ADVERTISEMENT

B1G series to keep an eye on this weekend....

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Nebraska has just two B1G losses playing three fewer games than IU and they are in 1st by percentage points. Maryland and MSU are tied with IU in the loss column with three losses, but have played three fewer games. The best case scenario for IU this weekend in the series involving those teams are as follows:

Nebraska @ Iowa: Best case scenario for IU is an Iowa sweep which would put Nebraska at 7-5 and Iowa at 7-5. Iowa taking 2 of 3 would also benefit IU by putting Nebraska a game behind IU with a record of 8-4. Nebraska taking two of three would put them in a tie with IU, and obviously a sweep would put them a game ahead of IU.

Purdue @ Maryland: If Purdue could take just one game of this series it would benefit IU by putting Maryland at 8-4 and a game behind IU. I doubt they could do it, but taking 2 of 3 from the Terps would drop the Terps to 7-5. I highly doubt the Boilers can sweep MD on the road. If the Terps sweep the Boilers, they will be in a tie with IU at 9-3 with their series at The Bart coming up the following weekend. The Boilers are 7-5 in the B1G right now, but the backend of their conference schedule is loaded with series against Maryland, Rutgers, IU and Nebraska to finish out their conference schedule.

MSU @ Michigan: Michigan taking 1 of 3 would put Michigan State at 8-4 and a game behind IU while Michigan would be 8-7. Michigan taking 2 od 3 would make them 9-6 with MSU at 7-5. A sweep by Michigan would put them at 10-5, while a sweep by MSU would put them at 9-3 and in a tie with IU.

I think I got all of that correct, so it will be an interesting weekend while IU takes time off from the conference race.

Good post. For some reason I just keep thinking that as long as my team wins, our chances improve. Kinda hate rooting for other teams to lose, but I get it.

Good post. For some reason I just keep thinking that as long as my team wins, our chances improve. Kinda hate rooting for other teams to lose, but I get it.
Yeah, we can't do anything about our three losses but hope that those teams with two or three losses fall back from us some this weekend. We need a little bit of a buffer in the loss column with a big series coming up with the Terps next week when we resume the conference schedule.

Yeah, we can't do anything about our three losses but hope that those teams with two or three losses fall back from us some this weekend. We need a little bit of a buffer in the loss column with a big series coming up with the Terps next week when we resume the conference schedule.
Conference ball seems to have a bit of fortune in the outcome some years. Injury here, rainout game there. I love the complexity. Good to be good again. Go Hoosiers!

Regardless, IU is competing for the BiG Regular season title, which was more of a hope than a ‘right’ after last season’s scrappy BiG tournament performance.
We have more pitching depth this year and our team ERA is almost half of what it was at this point last season. We were last in the B1G in that area last season and stayed in the last spot the entire season with the exception of one week where we barely moved up to 12th before falling back down into that last spot at 13th. The team ERA rankings for the top three teams in the B1G going into this weekend are:

Iowa - 4.39
Nebraska - 4.44
IU - 4.69

IU got all kinds of help tonight.

The biggest was Iowa's 11-6 win over Nebraska which puts IU temporarily in first place again and it brings the Huskers even with IU in the loss column with three losses. I would prefer an Iowa sweep but if they just take the series that will be good also.

Purdue beat Maryland 10-8 which gives the Terps four losses.

Michigan beat MSU 5-3 which also gives MSU four losses.

IU moved to 12th in the RPI after the win tonight. They are now 9-0 against Q4 competition, but man was that close tonight, and it is important to not have any Q4 losses. There are still games going on, especially out west, so there still may be movement with the RPI before the night is over.

Last edited:
With that Iowa win over Nebraska, IU will at least be in a tie for 1st place in the B1G standings no matter what happens the rest of the weekend. Every other team has at least 4 losses and even if Purdue or MeatChicken sweeps and both or one of them ends up at 10-5, we will still be ahead of them in winning percentage. (.667 to .750)
Go Hoosiers!!

Reactions: Im4iu89 and ptrich
With that Iowa win over Nebraska, IU will at least be in a tie for 1st place in the B1G standings no matter what happens the rest of the weekend. Every other team has at least 4 losses and even if Purdue or MeatChicken sweeps and both or one of them ends up at 10-5, we will still be ahead of them in winning percentage. (.667 to .750)
Go Hoosiers!!
Yeah, I didn't word that correctly when I said temporarily in 1st place since they will be there regardless what happens the rest of the weekend as you indicated. What I really meant was temporarily in first by themselves depending on the results of the rest of the Husker series with Iowa. Like you indicated, the Huskers could be back in a tie with IU if they take the last two games of the Iowa series. I'm just hoping that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
IU is guaranteed to be in 1st place by their lonesome self when the dust settles on the weekend.

Iowa just shut out Nebraska, 8-0, to put the Huskers a game behind IU in the loss column. A sweep by Iowa tomorrow would be even better for IU.

Michigan beat MSU again, 8-3, to put MSU two games behind IU in the loss column.

Purdue had an early lead on Maryland today, but the Terps came back to take a 6-5 lead in the bottom of the 7th. The game was suspended because of inclement weather and will be completed in front of game 3 tomorrow.

Reactions: 82IU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT