ADVERTISEMENT

Beer Thread

#2, the hammer. This is magnificent - if you like caramel, which I do. If you don't, run to the hills.

mf2ztgr.jpg

I saw these guys in 1983 at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo. I'm old, but the show was pretty awesome.

I had that on draft in Chicago today. It was really damn good. Also picked up a bottle of Surly Ten, a 4 pack of Todd, and a bunch of Revolution Citra Hero and Pipeworks bombers and Lil Citra. O, if you need any of these in your life let me know. I owe you anyway even though you don't keep score. Got you the new Pipeworks fish IPA, which is this I believe:

Bottle / Fairy Basslet, Imperial IPA brewed w/ Honey, Pineapple Puree, & Citra Hops / 06.24.16

Let me know what sounds good and I'll hook you up.

I had that on draft in Chicago today. It was really damn good. Also picked up a bottle of Surly Ten, a 4 pack of Todd, and a bunch of Revolution Citra Hero and Pipeworks bombers and Lil Citra. O, if you need any of these in your life let me know. I owe you anyway even though you don't keep score. Got you the new Pipeworks fish IPA, which is this I believe:

Bottle / Fairy Basslet, Imperial IPA brewed w/ Honey, Pineapple Puree, & Citra Hops / 06.24.16

Citra Hero is legit

Reactions: PtownHoosier

First off, Birthday Bomb is that good. Thanks for the confirmation. You are a true beverage ninja.

Second, Todd is world-class,as you know. Drink fresh. Surly Ten, maybe a hold until the fall. I really enjoyed it, but a little age may kick it up a couple of notches.

Third, Citra Hero and Lil Citra sound awesome. Send 'em on, Jerome!!!!!

Reactions: PtownHoosier
First off, Birthday Bomb is that good. Thanks for the confirmation. You are a true beverage ninja.

Second, Todd is world-class,as you know. Drink fresh. Surly Ten, maybe a hold until the fall. I really enjoyed it, but a little age may kick it up a couple of notches.

Third, Citra Hero and Lil Citra sound awesome. Send 'em on, Jerome!!!!!
You got it.

Reactions: ovaltine
Tonight's beer is from my local brewery:

Jihoměstský Brewery IPA
beer_287045.jpg

Here's the rating from Czech site. I thought it might be higher, but not a bad rating. It's pretty good and a typically smooth beer:

http://www.pivnici.cz/pivo/jihomestsky-pivovar-ipa/
When I think of a Czech beer, I don't think of an IPA. Is it hoppy, or just hoppier than a typical Czech beer? I believe I read somewhere that some of the more aggressive 'Murican beer styles are starting to show up on the other side of the pond, though.

Tonight's beer is from my local brewery:

Jihoměstský Brewery IPA
beer_287045.jpg

Here's the rating from Czech site. I thought it might be higher, but not a bad rating. It's pretty good and a typically smooth beer:

http://www.pivnici.cz/pivo/jihomestsky-pivovar-ipa/
I'm sure a Czech take on an IPA could be pretty interesting. American brewers are obviously having a lot of influence in Europe with the hop pier styles. It's coming full circle from Europe in a lot of ways too though, with Americans blowing up and experimenting with all kinds of Belgian and German/ Czevh yeasts and sour/wild styles, and almost every brewer in the States is doing a pils of some type.

When I think of a Czech beer, I don't think of an IPA. Is it hoppy, or just hoppier than a typical Czech beer? I believe I read somewhere that some of the more aggressive 'Murican beer styles are starting to show up on the other side of the pond, though.

IPAs are new to the Czech beer market. It is currently the trendy beer for Czech beer snobs. Right now IPAs are the trendy beer and Hamburgers are the trendy food.

F'n Czechs.

I tried Against the Grain in Louisville over the weekend - I really enjoyed all 4 beers I tried...and will definetly head back soon to taste more.
The local Krogers was carrying their 4-packs recently too. Against the Grain - cool cans, clever descriptions, large variety, and good beers!

Also went to Goodwood - but already knew Im not too much of a fan of their beers - though they did have a good dopplebock on tap.
Goodwood is not a favorite -- I really don't like any of their beers at all. I agree with you on ATG -- a stellar brewery. I take it you're from the 'ville -- if so also try Monnik and Greta Flood breweries. Also Holy Grale -- they don't make any of their own beers, but their tap selection, variety, and constant change is awesome.

IPAs are new to the Czech beer market. It is currently the trendy beer for Czech beer snobs. Right now IPAs are the trendy beer and Hamburgers are the trendy food.

F'n Czechs.
I don't really even like a hamburger. The patty is shitty meat with shitty fat. It is a ground clump of meh that needs more help than Peegs breaking a story. I think a good use for ground shitty beef cut is a chicken fried steak with a fresh cracked pepper white gravy. I would also think that a spring roll w ground beef, pickled carrot and red onion topped with a ground beef fat aoili i.e. Bahn Mi would be fantabulous.

I don't really even like a hamburger. The patty is shitty meat with shitty fat. It is a ground clump of meh that needs more help than Peegs breaking a story. I think a good use for ground shitty beef cut is a chicken fried steak with a fresh cracked pepper white gravy. I would also think that a spring roll w ground beef, pickled carrot and red onion topped with a ground beef fat aoili i.e. Bahn Mi would be fantabulous.

There are tons of hamburger places opening around town. The good one ground their own meat, they are really good. Shitty meat will give you a shitty burger. Good meat gives you a damn good one.

Reactions: SuperHoosier
Hoosier222002 you live in Indiana or are you elsewhere? If you are elsewhere you can become like Ovaltine and a trade partner.

PhishPhan682 I live in NW Illinois. I have not been big in trading before, basically due to time. I have young twins. Maybe down the line.

Currently enjoying a Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf.

Not doubting anyone's reputation. More on my end to be honest. I would love to trade but as I said I have 13 month old twins. I am a teacher as well, If something could be worked out over time I would be interested. I am 25 minutes from Wisconsin border and about an hour+ from Iowa .

Didn't mean that last post to come across negative if it did. I am a big craft drinker and love to enjoy new stuff. I am heading to Orlando with extended family next week so I'll try to post some things from there as well.

Didn't mean that last post to come across negative if it did. I am a big craft drinker and love to enjoy new stuff. I am heading to Orlando with extended family next week so I'll try to post some things from there as well.
all good playa. you should be eating Toppling Goliath and Surly for every meal. You have access to Half Acre, Pipeworks and a new brewery that I'm a new fanboy of is Imperial Oak Brewing out of Willow Springs IL.

all good playa. you should be eating Toppling Goliath and Surly for every meal. You have access to Half Acre, Pipeworks and a new brewery that I'm a new fanboy of is Imperial Oak Brewing out of Willow Springs IL.

Another new one to keep an eye out for is Mikerphone Brewing. They are putting out some good stuff. Binny's usually sells out pretty quick though and the guy distributes it himself at different times during the week. If you see it when in the area, snag it. Like I said, I'll try to send something your way at some point. As soon as I get that Birthday Bomb! Haha.

Another new one to keep an eye out for is Mikerphone Brewing. They are putting out some good stuff. Binny's usually sells out pretty quick though and the guy distributes it himself at different times during the week. If you see it when in the area, snag it. Like I said, I'll try to send something your way at some point. As soon as I get that Birthday Bomb! Haha.
Mikerphone is killing it. Great call. I just picked up a bottle of his newest IIPA. Forgot the name but I'll enjoy it this week with my brothers. I had to ask a dude at the Binny's on Clark to go to the back to get it for me. They were out at the one by Goose Island. Just a few weeks ago it was no problem to pick them up at WLVL and Beer Temple. His reputation has exploded in a very short time.

I haven't tried Imperial Oak yet, but I think I get their stuff here. It's hard to keep up. IU222002 gets Revolution too. They are one of my favorite breweries, and may be #1 overall. Even their new Pils is killer. Unfortunately I'm in about the only County in the state that doesn't get them because the local distributor pissed them off.

I haven't seen Imperial Oak out this way yet. I have head of Mikerphone. I am a couple of hours from Chicago so don't get that way too often. Toppling Goliath is one of my favorites, just have to pick it up when I go into Wisconsin.

Mikerphone is killing it. Great call. I just picked up a bottle of his newest IIPA. Forgot the name but I'll enjoy it this week with my brothers. I had to ask a dude at the Binny's on Clark to go to the back to get it for me. They were out at the one by Goose Island. Just a few weeks ago it was no problem to pick them up at WLVL and Beer Temple. His reputation has exploded in a very short time.

If it's The Get-Fresh Flow, you should enjoy it. Had that Thursday on the train ride home. A very enjoyable beverage!!

I haven't seen Imperial Oak out this way yet. I have head of Mikerphone. I am a couple of hours from Chicago so don't get that way too often. Toppling Goliath is one of my favorites, just have to pick it up when I go into Wisconsin.
If you have the opportunity, head to the brewery in Decorah. You can buy in bulk, and they have stuff there that it's difficult (or impossible) to get through a beer store. For example, they currently have Mosaic-hopped Pseudo Sue and Silver Label X-Hops in bombers and on tap. If Mrs. O wouldn't castrate me, I'd head down there today.

We did make it to Decorah a few years back. Would love to do it again, about a 3.5 hour trip if I recall. I saw they are building a new facility.

I have a relative that goes there periodically as well. May be time to place a call to her!

I had an awful beer from Noble Order 'Katapult' - a German Style Kolsh
Was so bad I took to a family event and split the rest of the 4-pack out between 7 other beer drinkers of all varying preferences - and no one opted to finish their 1/2 beer poured. Made me wonder if I got a bad pack from the store or if its just a bad beer.

Taxman Deduction was very tasty though...and will welcome its way into my regular rotatikn.

I had an awful beer from Noble Order 'Katapult' - a German Style Kolsh
Was so bad I took to a family event and split the rest of the 4-pack out between 7 other beer drinkers of all varying preferences - and no one opted to finish their 1/2 beer poured. Made me wonder if I got a bad pack from the store or if its just a bad beer.

Taxman Deduction was very tasty though...and will welcome its way into my regular rotatikn.
I visited the brewery over the holidays - Taxman is outstanding.

Any of y'all that want me to mule, or ship, some Byway Brewing beers just let me know. This is the Champeen Brewery of the Year in Indiana!b

Seriously, though, I could piss through a strainer and it would taste better than the shite that this place calls beer. A good beer refined by my advanced filtration system would be better than the weak shite this place produces, right?

I think I've chatted with @Hank Reardon about this before, and maybe the judges are judging to style specification, but those specs need some adjustment. Or, the tasters at the state fair have no flipping clue.

Problem is, this is just affirmation to the owners that what they think good beer is is what good beer is. So, this is license for them to keep doing the shit that's not working. Shaking my head at this, because they spent a fortune on their brewery system and location, and have the capacity to produce maybe 20,000 bbls per year? But, they can't sell 2,000 per year is my guess. Every time I drive by there, and its about 1x per day, the place is empty.

Ask anyone local about the place, and the answer is generally...the food is good.

http://www.indystar.com/story/life/food/2016/07/11/these-indiana-beers-gold-medal-winners/86937482/

Any of y'all that want me to mule, or ship, some Byway Brewing beers just let me know. This is the Champeen Brewery of the Year in Indiana!b

Seriously, though, I could piss through a strainer and it would taste better than the shite that this place calls beer. A good beer refined by my advanced filtration system would be better than the weak shite this place produces, right?

I think I've chatted with @Hank Reardon about this before, and maybe the judges are judging to style specification, but those specs need some adjustment. Or, the tasters at the state fair have no flipping clue.

Problem is, this is just affirmation to the owners that what they think good beer is is what good beer is. So, this is license for them to keep doing the shit that's not working. Shaking my head at this, because they spent a fortune on their brewery system and location, and have the capacity to produce maybe 20,000 bbls per year? But, they can't sell 2,000 per year is my guess. Every time I drive by there, and its about 1x per day, the place is empty.

Ask anyone local about the place, and the answer is generally...the food is good.

http://www.indystar.com/story/life/food/2016/07/11/these-indiana-beers-gold-medal-winners/86937482/
But Bier is really good - so they are at least half right.
Bogside Stout from Bier is great!

Never had Byway, so no comment on their beer.

That said, The Indiana Brewers Cup is probably the most inconsistently judged competition that I've ever entered. This isn't sour grapes, as the last time I entered on the homebrew side (maybe three years ago?) I took medals in three categories. The problem is that it's too big and they have to cast such a wide net for judges. You may get a good one or two. Last time Gordon Strong himself judged on of my beers. But you're just as likely to get a non-certified judge. Hell, I've seen guys from my club judge Brewers Cup as their first competition, and judge categories they admit they knew little about. If you compete a lot, the cream ultimately rises to the top, but any one competition is a crapshoot, and Brewers Cup has by far produced the most "WTF?" reactions from my brewing buddies.

I don't compete anymore. It's fun, but after awhile you realize it doesn't really mean anything. I imagine on the Pro side the stakes are higher, but they're judged by the same pool of judges so take that for what it's worth.

BTW, The BJCP Guidelines on the homebrew side were rewritten in 2015 to reflect stylistic shifts. Not sure if the Pro side was revamped as well.

Saw that yesterday and am perplexed. Do they even package for carry out yet? The CHIPA has changed and improved slightly. But it still isn't award worthy. I'm guessing no other Indiana Breweries participated in the contest this year?!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT