you just throwing out low level trolling?

I'd agree with you on the student loans, but the rest of your points hold water about as good as a sheet of gas station toilet paper
What's not correct about what I posted?

Are you still clinging to your laughable claim that immigration is the reason for the lowered work force? That got an audible guffaw from me.

you're either economically totally clueless or totally dishonest or both.

wage growth lags way behind inflation, has for 40 plus yrs, and thus is a drag on inflation rather than a driver.

as for the current "employee shortage", that's due to boomers leaving the job market due to covid and not coming back, and the surge in the gig economy which allows for non employer financed jobs.

that said, corp/big bank owned Fed chaiman Jerome Powell was bemoaning the other day how immigration has lagged behind projections since before Trump, and currently still is.

and being he was in front of a far right audience, he basically came right out and said his current rate policy was designed to curb wage growth, not inflation.

raising costs for business and home ownership, which is exactly what rate hikes do, literally drives further inflation rather than restricts it.

Last edited:
People retiring early or who had waited to retire are likely not the jobs that would be filled by the type of immigrants walking across the southern border.

Wife does the shopping but I stopped to pick up eggs and coffee today... yikes.

My junk food runs have been a bit more costly of late, but luckily I'm getting a big raise next month and my health care premium is going down a tad.

People retiring early or who had waited to retire are likely not the jobs that would be filled by the type of immigrants walking across the southern border.

No, but it might explain some of the drop in the labor participation rate. Which was what I was addressing.

2-3 trillion dollar deficits incoming? Government spending is out of f#cking control.
For those not worried about government spending, how do you think this ends?

Does the U.S. keep running up the tab and it never affects its citizens? Its ability to borrow? Does it one day just say "we aren't paying"?

Does the U.S. get to a point where it actually can pay back the debt? What is that point?

How much is too much?

Does the U.S. keep running up the tab and it never affects its citizens? Its ability to borrow? Does it one day just say "we aren't paying"?

Does the U.S. get to a point where it actually can pay back the debt? What is that point?

How much is too much?

No one knows, do they? Wasn't it Dick Chaney who said "deficits no longer matter"?

Of course, there will be those who say that today's inflation is caused by Biden's deficits. I just wonder what it is about running big deficits now that's different than running the big deficits before. After all these years, did we finally hit the magic number?

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
No one knows, do they? Wasn't it Dick Chaney who said "deficits no longer matter"?

Of course, there will be those who say that today's inflation is caused by Biden's deficits. I just wonder what it is about running big deficits now that's different than running the big deficits before. After all these years, did we finally hit the magic number?
I don't really care about blame.

I just want to know what people think will happen if the U.S. continues to increase our debt and not do anything about it. Do we just start printing money?

I don't really care about blame.

I just want to know what people think will happen if the U.S. continues to increase our debt and not do anything about it. Do we just start printing money?
Or enough politicians decide it does matter and tax the shit out of us.

Again, no one knows, do they? I've been hearing about how deficits and the national debt would be our downfall since the 60s, when I was just getting old enough to know about money. To a kid growing up in a Republican home and getting his first experience with earning and spending money, it made sense to me that it was crazy that the government could spend more than it took it. It still does. But they've gotten away with it for my lifetime.

At some point the response to "This can't go on!" might be "Why not?"

Of course, there will be those who say that today's inflation is caused by Biden's deficits. I just wonder what it is about running big deficits now that's different than running the big deficits before. After all these years, did we finally hit the magic number

I'm getting a big raise next month and my health care premium is going down a tad.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Or enough politicians decide it does matter and tax the shit out of us.
Doubt it happens. Taxing the “wealthy” doesn’t produce enough money, so they would have to tax everyone. They’ll choose the easier route, inflation, in my opinion.

How much is too much?

Doubt it happens. Taxing the “wealthy” doesn’t produce enough money, so they would have to tax everyone. They’ll choose the easier route, inflation, in my opinion.
Tax. Cut spending. Hope outside events raise $ like the dot.com bubble etc

Again, no one knows, do they? I've been hearing about how deficits and the national debt would be our downfall since the 60s, when I was just getting old enough to know about money. To a kid growing up in a Republican home and getting his first experience with earning and spending money, it made sense to me that it was crazy that the government could spend more than it took it. It still does. But they've gotten away with it for my lifetime.

Some know how it ends. It’s how empires/countries fall part. It just takes a really long time to happen.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Tax. Cut spending. Hope outside events raise $ like the dot.com bubble etc
Lol…that’s reasonable and makes sense. So, not happening.

Why would Democrats ever take that deal? Most of their platform is bigger government and we can save you. The reality is a majority of the country wants more government and they don’t understand the consequences of overspending.

Lol…that’s reasonable and makes sense. So, not happening.

Why would Democrats ever take that deal? Most of their platform is bigger government and we can save you. The reality is a majority of the country wants more government and they don’t understand the consequences of overspending.
Republicans are guilty too. Reagan. Bush etc. just spend it differently

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

How much is too much?
Running deficits and increasing debt are already affecting citizens. It’s a major contributor to income inequality for example.

I mean, at some point, say if we owe more money than the world's entire GDP, wouldn't people say "Uh, don't buy US Treasuries?"

2-3 trillion dollar deficits incoming? Government spending is out of f#cking control.

it's about time the WSJ reported on and expressed some outrage regarding the large deficits generated by the economically reckless gross under taxation of the top investor and billionaire class, and it's ensuing threat to the US's monetary health.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT