ADVERTISEMENT

Barney Fife

Crayfish57

All-American
Sep 18, 2013
Do we have any Andy Griffith fans on here? We had a thread about MASH. Barney was always good for a laugh and being a buffoon, for some reason I have been thinking about Barney the last few days. Good thing he only had one bullet.
Your mileage may vary.

barney_fife.jpg

Do we have any Andy Griffith fans on here? We had a thread about MASH. Barney was always good for a laugh and being a buffoon, for some reason I have been thinking about Barney the last few days. Good thing he only had one bullet.
Your mileage may vary.

barney_fife.jpg
Even had Jack Nicholson on several times. You could look it up.

Reactions: dr.jb
Your mileage may vary.

barney_fife.jpg
Barney probably ended up marrying Charlene Darling making everyone jealous.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Your mileage may vary.

barney_fife.jpg
Loved the show as a kid. Still love the show as an adult. Andy was a great guy. Wish I could be as a good a dad as he was on that show.

Loved the show as a kid. Still love the show as an adult. Andy was a great guy. Wish I could be as a good a dad as he was on that show.
Good clean entertainment. When we first got a TV when I was young it was one of the shows we were allowed to watch.

Barney reminds me of people today that get a little power and don’t know what to do with it.

What I loved about the Andy Griffith Show was the comedy set up was inverted to where the star of the show was the straight man/sensible one (basically represented the audience) and the comedy came from the peripheral characters.

I think the majority of comedy shows had the lead as the source of the comedy but in this case it was the side characters. Andy was kindof our host.

A good example of that was Parks and Recreation. When Parks started it was basically a tracing of The Office. Leslie Knope (Amy Pouhler) was the Michael Scott of the first season, and it didn't really work.

Season 2 they went with the Andy Griffith model to where she was the one who held everyone together but the lunacy came from the peripheral characters.....and that's when it took off.

The town of Pawnee was filled with lunacy and Knope was our guide which really worked for a show based on local government.

That's totally the Andy Griffith model.

I think the majority of comedy shows had the lead as the source of the comedy but in this case it was the side characters. Andy was kindof our host.

Both Newhart shows were that way, Bob was the everyman responding to the zany people surrounding him. I think shows need someone "normal" to be us, not everyone can be off-the-wall crazy and work.

I would add a comment but probably shouldn't right now.
The funny thing about Hogan's Heroes is how Klink could destroy the violin but in real life he was supposedly a good violinist.

The funny thing about Hogan's Heroes is how Klink could destroy the violin but in real life he was supposedly a good violinist.
I never really watched enough to know that , Funny I actually play violin/Viola or did.

Your mileage may vary.

barney_fife.jpg
I have a rule for all of the congregations I have served. If anyone asks what their pastor's favorite show of all time is they better know it. It's the Andy Griffith Show. If anyone started to argue with me about it I say NIP IT. NIP IT IN THE BUD!

Last edited:
I have a rule for all of the congregations I have served. If anyone asks what their pastor's favorite show of all time is they better know it. It's the Andy Griffith Show. If anyone startsed to argue with me about it I say NIP IT. NIP IT IN THE BUD!
What are your thoughts on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood?

It was a couple of years ago that I learned that many of the Nazis on that show were actually Jewish. So they got paid to make Nazis look stupid. This info made me feel very good. John Banner who played Sgt. Shultz was an Austrian Jew who was out of the country when Hitler invaded. He didn't come back and then went to the U.S. where he joined the Army. He went back to fight against the Nazis. I saw a picture of him that was an add for the Army. He was a good looking young man then so they made him a model.

I used to watch it as a kid and enjoyed it. He tried to do a lot of good and I think he accomplished his task.
I think he's kind of the role model for the way in a person should interact with the world. Probably an unattainable standard for 99.9% of the population, but a nice thing to aspire to.

Much like Andy Griffith, in the show, by the way.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
I think he's kind of the role model for the way in a person should interact with the world. Probably an unattainable standard for 99.9% of the population, but a nice thing to aspire to.

I always wanted to be Hunter S Thompson.

Obviously, that didn't happen.

There is a movie called, "Mayberry Man". It is somewhat cheesy, but I enjoyed it. One of the points was that Mayberry is not just a fictional place,but it is a way to think and live. It is all about treating people as well as possible. Now we all mess up. Not to preach, but this is why Jesus died for us on the Cross. We mess up or sin because we don't live 100% in the right way we should.

There is a movie called, "Mayberry Man". It is somewhat cheesy, but I enjoyed it. One of the points was that Mayberry is not just a fictional place,but it is a way to think and live. It is all about treating people as well as possible. Now we all mess up. Not to preach, but this is why Jesus died for us on the Cross. We mess up or sin because we don't live 100% in the right way we should.
I don't think humans can live 100% the right way. We are flawed, all of us. That's why the concept of forgiveness is so important and powerful.

I think it's also helpful to developiong a practice of kindness. I find it much easier to be kind to others when I realize they are only fallible, flawed, finite creatures. It's when we think "they could do this, they could do that" and judge them that we fall into the trap of not being kind.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: hoosboot
I don't think humans can live 100% the right way. We are flawed, all of us. That's why the concept of forgiveness is so important and powerful.

I think it's also helpful to developiong a practice of kindness. I find it much easier to be kind to others when I realize they are only fallible, flawed, finite creatures. It's when we think "they could do this, they could do that" and judge them that we fall into the trap of not being kind.

Just my two cents.
Of course we all judge things as either right or wrong. But we are not to be judgmental. What you are really talking about is humility. When I start seeing others as, "them" instead of seeing all of us as, "we" then I might get off course. There is an old saying, "Remember, when you are pointing your finger at someone else you have three fingers pointing back at you". Jesus who is the God Man believed in right and wrong. For God is the ultimate judge on what is right and wrong. Yet He told us in Matthew 7:2-5 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Of course we all judge things as either right or wrong. But we are not to be judgmental. What you are really talking about is humility. When I start seeing others as, "them" instead of seeing all of us as, "we" then I might get off course. There is an old saying, "Remember, when you are pointing your finger at someone else you have three fingers pointing back at you". Jesus who is the God Man believed in right and wrong. For God is the ultimate judge on what is right and wrong. Yet He told us in Matthew 7:2-5 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Yes, I think the concept of humility--moral humility--is a great one.

Those are good quotes. Fits right in with "to change the world, first change yourself." Or Confucious:

“To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order; we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right.”

Do you read cross-culturally or across different religions? What do you think when ideas and values in the Bible line up with other religions across time and geography?

Yes, I think the concept of humility--moral humility--is a great one.

Those are good quotes. Fits right in with "to change the world, first change yourself." Or Confucious:

“To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order; we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right.”

Do you read cross-culturally or across different religions? What do you think when ideas and values in the Bible line up with other religions across time and geography?
Sure, I have read other cultures and religions. I do like that quote from Confucious. If you boil it down it says we are all our own worst enemies and we actually contribute to the evil of the world from one degree or another.

Your mileage may vary.

barney_fife.jpg
My all time favorite show, but only while Barney was still on it, or when he guest stared a few times after it. I’ve seen every show, and still watch a rerun now and then, but only the Barney episodes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT