ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance declines

This is where the cries of "fair-weather fans can cheer for someone else" misses the mark. All teams have fair-weather fans. They're the difference between empty seats and capacity. If the product is marginal fair-weather fans won't show. we need every fan: die-hard and fair-weather. i think we're going to make the tournament this year and that will help bring some excitement back to the program and put more butts in the stands next year.

I will say one other thing that I suspect is universal, but the exorbitant hotel prices in bloomington for football weekends makes attending a tough choice for out of town fans. the graduate hotel was charging in excess of $600 a night for the iu-osu football weekend. i've stayed in manhattan for less than that. and alums who come in with families don't want to stay in indy and commute. they want to be in bton. four tickets to the game, two nights at the hotel, couple of dinners blah blah blah, you're at over two grand.

Last edited:
I don't think the OSU game is a fair measure for normal game hotel pricing. With the fact we never sell out our football stadium unless it is out of town fans. It'd be like griping about the prices during graduation weekend. Simple supply and demand. Why do you feel like you HAVE to stay in Bloomington instead of, say, Spencer or Indy? Is 30-60 min after a football game too late to stay in a hotel?

This is where the cries of "fair-weather fans can cheer for someone else" misses the mark. All teams have fair-weather fans. They're the difference between empty seats and capacity. If the product is marginal fair-weather fans won't show. we need every fan: die-hard and fair-weather. i think we're going to make the tournament this year and that will help bring some excitement back to the program and put more butts in the stands next year.

I will say one other thing that I suspect is universal, but the exorbitant hotel prices in bloomington for football weekends makes attending a tough choice for out of town fans. the last hotel was charging in excess of $600 a night for the iu-osu football weekend. i've stayed in manhattan for less than that. and alums who come in with families don't want to stay in indy and commute. they want to be in bton. four tickets to the game, two nights at the hotel, couple of dinners blah blah blah, you're at over two grand.

I will say one other thing that I suspect is universal, but the exorbitant hotel prices in bloomington for football weekends makes attending a tough choice for out of town fans. the last hotel was charging in excess of $600 a night for the iu-osu football weekend. i've stayed in manhattan for less than that. and alums who come in with families don't want to stay in indy and commute. they want to be in bton. four tickets to the game, two nights at the hotel, couple of dinners blah blah blah, you're at over two grand.
This where you’re starting to see program apathy setting in. Fewer people at games, tickets harder to get rid of. The numbers don’t lie.

I don't think the OSU game is a fair measure for normal game hotel pricing. With the fact we never sell out our football stadium unless it is out of town fans. It'd be like griping about the prices during graduation weekend. Simple supply and demand. Why do you feel like you HAVE to stay in Bloomington instead of, say, Spencer or Indy? Is 30-60 min after a football game too late to stay in a hotel?
You could be correct on the osu weekend not being a fair comparison. It's the only game we were looking at last year because of scheduling and weather. As for staying somewhere else, because we were visiting Bloomington, not Indy or Spencer, and because we wanted to have dinner and drink in Bloomington, and walk. So the price is what it is but I think it contributes to lower attendance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT