ADVERTISEMENT

Belmont?

demunn

Sophomore
Mar 15, 2017
So we suck and didn't deserve to get in but you let Belmont with a I AA/Division II schedule in as an at-large? This team played a bunch of teams we would have propped up our record in during the Indiana or Hoosier classic. They beat literally nobody all year.

So we suck and didn't deserve to get in but you let Belmont with a I AA/Division II schedule in as an at-large? This team played a bunch of teams we would have propped up our record in during the Indiana or Hoosier classic. They beat literally nobody all year.

I would rather see a 26-5 team from a smaller conference get an opportunity to play bigger schools (not many will play them, especially on the road) than to watch a sub .500 P5 team in the tourney. I love IU basketball, and the last 20 years have killed me... but if you can't go at least .500 in conference, how do you deserve to be in?

I would rather see a 26-5 team from a smaller conference get an opportunity to play bigger schools (not many will play them, especially on the road) than to watch a sub .500 P5 team in the tourney. I love IU basketball, and the last 20 years have killed me... but if you can't go at least .500 in conference, how do you deserve to be in?
Are you back, WI?

I watched Belmont in the OVC tournament in Evansville. They’re pretty good - probably better than we are.

Dylan Windler, out of Perry Meridian, is a fantastic player. The game I saw, he had 36 points (8 3FGs) and 21 rebounds.
Everyone laughed when they beat Alford and it got Alford fired

emm. Maybe. But obviously IU is a better cash cow for the NIT (owned by NCAA) than Belmont.

Like I said before - Belmont is very well coached (Byrd has over 800 wins), run a disciplined system, have multiple players who knock down 3s with consistency, play hard all the time, and show up prepared to play every game. IU has none of those attributes. IU pissed away their season and didn’t deserve to make the tourney.

Yes...the committee pretty much said it's not who you play, it's how many wins you get...
The NCAA selection committee changed the rules of the game AFTER IU beefed up its schedule. IU football needs to take note and schedule all wins in non-B1G season. Must get wins to be bowl eligible. That should be the goal for IU football, every year. IU football needs to crawl before they can run with the NCAA football big dogs. B1G East is a guaranteed 4 losses (OSU, PSU, UM, MSU) must beat Rutgsrs, Maryland. Unlikely to beat Purdue now with Brohm at PU.

The NCAA selection committee changed the rules of the game AFTER IU beefed up its schedule. IU football needs to take note and schedule all wins in non-B1G season. Must get wins to be bowl eligible. That should be the goal for IU football, every year. IU football needs to crawl before they can run with the NCAA football big dogs. B1G East is a guaranteed 4 losses (OSU, PSU, UM, MSU) must beat Rutgsrs, Maryland. Unlikely to beat Purdue now with Brohm at PU.

Worse, they voided their stated rules on selection night. Logically, IU in the NIY both IU and the NCAA will pull in more money, especially if IU makes a run, then IU as an out in one in the NCAA.

Quads, quality wins, records meant nothing. IU's showed they could complete against top talent, inconsistently but we did turn win quality recently. It all comes down to what senerio brings in the most cash.

Absolutely Belmont instead of IU. They do deserve an opportunity. IU lost so many games they should have won, and if they had won just 1 more of those, maybe, just maybe, you would have an argument. I commend the committee for giving a team like Belmont a chance, and not a team that wasted tons of opportunities.

They are better than IU.

First, I'm not saying IU should have been in (we should not have) but in 10 matchups, we're beating Belmont at least 8/10 times. With that schedule and with our terrible play, we're probably 29-2 at least.

First, I'm not saying IU should have been in (we should not have) but in 10 matchups, we're beating Belmont at least 8/10 times. With that schedule and with our terrible play, we're probably 29-2 at least.

It's hard to know unless teams actually match up at least once...let alone 10 times. But, having watched both teams, I'm just not sure about that.

I'd like to think you're right, of course. But I have my doubts. The Belmont team I saw played hard, played smart, played together, had a bonafide star who I'm guessing will make some noise in the NBA, etc.

Compare that to, for instance, what we saw against OSU....careless turnover after careless turnover, outhustled on the boards, etc. And in a game touted as a play-in game, no less.

Reactions: BigMobe
Again speculation that cannot be proven..............

We went 12-2 in non conference. It’s not like we schedule like Duke or UK.

Beat teams like Rutgers, Nebraska, and Northwestern and we’d be in. You shouldn’t even be eligible if you’re 8-12 in conference. That’s a mockery.

Again speculation that cannot be proven..............
The point is, what is the criteria?? Volumes of wins against crappy teams or degree of difficulty?

Apparently wins rule and competition strength really doesn't matter so lesson learned for us--we should schedule cupcakes all the way into the B10 season because beating Q1 schools doesn't matter. Again, I agree we suck and don't belong in the tournament. However, Belmont is in a conference with the caliber of 10 IPFWs and they have a player lighting it up against such. At least let the criteria be transparent so we can follow the "logic".

NCST did exactly that—353 NC SoS. They’re also in the Little Dance.

IU is out because they found a way to lose to the 12th, 13th and 14th place teams in the conference. End of story.

The point is, what is the criteria?? Volumes of wins against crappy teams or degree of difficulty?

Apparently wins rule and competition strength really doesn't matter so lesson learned for us--we should schedule cupcakes all the way into the B10 season because beating Q1 schools doesn't matter. Again, I agree we suck and don't belong in the tournament. However, Belmont is in a conference with the caliber of 10 IPFWs and they have a player lighting it up against such. At least let the criteria be transparent so we can follow the "logic".
10 IPFWs!
Easy there...you know what that will bring back up!

Lol - let me guess - you’ve never watched a single game they’ve played this year. Keep dreaming fan boy. This Hoosiers team doesn’t even win 5/10 against Belmont on a neutral court - mostly because IU’s season showed that they wouldn’t even bother showing up for 4 of the games.

IU was 5-6 against teams in the NCAA with a 7 or better seed. We'd roll Belmont and the selection committee again went against the grain. MSU as the #6 overall seed with Minny and MD in the same bracket tells you how biased the committee is against the B1G. Belmont would have finished dead last in the B1G.

IU was 5-6 against teams in the NCAA with a 7 or better seed. We'd roll Belmont and the selection committee again went against the grain. MSU as the #6 overall seed with Minny and MD in the same bracket tells you how biased the committee is against the B1G. Belmont would have finished dead last in the B1G.

Lol

So that also means IND was 12-9 against everyone else. Including losses to four teams who didn't even make the field in Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers and Arkansas. If IU can lose to one of those teams, they can lose to BEL.

we finished 9th out of 14 in our own conference. enough said

Well you guys don't know basketball from pig racing. The final 4 in the OVC was pretty darn good. I have Belmont winning against Maryland in my bracket, which means I had them tonight for the win over Temple. The Capper doesn't work, hangs out at the track and can cash a check in any bar in three states.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
The bottom line is this … we lost 12 of 13 at one point, and if not for some shockingly surprising wins, this season was basically a shit show and after we returned to old ways in BTT, why should have the committee given us the benefit of the doubt? We had a clear path in … win the damn BTT or at least show up and make a run. Could we have done either, probably yes. Did we try very hard at it, no. So, yes, Belmont deserves it more.

Absolutely Belmont instead of IU. They do deserve an opportunity. IU lost so many games they should have won, and if they had won just 1 more of those, maybe, just maybe, you would have an argument. I commend the committee for giving a team like Belmont a chance, and not a team that wasted tons of opportunities.
They have four Hoosiers on their team. In past years they had even more Hoosiers. Do you or anyone else know why there are so many on Belmont?

They have four Hoosiers on their team. In past years they had even more Hoosiers. Do you or anyone else know why there are so many on Belmont?
Cause dumbass Crean thought he had to fly to Arizona and Texas to find adequate ball players, I would love to know the jerks on this site that defended Crean in year 6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT