ADVERTISEMENT

Best restaurants

I like Portillos beef. Not bad at all.

Re Indiana restaurants (not for Italian beef), my parents love Heston Supper Club in Chesterton/La Porte area.
I am with you on Portillos. I loved that place when I was a student at the Moody Bible Institute. We didn't go a lot because I was a father of three (had a fourth while there. I told the President of the school Dr. Joe Stowell when he congratulated me that I probably should have been studying) going to school. But when we had money it was Portillos or Giordanos Pizza.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Disappointed in you. I thought for sure we’d get a pic of the dream team tailgate tent
Would you settle for going to the tailgate?
CrazyFamousJuliabutterfly-max-1mb.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
There is a breakfast/brunch place called Yolk we like. Everything I've tried has been good.
First time I went was in Chicago but they've expanded to Indy.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
This may turn Indiana-centric as so many of us are Hoosiers, but what restaurant would you recommend everyone should try? I was thinking of this as my oldest mentioned stopping at Payne's British Restaurant in Gas City and absolutely loving it. I would never think of Gas City as the place to go for British food. I am sure there are restaurants around Indiana that it would be worth going to (or other places but I doubt many are driving to Topeka to try a restaurant).

So it can be a diner, high-end cuisine, bbq, anything. Are there places one simply can't miss?

Living in Bloomington, I'm not sure I have a place the rest of you haven't tried. But to list something, Three Amigos (two locations) has become our favorite Mexican (and since Mexican is the best food, it is the best overall).
British food in Gas City? Does surprise me, is there actually something in Topeka or just a throw out name?

Looks a lot like this place:

I havent eaten there in years, Essenhaus isn't really that good in my opinion anymore. Breakfast is best with their beef gravy made from the night before pot roast. Honestly you can get better chicken from a gas station.

Reactions: Lucy01
Nor should it. There is no fine dining in Bloomington, so what... it's a college town FFS....comparing it to world class dining cities is silly. Price points aren't comparable either, as you said.

I've had some amazing meals in SF.... it's been a number of years, however, since I've been.

Steakhouses, they can only get so good. I prefer creative chefs that give you something that's different than you ever have had, combining flavor profiles that just wow you.
I agree on steakhouses. Especially in summer, doing a steak on the grill is one of the easiest things to cook and cleanup. I might not get it quite as good, but I'd rather get something that requires a lot more pans and work and an actual recipe if I'm paying for it.

If you’re looking for Seafood, Paula‘s on Main. At the Fort is excellent.

Volcano is the best pizza period. Michael's. Columbo. There's so many. I wish falcones was still around and Nicky ds
Volcano is my favorite and closest to me. Volcano is different vs being a better or less version of the same basic thing which are still good.

Reactions: Indianaftw
Volcano is the best pizza period. Michael's. Columbo. There's so many. I wish falcones was still around and Nicky ds
Nicky D's!!!!! My man!!

I ate all these pizzas growing up. I agree Elkhart has the best pizza in Indiana, and better than any place I've lived or visited outside Chicago. Ever had Bruno's on the west side right off SR 19?

• Love
Nicky D's!!!!! My man!!

I ate all these pizzas growing up. I agree Elkhart has the best pizza in Indiana, and better than any place I've lived or visited outside Chicago. Ever had Bruno's on the west side right off SR 19?
When I visited Elkhart to be with a church member in the hospital Bill's BBQ was really good. It was in an old Long John Silvers. Very tasty.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Nicky D's!!!!! My man!!

Yes bomb. Love all that. Too bad so many closed. I loved Luccheses too. Still a great town for pizza though. Never knew you were from around there?

Nicky D's!!!!! My man!!

Any Indiana pizza restaurant list that doesn't include New Bethel Ordinary or The Willard is not worth reading.
So now, this one is.

• Angry
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I agree on steakhouses. Especially in summer, doing a steak on the grill is one of the easiest things to cook and cleanup. I might not get it quite as good, but I'd rather get something that requires a lot more pans and work and an actual recipe if I'm paying for it.
When it comes to steak I think it all starts with what you buy. You buy a crap steak you get a crap steak. Go to a farmers market and find someone selling beef or pork or whatever.

I bought some chicken breasts the other day from a butcher up in noblesville who buys from a farmer. They were 1/3 the size of chicken breasts I've bought anywhere else. All these places that say no steroids all natural, bs. This was the real deal.

The other meat is ground beef. You start cooking ground beef from any store and it doesn't smell good. You go to a farmers market, night and day different. It smells wonderful.

Wilson's is up 31 and they have damn good meat. The butcher up in noblesville is killer too.

Halls for Prime Rib. Baker Street for Steak.

Last edited:
When it comes to steak I think it all starts with what you buy. You buy a crap steak you get a crap steak. Go to a farmers market and find someone selling beef or pork or whatever.

I bought some chicken breasts the other day from a butcher up in noblesville who buys from a farmer. They were 1/3 the size of chicken breasts I've bought anywhere else. All these places that say no steroids all natural, bs. This was the real deal.

The other meat is ground beef. You start cooking ground beef from any store and it doesn't smell good. You go to a farmers market, night and day different. It smells wonderful.

Wilson's is up 31 and they have damn good meat. The butcher up in noblesville is killer too.
It is the biggest factor, Meijer has really good beef for a chain store. I can't even imagine buying meat at Kroger or Walmart . I have a couple local butchers too I haven't really used , Martin's Wakarusa is good . I have had such good luck with Meijer I don't really go anywhere else.

To me the difference on great steak it can only get so much better unless you totally mutilate it. When eating out I like things that are a lot harder to do on my own . Summertime, throw a few ears of corn on the grill and steam fresh in season asparagus or green beans , new potatoes is pretty simple and I am pretty good at. Anything baked beyond meatloaf no . One of my favorite movies lines from Father Goose with Cary Grant, Leslie Caron says I have an infuriating lack of talent for doing simple things...........Probably because you dont do them right.

Lucy u have not lived. I'll buy your volcano pizza if you drive up and get one.
They are both my favorites, different . Volcano is a few miles away, too far for delivery but close. Pizza King is 25 miles away so more of a treat. If I am close by I get a 16'' Royal Feast and it does warm up well. Volcano sandwiches are great too.

Which reminds me, I need to reply STOP to the messages I keep getting from Imos Pizza (?). Assholes made me sign up to do an online order last time I was in St. Louis

Pizza sucked too.
St. Louis is the worst pizza town in America. Provel Frankenstein cheese is a pillowy gack I can’t explain. Evansville tavern pizza is only slightly less gross because it doesn’t use Provel. Yeeeckkkk.

Bourbon and Steak in Nashville is awesome and a must if you go there. I like HC Tavern + Kitchen if you're in Hamilton county. I wouldn't consider it a must, but it's a good place to eat.
I liked Jack Browns before they started being a franchise. The Cobra Kai burger was legit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT