ADVERTISEMENT

Baldwin Decommitted

Hopefully his offered is yanked completely and he isn't given the chance to reconsider. If you're having second thoughts about playing for this coach/program after what you've witnessed, we don't need you.
Indy, love the passion but it appears the kid is getting new major national attention. What is the best message to send from a new coach? I don't know. Feels like some grace to sort through the attention may be a good look. If we keep winning kids will want to play here and we can get others like this kid. I think the perception is more important than this one kid. Thinking out loud. Thoughts? Go Hoosiers!

Indy, love the passion but it appears the kid is getting new major national attention. What is the best message to send from a new coach? I don't know. Feels like some grace to sort through the attention may be a good look. If we keep winning kids will want to play here and we can get others like this kid. I think the perception is more important than this one kid. Thinking out loud. Thoughts? Go Hoosiers!
That's exactly the point. I want kids who WANT to play at Indiana, not kids who feel the need to open their recruitment to receive national attention. Football is a team sport, not a me sport. I could understand flipping for Alabama or Georgia but to de-commit and strongly consider the like of Colorado (where he appears headed), UCLA, Missouri, etc......ya go pound sound.

The kid hasn't played a down of football for us or anyone else In past years losing this highly rated recruit would be disaster. If we have the year I think we will have he is just a replaceable part. there is another 4 star or an established portal transfer who would jump at the opportunity. get another Commitment. pull this kid's offer. Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.
Time to send the message that we are no longer doormats on the field or in recruiting Wars. We won't be held up or derailed by putting all our eggs in a basket held by a high school senior.

Coach Prime has an incredible recruiting tool that other coaches cannot match. All incoming freshman are provided matching suits to wear off the bus during pregame and recruits love these outfits. Doesn’t matter if Colorado goes 4-8 this year, these seal the deal:

8146jV27woL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

The kid hasn't played a down of football for us or anyone else In past years losing this highly rated recruit would be disaster. If we have the year I think we will have he is just a replaceable part. there is another 4 star or an established portal transfer who would jump at the opportunity. ...
Cig has said he'll want a mix of building with freshman recruits and portal guys. But agreed, for this spot, maybe he'll just go find 'production over potential'. Like he did this year with so many.

I don’t think our recruiting under Cignetti is ever going to “look elite.” I think his roster philosophy will be load up on 3 star kids not afraid to work and sprinkle in good transfers. I love it.
I agree, he really means it when he says "I know talent and do not chase stars." Except JuJu goes against that philosophy a bit. If we finish Top 15, I think we may see him sprinkle in more 4 stars just because he will be in the B1G and have the NIL $$. JMO though.

It ljust figures that IU loses its best recruit during its best season in decades.
Recruits are simply constant rotation anymore. Where you lose one, you pick up one through the portal. Who’s to say there isn’t a DB out there that has a lot of production right now, performing at a high level, saying “I want to go play for THAT guy at IU”? We actually have a youth movement in the secondary and they are playing well: Ponds, Ferrell, Sharp, Johnson all have remaining time.
I think there are at least 2 kids who entered the portal just yesterday with playing time at DB from Notre Dame and SMU.

brushoff-mostinterestingman.gif

No problem for this coach!

It just figures that IU loses its best recruit during its best season in decades.

If Colorado actually figured highly in his decision making process we didn't want him back there anyway...

Prime will be gone in less than 3 years (in my opinion). All flash and no substance... Once both his boys and their pal Hunter are gone, he's toast...

I know a lot of people like to bash Coach Prime.....but taking out the money factor and all else he brings, can you really fault a highly talented DB to go play for perhaps the best DB in NFL history? Especially when you see what Travis Hunter has done under his coaching. Like him or not, he was a shut down corner in a league with the best of the best. I don't blame the kid. And I agree with others, Cig will find someone just as good or develop a hard working kid with less talent to be just as good, IMO.

It just figures that IU loses its best recruit during its best season in decades.
I totally understand what you mean. However, Cignetti will potentially have a monster season to sell to high end transfer portal kids.

I would love to know what he's thinking in this regard! I assume he will be able to go out and lure a highly regarded DB to take Baldwin's place.

I can't wait to see what he does at QB. I'm not sure Tayven is the answer even though he has the tools to be the answer.

Reactions: jsenleo
I know a lot of people like to bash Coach Prime.....but taking out the money factor and all else he brings, can you really fault a highly talented DB to go play for perhaps the best DB in NFL history? Especially when you see what Travis Hunter has done under his coaching. Like him or not, he was a shut down corner in a league with the best of the best. I don't blame the kid. And I agree with others, Cig will find someone just as good or develop a hard working kid with less talent to be just as good, IMO.
Maybe, if that is what this is about, it isn’t, think $$$$, the new reality. This kid will go to the highest bidder.

This stinks, and my gut reaction is f this guy, but this is the recruiting game, and there will be more decommits and we’ll get commits who decommitted from somewhere else.

I don’t feel bad for staffs, but recruiting must be such a pain.

I love Bloomington, but Boulder might be the best college town in America. It's definitely my favorite. This worries me zero. When you start recruiting higher star kids, this is part of the deal with some of them. Look at everyone still recruiting Lewis while he's committed to USC. If he flipped to IU I would be thrilled, but I don't hate Baldwin for taking what he feels is a better offer.

Travis Hunter was the number 1 recruit overall in the nation, deemed by 24/7 as the number 1 WR and CB out of high school, and called a generational talent. So not sure what he has done with Travis from a football perspective besides greatly increasing the chance of major injury.

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
This stinks, and my gut reaction is f this guy, but this is the recruiting game, and there will be more decommits and we’ll get commits who decommitted from somewhere else.

I don’t feel bad for staffs, but recruiting must be such a pain.
Coaching staffs learn to roll with the punches by turning the other cheek, one large bank deposit at a time.

I love Bloomington, but Boulder might be the best college town in America. It's definitely my favorite. This worries me zero. When you start recruiting higher star kids, this is part of the deal with some of them. Look at everyone still recruiting Lewis while he's committed to USC. If he flipped to IU I would be thrilled, but I don't hate Baldwin for taking what he feels is a better offer.
I agree. I've only been to Boulder once, and it was over 30 years ago, but I loved it. Hard to beat a college town right by the mountains.

Travis Hunter was the number 1 recruit overall in the nation, deemed by 24/7 as the number 1 WR and CB out of high school, and called a generational talent. So not sure what he has done with Travis from a football perspective besides greatly increasing the chance of major injury.
Yeah, you're right. They aren't able to use that at all for recruiting purposes. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT