ADVERTISEMENT

B1G standings and RPI rankings for 5/7...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
All games are complete for the weekend, although Purdue still has a fourth game left with South Dakota State tomorrow which obviously has no effect on anything. IU certainly got a lot of help over the weekend. IU finished the weekend in sole possession of 2nd place, a game behind Maryland which blasted Nebraska today. OSU managed to win the last game of the series with Iowa which put the Hawkeyes a game behind IU in the loss column and IU a game and a half ahead of them in the standings. Rutgers moved into 3rd place a game behind IU. MSU began the weekend ahead of IU by a game, but got swept by Illinois to fall two games behind IU. There is a four-team log jam for 5th place with those teams all at 10-8.

As far as the RPI, as of right now as I post this, IU has the best RPI in the B1G at 33 with the Terps just behind them at 36. As far as I can tell, all games in the ET and CT time zones are finished, but games out west are still going on so there will be continued movement in the RPI rankings until fairly late tonight. We knew playing Northwestern was going to have some RPI effect, but it has been minimal with IU's strong SOS. We did take a little hit in the SOS because of the Wildcat series and we are now 4th in the B1G in that regard as teams played stronger opponents. That won't get any better with Purdue next on the schedule at The Bart and the Boilers current RPI at 197 and their SOS at 208.

Here is the link to the B1G standings and the RPI rankings.

In B1G games today:

Maryland 20 Nebraska 5 - The Terps took the series with the Huskers getting one win.

Michigan 4 Minnesota 1 - The Wolverines managed to salvage one game in the series but they took a hit in the standings.

OSU 5 Iowa 2 - OSU salvaged the last game and Iowa fell a game behind IU in the loss column.

Illinois 10 MSU 3 - MSU got swept by the Illini after they swept NW the previous weekend. Based on the scores, the Illini easily won all three games from them.

Rutgers 8 PSU 2 - Rutgers swept PSU and they are making a move in the B1G standings, moving a game behind IU. Rutgers was picked for 2nd in the B1G in the preseason and after a slow start to the season, are coming on strong.

Purdue 3 South Dakota State 2 - Purdue took 2 of 3 in the series so far with a fourth game scheduled for Monday.

All games are complete for the weekend, although Purdue still has a fourth game left with South Dakota State tomorrow which obviously has no effect on anything. IU certainly got a lot of help over the weekend. IU finished the weekend in sole possession of 2nd place, a game behind Maryland which blasted Nebraska today. OSU managed to win the last game of the series with Iowa which put the Hawkeyes a game behind IU in the loss column and IU a game and a half ahead of them in the standings. Rutgers moved into 3rd place a game behind IU. MSU began the weekend ahead of IU by a game, but got swept by Illinois to fall two games behind IU. There is a four-team log jam for 5th place with those teams all at 10-8.

As far as the RPI, as of right now as I post this, IU has the best RPI in the B1G at 33 with the Terps just behind them at 36. As far as I can tell, all games in the ET and CT time zones are finished, but games out west are still going on so there will be continued movement in the RPI rankings until fairly late tonight. We knew playing Northwestern was going to have some RPI effect, but it has been minimal with IU's strong SOS. We did take a little hit in the SOS because of the Wildcat series and we are now 4th in the B1G in that regard as teams played stronger opponents. That won't get any better with Purdue next on the schedule at The Bart and the Boilers current RPI at 197 and their SOS at 208.

In B1G games today:

Maryland 20 Nebraska 5 - The Terps took the series with the Huskers getting one win.

Michigan 4 Minnesota 1 - The Wolverines managed to salvage one game in the series but they took a hit in the standings.

OSU 5 Iowa 2 - OSU salvaged the last game and Iowa fell a game behind IU in the loss column.

Illinois 10 MSU 3 - MSU got swept by the Illini after they swept NW the previous weekend. Based on the scores, the Illini easily won all three games from them.

Rutgers 8 PSU 2 - Rutgers swept PSU and they are making a move in the B1G standings, moving a game behind IU. Rutgers was picked for 2nd in the B1G in the preseason and after a slow start to the season, are coming on strong.

Purdue 3 South Dakota State 2 - Purdue took 2 of 3 in the series so far with a fourth game scheduled for Monday.
Amazing, given that we have the worst coach in the history of college baseball

In B1G games today:

You are a wealth of information that I’m too lazy to look up, so can you show us again with the remaining series are for the contending teams?

You are a wealth of information that I’m too lazy to look up, so can you show us again with the remaining series are for the contending teams?
There are nine teams currently battling it out for the eight tournament spots so here are the remaining series left for them:

MD (13-5): Minn and @ PSU

IU (12-6): Purdue and @ MSU

Rutgers (11-7): IL and @ Minn

Iowa (10-7): MSU and @ NW

MSU (10-8): @ IA and IU

Neb (10-8): PSU and @ Purdue

Mich (10-8): NW and @ OSU

Purdue (10-8): @ IU and Neb

Illinois (11-10): @ Rutgers and Tenn-Martin (NC)

Note: With Illinois having just the one B1G series left, you would think they would have to sweep Rutgers on the road and then cross their fingers, and I certainly wouldn't bet on that happening.

Two teams are still lurking nearby and could possibly sneak into that 8th tournament slot with a lot of help and they would be backing into the tournament, but their chances are probably about as good as the Carpathia reaching the Titanic in time, and they are Minn (7-11) and PSU (6-11).

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
I made an edit change to the post of the series remaining. I listed Illinois' record wrong as 8-10, but that was what it was before the MSU series and their record is now 11-10. It was starting to get late that night and I'll chalk it up to a brain fart.

Actually, if Illinois could take 2 of 3 against Rutgers they could catch one of 10-8 teams and slide into one of the last remaining tournament slots. If the Illini take just 1 of 3 from Rutgers and finish with a 12-12 record, they could still get in there and just might be in some kind of tie breaker situation. The pressure will certainly on the Illini in that series, since it's their last chance to position themselves for one of the slots. Of the remaining series for those teams at 10-8, IMO, I would say that MSU or Purdue would be the most likely to slide back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucket Getter
I made an edit change to the post of the series remaining. I listed Illinois' record wrong as 8-10, but that was what it was before the MSU series and their record is now 11-10. It was starting to get late that night and I'll chalk it up to a brain fart.

Actually, if Illinois could take 2 of 3 against Rutgers they could catch one of 10-8 teams and slide into one of the last remaining tournament slots. If the Illini take just 1 of 3 from Rutgers and finish with a 12-12 record, they could still get in there and just might be in some kind of tie breaker situation. The pressure will certainly on the Illini in that series, since it's their last chance to position themselves for one of the slots. Of the remaining series for those teams at 10-8, IMO, I would say that MSU or Purdue would be the most likely to slide back.
Saw something today where it's mathematically impossible now for us to finish with a top 16 (I think???) RPI.

• Sad
Saw something today where it's mathematically impossible now for us to finish with a top 16 (I think???) RPI.
I think that ship sailed after the Maryland series debacle where we pretty much got blasted. We are probably looking at a No. 2 seed which could slide to a No. 3 depending on how we finish the season and the tournament. It also depends on what the Field of 64 selection committee feels about the B1G. It became perfectly clear last season that they had already determined they were taking just two B1G teams, and when Michigan "stole" the automatic bid, they took Maryland, but Rutgers got left out with a 44-15 record and a Q1 RPI of 44, and that shocked everyone.

I don't know what they used to come up with the "mathematically impossible" label - some kind of supercomputer? The RPI factors your game results along with your opponents' game results as well as their opponents' game results and I don't know what else if any, so with two weekends of games left to be played as well as the midweek games, and also the conference tournament results, I'm not sure how they can figure that out in advance. It just goes way past me when they get into areas beyond basic math.

I think that ship sailed after the Maryland series debacle where we pretty much got blasted. We are probably looking at a No. 2 seed which could slide to a No. 3 depending on how we finish the season and the tournament. It also depends on what the Field of 64 selection committee feels about the B1G. It became perfectly clear last season that they had already determined they were taking just two B1G teams, and when Michigan "stole" the automatic bid, they took Maryland, but Rutgers got left out with a 44-15 record and a Q1 RPI of 44, and that shocked everyone.

I don't know what they used to come up with the "mathematically impossible" label - some kind of supercomputer? The RPI factors your game results along with your opponents' game results as well as their opponents' game results and I don't know what else if any, so with two weekends of games left to be played as well as the midweek games, and also the conference tournament results, I'm not sure how they can figure that out in advance. It just goes way past me when they get into areas beyond basic math.

• Wow
Interesting. They've been doing this for years, so I guess they know how to figure all of that out. I just want to finish the rest of the B1G regular season on a strong note, and have a good showing in the B1G tournament and then worry about what they might do when they figure out the Field of 64.

The B1G is currently No. 6 in conference RPI, so I would be concerned about something happening like it did with Rutgers last season. It wasn't all that long ago the B1G had five teams in the field, and that certainly won't happen this season, and the prognosticators think the conference will have three teams in, but they thought that last year also.

Last edited:
  • Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT