ADVERTISEMENT

Beer suggestions?

maynardj

All-American
Feb 17, 2006
Tried Lagunitis Sucks last weekend and thought it was just ok. Very pungent. Any suggestions on a smoother beer in the craft beer genre?

The local liquor stores carry most of the Lagunitis line. A couple of 3 Floyd's (yum yum, permanent funeral). Just looking for a good beer to sip on for the game today.

Tried Lagunitis Sucks last weekend and thought it was just ok. Very pungent. Any suggestions on a smoother beer in the craft beer genre?

The local liquor stores carry most of the Lagunitis line. A couple of 3 Floyd's (yum yum, permanent funeral). Just looking for a good beer to sip on for the game today.
If you didn't like Sucks you might not like IPAs yet, so those Three Floyd's beers are probably out for you. Permanent Funeral is an incredible imperial IPA though.

If you like marzens try Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest. I love it. It's a lager they needed with a brewery from Germany. It's smooth and has that nice marzen caramel malt, but it's on the lighter side for the style.

Reactions: ovaltine
If you didn't like Sucks you might not like IPAs yet, so those Three Floyd's beers are probably out for you. Permanent Funeral is an incredible imperial IPA though.

If you like marzens try Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest. I love it. It's a lager they needed with a brewery from Germany. It's smooth and has that nice marzen caramel malt, but it's on the lighter side for the style.
I'd also add that if you really want to learn to like IPAs Bells 2 Hearted is the place to start. Very good, and not excessive on its hoppy aftertaste.

I enjoy Yum Yum...pretty simple pale ale, low abv (5.5%), and not a huge hop flavor. I think it fits the bill for what you are looking for.

Sierra Nevada Nooner is widely available, very flavorful, but won't wreck your palate with a hop overload. Sam Adams Octoberfest is another widely available beer that is also very flavorful on the malty side of the beer spectrum.

Sierra Nevada Nooner is widely available, very flavorful, but won't wreck your palate with a hop overload. Sam Adams Octoberfest is another widely available beer that is also very flavorful on the malty side of the beer spectrum.
The Sierra mixed fall pack is pretty great too. I wish the Vienna lager came in it's own 12 packs.

Reactions: ovaltine
Just "okay"? Hmmmmmm
My first experience with an IPA. There's a lot going on there. It'll probably take me a bit to get used to it after years of Budweiser, but I'm committed to trying it out.

My first experience with an IPA. There's a lot going on there. It'll probably take me a bit to get used to it after years of Budweiser, but I'm committed to trying it out.
You jumped into the deep end of the pool with Sucks.

I think you might like Yum Yum, its on the lower end of the hop bitterness scale; or could be that you're more of a malt guy, so then take Ovaltine's recommendations about Octoberfest styles. Nothing wrong with either one - you like what you like.

Dogfish Head 60 and 90 Minute IPAs are what turned me on to IPAs. They're pretty malty and well balanced so they are a great inyroduction for the style.

This was several years ago. I used to drink almost exclusively stouts and porters until I started craving more and more hops. It's a bit like acquiring a taste and tolerance for spicier and spicier food.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT