ADVERTISEMENT

Belmont?

They have four Hoosiers on their team. In past years they had even more Hoosiers. Do you or anyone else know why there are so many on Belmont?

Byrd runs a disciplined offensive system that requires players with high basketball IQ and the ability to knock down perimeter shots. Indiana tends to have a big supply of those types of players. Traditionally Belmont had 6'7" or 6'8" skinny post players that could all shoot the ball but the last several years he's put more emphasis on having a couple of true post players on the roster. In my opinion that's why they're more competitive in the NCAA tourney now vs. previous years - they've got the size to defend the post better and actually have players with back to the basket post moves.

Byrd runs a disciplined offensive system that requires players with high basketball IQ and the ability to knock down perimeter shots. Indiana tends to have a big supply of those types of players. Traditionally Belmont had 6'7" or 6'8" skinny post players that could all shoot the ball but the last several years he's put more emphasis on having a couple of true post players on the roster. In my opinion that's why they're more competitive in the NCAA tourney now vs. previous years - they've got the size to defend the post better and actually have players with back to the basket post moves.
He didn't play all four years because of injury, but Belmont had an Indiana kid from Plymouth named Mack Mercer. He was a 6'9" post player in high school and didn't tear it up but seeing him play you could tell he knew how to play correctly.

Are you aware of anyone on the staff who has Indiana connections?

They have very low admissions standards and only Hoosiers and Mississippians can get in
Awwww . . . you got rejected by Belmont. ;)

Actually, Belmont is a good academic school with a very pretty, if small, campus. Their music and music engineering programs feed an awful lot of musicians and engineers to the considerable number of music and recording businesses in the Nashville area. I had a buddy of mine who played QB at South Carolina, and his son was a pitcher on Belmont's baseball team . . . which is also a good program.

I wouldn't mind my grandkids going to Belmont . . . .

Dylan Windler of Belmont and Perry Meridian HS, is a better perimeter shooter than anyone on the currect IU roster.

Belmont should have beaten B1G Maryland.

Yep - I was disappointed they couldn't get it done. Not sure what they were thinking having anyone but Windler handling the ball in the final seconds. Byrd's a great coach but that one kind of surprised me.

ADVERTISEMENT