ADVERTISEMENT

Best Teams to Watch

Dec 5, 2018
Younger hoosier fan here (Senior at IU) that has been an IU basketball fan for years. I recently found a collection of old IU games on youtube (Galen Clavio’s account) and am looking to start going through some of the best teams from before I was a fan. What teams should I start with? I was thinking the Cheaney teams, 1987, and 2002. Any other suggestions? I don’t think theres much from before 1984 or so.

Younger hoosier fan here (Senior at IU) that has been an IU basketball fan for years. I recently found a collection of old IU games on youtube (Galen Clavio’s account) and am looking to start going through some of the best teams from before I was a fan. What teams should I start with? I was thinking the Cheaney teams, 1987, and 2002. Any other suggestions? I don’t think there's much from before 1984 or so.

Best games I can remember from that era.

A top ten?

83/84 IU vs UNC NCAAT
86/87 IU @ Michigan
86/87 IU vs UNLV NCAAT
86/87 IU vs Syracuse NCAAT
88/89 IU vs Michigan
91/92 IU vs UCLA NCAAT
92/93 IU @Michigan
93/94 IU vs Kentucky
01/02 IU vs Duke NCAAT
01/02 IU vs Oklahoma NCAAT

Last edited:
Best games I can remember

A top ten?

83/84 IU vs UNC NCAAT
86/87 IU @ Michigan
86/87 IU vs UNLV NCAAT
88/89 IU vs Michigan
91/92 IU vs UCLA NCAAT
92/93 IU @Michigan
93/94 IU vs Kentucky
01/02 IU vs Duke NCAAT

That UNLV game was a classic. Two heavyweights going toe-to-toe. All the "experts" didn't think IU could run with the Rebels. Can still see Alford walking to the free throw line after hitting a three and being fouled, both arms extended, holding up four fingers on each hand.

Reactions: Falky22 and 4IUSox2
Younger hoosier fan here (Senior at IU) that has been an IU basketball fan for years. I recently found a collection of old IU games on youtube (Galen Clavio’s account) and am looking to start going through some of the best teams from before I was a fan. What teams should I start with? I was thinking the Cheaney teams, 1987, and 2002. Any other suggestions? I don’t think theres much from before 1984 or so.

Get a copy of IU's game against Maryland in the 1981 NCAA. Classic Tolbert and Turner dunk fest and Isiah was at his best. This was against a Maryland team that had several future pros - Buck Williams and Albert King - and which started the game looking as if they were going to run IU out of the gym before the Hoosiers went to hyper-drive. Isiah put on a clinic on fast break basics.

That UNLV game was a classic. Two heavyweights going toe-to-toe. All the "experts" didn't think IU could run with the Rebels. Can still see Alford walking to the free throw line after hitting a three and being fouled, both arms extended, holding up four fingers on each hand.
That's the #1 game on my list. When we came out and ran with them ... no one expected that..

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Best games I can remember from that era.

A top ten?

83/84 IU vs UNC NCAAT
86/87 IU @ Michigan
86/87 IU vs UNLV NCAAT
88/89 IU vs Michigan
91/92 IU vs UCLA NCAAT
92/93 IU @Michigan
93/94 IU vs Kentucky
01/02 IU vs Duke NCAAT
That is a solid list. I have a soft spot for the '92 UCLA beatdown. IU played as perfect as possible, and they were playing like a contender peaking at the right time. The Shaq/LSU NCAA game and Duke game from the 92 NCAA's are also good, even though the result of the Duke game was a tough L. IU came out against Duke playing great, but weird, bad officiating took them out of the game: basically a passing of the torch from RMK to Coach K.

Last edited:
Reactions: kidhoosier
If you want to see some grit, the 83 team closed out with big wins at the end of the Big Ten season against the best conference teams to win the conference after losing back to back road games against Michigan and Michigan State. They did it without Ted Kitchel after he hurt his back.

With Kitchel, that team might well have been another final four team.

Another game I often point out is the '97 win against Michigan and their formidable front line (at home) that IU pulled out despite being without Andrae Patterson. That game exemplified how Indiana played under Knight when they could win without a ton of talent.

Get a copy of IU's game against Maryland in the 1981 NCAA. Classic Tolbert and Turner dunk fest and Isiah was at his best. This was against a Maryland team that had several future pros - Buck Williams and Albert King - and which started the game looking as if they were going to run IU out of the gym before the Hoosiers went to hyper-drive. Isiah put on a clinic on fast break basics.
The 1981 Maryland Massacre
One of my favorite all-time IU games.

1987-88 IU vs ND
Freshman Jay Edwards came in off the bench in a tight game with IU losing I believe, Jay Edwards torches ND in about a 3 or 4 minute stretch, Jay made every shot. steal, blocked shot, and IU wins going away. Jay started from then on, I believe.

I was traveling with the family for some reason and never got to see the Marquette game in '76. Come to think of it, I don't remember watching the Alabama game that year either. Were the non weekend tournament games televised in those days?

The IU-Vegas game was fun to watch, but don't forget the game before that- IU/LSU regional final. That game was not fun, 40 minutes of stress. I had nightmares of Jose Vargus for many weeks after.

IU @ WIsky 1987- triple overtime win...without the W we don't share the B10, maybe not a #1 seed, and the 87 season plays out differently. Game is significant for that reason, as well as starting the hate/hate relationship between RMK-IU and Ted Valentine.

ILL @ IU 1989 is awesome too. Just don't watch the last 2 seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT