ADVERTISEMENT

Bias against IU: Trouble's Rating Drops

Unbelievable.

This guy haf a great summer. Named MVP of all receivers in a camp. Yet he drops out of the Rivals 100 and goes from 6.0 to 5.9?

What gives?

I read on a Rivals report that he actually didn't have a great summer and struggled a bit. Had trouble getting separation and making tough grabs against better competition.

Here's the article he was referring to:
https://n.rivals.com/news/stock-report-five-rivals100-prospects-whose-stock-is-falling

Also, the tweet above is from April, the dicussion above was from other camps and observations this summer.

You also have to look at his rating on the other services. He's 298 on 247s ranking and is not in the ESPN 300. His current composite score is 200, but that will go down slightly once the new Rivals rating is reflected (still based on his 52).

All that being said -- it doesn't matter. I'm a Purdue fan and we went through (and still complain) about Rondale's rating (he was a 3* on Rivals!) All that matters is what he does for you when he gets there.

https://n.rivals.com/news/stock-report-five-rivals100-prospects-whose-stock-is-falling

Also, the tweet above is from April, the dicussion above was from other camps and observations this summer.

You also have to look at his rating on the other services. He's 298 on 247s ranking and is not in the ESPN 300. His current composite score is 200, but that will go down slightly once the new Rivals rating is reflected (still based on his 52).

All that being said -- it doesn't matter. I'm a Purdue fan and we went through (and still complain) about Rondale's rating (he was a 3* on Rivals!) All that matters is what he does for you when he gets there.
I don't understand why you are so obsessed with IU and why you can't stop commenting on this board.

I don't understand why you are so obsessed with IU and why you can't stop commenting on this board.
I've made 19 total comments in 2 years.

FYI, i went to Ben Davis and followed IU football players from Tim Wilbur, David Ane, Scott McGowan, Tandon Doss ... on to Reese now. So i poke my head in here from time to time and comment. I've never flamed IU in my comments, but have defended Purdue and/or commented if there was something relevant.

Peace man.

FYI, i went to Ben Davis and followed IU football players from Tim Wilbur, David Ane, Scott McGowan, Tandon Doss ... on to Reese now. So i poke my head in here from time to time and comment. I've never flamed IU in my comments, but have defended Purdue and/or commented if there was something relevant.

Peace man.
I never wrote "Purdue" and Williams didn't go to Ben Davis.

You didnt have any reason to comment here.

Reactions: 76-1
Hope they drop his ratings to a low 3 star. Maybe then other programs will back off and not try to flip him. No matter what they rate him, he is still a major talent. Glad to have him as a Hoosier!

You missed the "and/or" ... sorry if you don't like people providing relevant facts on your comments. I follow recruiting pretty close (and follow Rashawn because he was a Purdue target) .. been tracking his ratings for a bit and just provided more info.

Relax, he isn't Fpaugh trolling. He was sharing a relevant fact, shared Rondale was also a 3* (would you dispute that was a big whiff now?) and went to Ben Davis and listed a long list of past & present BD Hoosiers. What's the big deal. Friendly PU banter is fine and we can all still want to destroy them in the bucket game without getting mad about some new relevant facts for the board. Don't be so kool aid drinking can't handle some information.

And I really don't care if it's a 5.9 or 6.0 - it's still 4* and he's still coming to IU right? That's fine with me, let his play in COLLEGE do the talking, not his hs rating from 247.

Relax, he isn't Fpaugh trolling. He was sharing a relevant fact, shared Rondale was also a 3* (would you dispute that was a big whiff now?) and went to Ben Davis and listed a long list of past & present BD Hoosiers. What's the big deal. Friendly PU banter is fine and we can all still want to destroy them in the bucket game without getting mad about some new relevant facts for the board. Don't be so kool aid drinking can't handle some information.

And I really don't care if it's a 5.9 or 6.0 - it's still 4* and he's still coming to IU right? That's fine with me, let his play in COLLEGE do the talking, not his hs rating from 247.

he came here only to rag on a young kid who's a great get.

let's not pretend it was something else.

trolls don't announce themselves as trolls.

doesn't mean they aren't.

Reactions: Flooded Timber
Am I not allowed to browse other teams Rival sites to see what's going on? I saw this post, and mentioned an article that discusses his drop. I didn't troll or anything, just gave an explanation I had read on his drop.

Who me? Why I am just passing on information. Being helpful. Just an innocent visit to your site with nothing but good intentions. I would stop by to pass on favorable information as well. Please!!!!! Why anyone feels the need to post on a message board of a rival amazes me. Too much time.

Reactions: 76-1
Who me? Why I am just passing on information. Being helpful. Just an innocent visit to your site with nothing but good intentions. I would stop by to pass on favorable information as well. Please!!!!! Why anyone feels the need to post on a message board of a rival amazes me. Too much time.
I’m seriously not here to troll, if he would have had a random spike in ratings I would have said a reasoning as well if I knew it.

Unbelievable.

This guy haf a great summer. Named MVP of all receivers in a camp. Yet he drops out of the Rivals 100 and goes from 6.0 to 5.9?

What gives?

I really don't care about ratings. Ratings are simply away for people who never played the game and couldn't Coach a team of all 5 Star recruits or get an assistant coaching position to make a living. Then there is that unholy alliance between rating services and those who run summer camps, by convincing parents that their child will only get a good rating and a good offer if they attend one or more camps. If these rating services were accurate, no player who received a one star rating or no rating would ever make it to the NFL.

And then you wonder if these ratings are adjusted based upon the school they they Commit to. If he had committed to Michigan or OSU, would his rating have dropped? We'll never know.

Reactions: vesuvius13

So Rivals is influenced by what the other services are doing...??

Herd mentality ?!?

They had Whop Philyor a two-star, Harry Crider underrated, and others.....(sounds like Rondale, too.), but they should not shift gears just because other sites have changed, even before he's played a down, just because he's going to IU....

Peace man.
Nothing wrong with getting honest comments from the (to us) Evil Empire once in a while here.....

Reactions: infinitymv
I really don't care about ratings. Ratings are simply away for people who never played the game and couldn't Coach a team of all 5 Star recruits or get an assistant coaching position to make a living. Then there is that unholy alliance between rating services and those who run summer camps, by convincing parents that their child will only get a good rating and a good offer if they attend one or more camps. If these rating services were accurate, no player who received a one star rating or no rating would ever make it to the NFL.

And then you wonder if these ratings are adjusted based upon the school they they Commit to. If he had committed to Michigan or OSU, would his rating have dropped? We'll never know.
A rule of thumb is that 1/3 of the players are better than their rating, 1/3 equal to their rating and 1/3 lower than their rating. There is no conspiracy is here. No deep state agendas.

REALLY..?!?? So fans all need to segregate ONLY to their own team's message board?? C'mon....

A rule of thumb is that 1/3 of the players are better than their rating, 1/3 equal to their rating and 1/3 lower than their rating. There is no conspiracy is here. No deep state agendas.
Yeah, but what fraction CHANGE their ratings based on the recruit GOING TO A CERTAIN TEAM (i.e. LOWER when going to - say - IU, RAISE when they go to - say - tO$U)....THAT is the problem.....Ratings should be OBJECTIVE, shouldn't they ??? And not CHANGE based on where a guy is recruited...

Yeah, but what fraction CHANGE their ratings based on the recruit GOING TO A CERTAIN TEAM (i.e. LOWER when going to - say - IU, RAISE when they go to - say - tO$U)....THAT is the problem.....Ratings should be OBJECTIVE, shouldn't they ??? And not CHANGE based on where a guy is recruited...
So you just didn't read the article about his performance at the 5* camp then? Didn't do well enough to move up and some lower-rated guys had hella good summers. He's still a top 250 recruit.

So Rivals is influenced by what the other services are doing...??

Herd mentality ?!?

They had Whop Philyor a two-star, Harry Crider underrated, and others.....(sounds like Rondale, too.), but they should not shift gears just because other sites have changed, even before he's played a down, just because he's going to IU....
No, not all … I didn’t intend to imply they should just all go to the same rating. In fact, we’ve had Woody and the other Rivals ratings guys on our boards explaining that they stand behind their ratings and don’t move them based upon what 247 or anybody else does. That said, you can’t tell me they don’t at least look at those when they are significantly different and at least re-visit how they got the rating they have.

Quite often it seems earlier in the cycle (i.e., before Junior year of HS), they are more varied and a lot of times it’s just due to how much exposure each service has to the recruit and what camps they attend. Over time, as the higher end guys go to more camps and get more game film, the ratings seem to converge.

In this case, the Rivals guys explained why they dropped him (speed and size had not advanced as much as they thought it would by now) and I was just pointing out what the other services had for rating (so it shouldn’t be a huge surprise when a guy drops from 50s to 110s when he’s roughly 300 on the other sites).

Keep in mind … anywhere in the top 250/300 is still a heck of a good rating and better than most of the historical recruits for Purdue or IU (I think right now Rashawn is your #4 recruit in 247 era). He’s a heck of a talent.

REALLY..?!?? So fans all need to segregate ONLY to their own team's message board?? C'mon....

if you post on another team's board to dis some kid, you're a dick or a troll or both.

i post on another team's board some, but only OT stuff, or politics, or general things like rule changes.

and only do so because they have the most active and interesting off topic stuff.

i don't go there to dis their team or school or say something negative about some kid, especially one i'd never even seen play.

Last edited:
if you post on another team's board to dis some kid, you're a dick or a troll or both.

i post on another team's board some, but only OT stuff, or politics, or general things like rule changes.

and only do so because they have the most active and interesting off topic stuff.

i don't go there to dis their team or school or say something negative about some kid, especially one i'd never even seen play.
Well, if it's only "to dis some kid", then I agree.....but otherwise I don't mind Purdon't people posting here to pull our chain & give us their (evil) perspective once in a while....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT