ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

ff70ce2643c6eeaa84a76bbab5adb213_640x640.jpg

This evenings libation. Such a good RIS. Doesn't matter that is hot as balls.
That is a phenomenal beer. I'm in Chicago and had a couple of bottles of Zombie Dust tonight. It's losing a bit of its allure for me. My palate has definitely evolved. One bonus - the bartender sold me a 6er that I can mule back to Minnesota for Little O. He's still infatuated with The Dust.

YdTkb99.jpg

That is a phenomenal beer. I'm in Chicago and had a couple of bottles of Zombie Dust tonight. It's losing a bit of its allure for me. My palate has definitely evolved. One bonus - the bartender sold me a 6er that I can mule back to Minnesota for Little O. He's still infatuated with The Dust.

YdTkb99.jpg
What's the bottle date on the neck?

I will not drink ZD outside of 30 days. I've never had a beer that falls off so quick. If it's old, I'll hook Little O up....

Toppling Goliath Mosaic PseudoSue is top notch. Highly recommended.

Dogfish Head Flesh & Blood IPA is ok. Not one of my favorites by them.

Reactions: ovaltine
Started Friday night off with a classic. This is still what I judge all Belgian Blondes against, and it's still very tasty.

leffe-web.jpg

I've now moved onto this....a crowd favorite. With @Hank Reardon help, I've brewed a clone of this a couple times, and it's been great. My last drops are running out on the keg, and I don't brew much in summer, so it was good to see this in the shop.

Founders%2BMosaic%2BPromise.JPG

Finishing the evening with some Buffalo Sweat from Tallgrass Brewing, Manhattan Kansas. This is one of my preferred stouts, though I actually prefer the vanilla bean milk stout version of this that they do, even more. Unfortunately, haven't been able to get it lately.

buffalo-sweat.jpg

Started Friday night off with a classic. This is still what I judge all Belgian Blondes against, and it's still very tasty.

leffe-web.jpg

I've now moved onto this....a crowd favorite. With @Hank Reardon help, I've brewed a clone of this a couple times, and it's been great. My last drops are running out on the keg, and I don't brew much in summer, so it was good to see this in the shop.

Founders%2BMosaic%2BPromise.JPG
What would you compare that Founders Mosaic Promise to as a similiar? I skipped on it at store for Taxman Deduction the other day.
That stout you poster below looks great.
Ive been on Against The Grain 35k stout lately.

What would you compare that Founders Mosaic Promise to as a similiar? I skipped on it at store for Taxman Deduction the other day.
That stout you poster below looks great.
Ive been on Against The Grain 35k stout lately.

MP is a wonderful hoppy IPA, very hop forward, not at all bitter.
The beer is brewed with only two ingredients, golden promise malt and mosaic hops. Golden promsise is a bit sweeter than your more standard 2 row malt.

Mosaic hops are hard to explain, they are quite complex, in that they taste more like a multiple hop combo.

Very difficult to find an easy comparison.

I've yet to have anyone not really like the combo. IPA hop heads will like it, as will your MIL that is used to drinking Blue Moon. It's only like 5.5 to 6 ABV.

Mosaic hops are hard to explain, they are quite complex, in that they taste more like a multiple hop combo.

That's a good way to put it. On its own I get more of a tropical or passion fruit flavor/aroma from it, as opposed to the traditional grapefruit character you get from things like Centennial or Columbus. I think that's why it presents as less harsh bitterness.

But as you say it seems multi-layered which makes it easy to pair with lots of other hops whether they're piney, herbal, citrusy...whatever. My favorite combo is Citra/Mosaic, which is the combination in Deschutes Fresh Squeezed., along with nugget.

Reactions: twenty02
MP is a wonderful hoppy IPA, very hop forward, not at all bitter.
The beer is brewed with only two ingredients, golden promise malt and mosaic hops. Golden promsise is a bit sweeter than your more standard 2 row malt.

Very difficult to find an easy comparison.

I've yet to have anyone not really like the combo. IPA hop heads will like it, as will your MIL that is used to drinking Blue Moon. It's only like 5.5 to 6 ABV.

Mosaic Promise has base malt and a little wheat as well. I used two row.

Last edited:
That's a good way to put it. On its own I get more of a tropical or passion fruit flavor/aroma from it, as opposed to the traditional grapefruit character you get from things like Centennial or Columbus. I think that's why it presents as less harsh bitterness.

But as you say it seems multi-layered which makes it easy to pair with lots of other hops whether they're piney, herbal, citrusy...whatever. My favorite combo is Citra/Mosaic, which is the combination in Deschutes Fresh Squeezed., along with nugget.
Todd The Axe Man is a Citra/Mosaic combo. It's traveshamockery good.

Speaking of Surly, they're doubling their brewery capacity. Again. I predict they'll have distro in Indiana in 2017.

My last brew, prior to shutting down for the summer, was 50/50 GP and 2 Row. And then 50/50 mosaic and citra.

Did bitter with magnum at 60m, but 5m, 0m, 20m hopstand and 40m hopstand of mosaic/citra (3oz per addition....12oz total).

Was the best beer I've ever made, and will be my house IPA once I get back to brewing in the fall.

Reactions: LeConte
Taking a trip Saturday from Indy to Grand Rapids. Looking to hit a brewery either on the way up, or actually in GR, for lunch and a couple pints.

Any recommendations?

Right now Founders and Bell's have been the only 2 mentioned.

Per Founders website, they use only golden promise malt.

It simply says they showcase two main ingredients. One of my brewing friends is buddies with one of their Brewers - he corrected us on the matter a while back. His clone is spot on.

Taking a trip Saturday from Indy to Grand Rapids. Looking to hit a brewery either on the way up, or actually in GR, for lunch and a couple pints.

Any recommendations?

I lived in GR until a few years ago. Depends on how much time you have, but Founders and Bell's are the gold standard of any place I've ever been. If you only have time for one, I would choose Founders -- the number of tapped beers thy have that you can't get anywhere else is amazing, and it just has a really cool vibe. I realize now how spoiled I was to have that place in my backyard.

Another great place in GR is Brewery Vivant -- especially if you like Belgian-inspired beers. Great atmosphere and really good beers.

I'd also recommend Greenbush in Sawyer MI, which is on the way to or from GR (depending on how you get there) on I-94. They have really good beer (although all high gravity and high ABV), and I've never seen it outside of Michigan.

Dark Horse is also up there near Bell's -- if you're going up 69 to get there you would pass it on the way.

Finally, if you're in Holland, make a stop at New Holland.

It simply says they showcase two main ingredients. One of my brewing friends is buddies with one of their Brewers - he corrected us on the matter a while back. His clone is spot on.

Good to know...the way they write it: "showcases a single malt and a single hop" would lead you to believe that's all there is, a little wheat wouldn't surprise me though.

Good to know...the way they write it: "showcases a single malt and a single hop" would lead you to believe that's all there is, a little wheat wouldn't surprise me though.

I dunno. The original press release from 2014 on their own web site says it's a single malt/single hop beer:

"We’re excited to announce that we’re going to release Mosaic Promise, an ale brewed with a single malt and a single hop, this September. Proceeds from the sale of this new ale will benefit ArtPrize, the world’s largest art competition that takes place annually in Grand Rapids, Mich. Mosaic Promise will be sold in Michigan, Wisconsin, greater New York City and greater Chicago both on draft and in 12 oz. bottles with a suggested retail price of $9.99 per 6-pack."

Maybe it was changed since then. But at one time it was clearly described as a single malt beer.

I dunno. The original press release from 2014 on their own web site says it's a single malt/single hop beer:

"We’re excited to announce that we’re going to release Mosaic Promise, an ale brewed with a single malt and a single hop, this September. Proceeds from the sale of this new ale will benefit ArtPrize, the world’s largest art competition that takes place annually in Grand Rapids, Mich. Mosaic Promise will be sold in Michigan, Wisconsin, greater New York City and greater Chicago both on draft and in 12 oz. bottles with a suggested retail price of $9.99 per 6-pack."

Maybe it was changed since then. But at one time it was clearly described as a single malt beer.

Could be a cost saver, as wheat is cheaper than GP, and may not be noticeable at smaller levels.

Any recommendations?

I assume you'll be taking 31 straight north? I can't argue with anything in Grand Rapids, but I would recommend Bare Hands in Granger. It would be a nice halfway point. If you're heading I-69 then this isn't an option.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
I assume you'll be taking 31 straight north? I can't argue with anything in Grand Rapids, but I would recommend Bare Hands in Granger. It would be a nice halfway point. If you're heading I-69 then this isn't an option.

Haven't decided, we've done both in the past. I'll probably check Google maps Sat morning and see what the travel estimates look like.

So I went to the grand opening of the local HopCat here in Louis-tucky on Saturday -- mainly because they had KBS, Narwhal, Black Butte XXVIII, and a few other hard-to-find beers on tap. The beers were great, but they were pouring the high ABV ones in 5.5 oz snifters! I get trying ti be responsible and all...but 5.5 oz.?!? And you still had to pay full boat for the "glass" Oh well, still had a great time.. Also, if you get the opportunity, try Mushhushu from Rhinegeist. Very excellent --- gives KBS and Narwhal a run for the money.

31 is light-free? If you had to pay me $10 for every time I drove through Kokomo from 1981 through 1999, you'd have to sell the internets to pay me.

Yep, there were maybe 4 stop lights between Indy and S Bend. Mainly interstate level driving now.

So ended up going to Founders Saturday for beers and lunch. It's quite the spectacle, the place is huge, I think 4 different bars....and it was pretty much full when we got there about 1230p. We snagged a couple bar seats, and were fortunate to find them.

Had a few offerings of things I can't buy at home, but the BA Redankulous was probably the most memorable. Double IPA bourbon barrel aged. Was wonderful, had a lot of bourbon flavor. At 12.5%, only had one.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/238070/

Food was good, beer prices were very reasonable, easy to see why it was such a popular spot on a Saturday.

Reactions: LeConte
I don't know how many of you beer ninjas have tried this, but I can't recommend it highly enough. It defies style classification, but it is magnificent, IMHO. It is chocolatey hoppy deliciousness.

o8bkgBh.jpg

Picked up a 6 pack of this based on your recommendation. I hope it lives up to it! Also snagged a 4-pack of Half Acre Navaja. #TrainBeer returns tonight on the commute home

So I went to the grand opening of the local HopCat here in Louis-tucky on Saturday -- mainly because they had KBS, Narwhal, Black Butte XXVIII, and a few other hard-to-find beers on tap. The beers were great, but they were pouring the high ABV ones in 5.5 oz snifters! I get trying ti be responsible and all...but 5.5 oz.?!? And you still had to pay full boat for the "glass" Oh well, still had a great time.. Also, if you get the opportunity, try Mushhushu from Rhinegeist. Very excellent --- gives KBS and Narwhal a run for the money.
Not sure where you've been sampling those kinds of beer, but the higher abv beers are always poured in smaller glasses around here. Couple reasons - one, the bar is basically doing the math on how many pours they get from the keg, and based on what the keg costs (and for example KBS costs a lot more than a normal keg) they figure out how many they can pour and still make the same profit margin. And two, smaller glasses give more people a chance to sample.

Only place I've seen KBS in larger than a small snifter was at a local pour-your-own place called Brewfest - they had KBS, and it blew out in an hour or two because asshats were pouring 16 oz pints of it. Owner told me he'll never do that again.

Not sure where you've been sampling those kinds of beer, but the higher abv beers are always poured in smaller glasses around here. Couple reasons - one, the bar is basically doing the math on how many pours they get from the keg, and based on what the keg costs (and for example KBS costs a lot more than a normal keg) they figure out how many they can pour and still make the same profit margin. And two, smaller glasses give more people a chance to sample.

Only place I've seen KBS in larger than a small snifter was at a local pour-your-own place called Brewfest - they had KBS, and it blew out in an hour or two because asshats were pouring 16 oz pints of it. Owner told me he'll never do that again.

Snifters are normal, but 5.5oz is pretty small. Founders was serving their high ABV on Saturday at 8oz.

One that was ridiculous though, March madness Thursday last year, local bar gets a keg of Zombie Dust and serves it in little 10 oz plastic solo cups for $6/ea.

Snifters are normal, but 5.5oz is pretty small. Founders was serving their high ABV on Saturday at 8oz.

One that was ridiculous though, March madness Thursday last year, local bar gets a keg of Zombie Dust and serves it in little 10 oz plastic solo cups for $6/ea.
At Founders, maybe I can see that, because they aren't paying wholesale for their own keg. They wouldn't be selling an 8 oz pour if they were buying the keg from a distributor or directly from another brewery.

The Zombie Dust was pure profiteering.

At Founders, maybe I can see that, because they aren't paying wholesale for their own keg. They wouldn't be selling an 8 oz pour if they were buying the keg from a distributor or directly from another brewery.

The Zombie Dust was pure profiteering.

Must vary, as my local does 10oz pours on all the high abv options....maybe they would go smaller on a very rare whale, can't recall.

I'm used to smaller pours for these beers, but have never seen a 5.5 oz before. It was literally about 5 sips and the glass was done. But I did like that I got there late in the day and there was still some available. First world problems...

Must vary, as my local does 10oz pours on all the high abv options....maybe they would go smaller on a very rare whale, can't recall.
My locals usually do 10 oz pours on sours, IIPAs, big stouts and other imperials. Usually$6-10 per draught, depending on what it is.

I'm enjoying a Victory Tart Ten right now. I've been drinking a ton of ipas recently (shocking) and just needed something a little bit different to change that. This is a very damn good beer as I love Brett yeast and it drinks really easily. I made a little mistake though because I was anticipating it was around 6 or 7%. Its actually 10.Victory is just so solid.

My locals usually do 10 oz pours on sours, IIPAs, big stouts and other imperials. Usually$6-10 per draught, depending on what it is.

I'm enjoying a Victory Tart Ten right now. I've been drinking a ton of ipas recently (shocking) and just needed something a little bit different to change that. This is a very damn good beer as I love Brett yeast and it drinks really easily. I made a little mistake though because I was anticipating it was around 6 or 7%. Its actually 10.Victory is just so solid.
The summer heat descended on southern Minnesota again today, so I went tropical. The collab version of this with Cigar City was significantly better, IMHO. This is a little too passion fruit-forward.

ekdffUd.jpg

One other thing - Surly is going to be featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" this Friday at 8 pm CDT (9 pm EDT). It is none of the three in the title, but it'll be pretty cool to see them go "big time." BTW, I've been there ..... 10 times, eaten there each of those times. The food was merely pedestrian, IMHO - but I didn't care after the beer. We'll see how easy Guy is on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT