ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant pay

Just a thought, was IU holding back to be able to undermine coach Allen. It is interesting bringing in coach Cignetti, I am glad they did, also improved pay for assistant coaches and increased NIL.
Possibly, but it is also possible that they simply drew lessons from the experience over the past few years. Plus, the market changes considerably from a year to year basis.

Additionally, to push back the administration had no problem stepping up to pay Carey when it was needed and I doubt they did that if their hope was to fire Allen and staff. Maybe watching Allen stand by Hiller did not provide the administration the confidence to open the check book based on CTA’s opinion of a coach. Or CCC’s no nonsense approach just drove a harder bargain for his guys.

It would be guess work on either side of the debate, so we might as well just take solace in the fact that we are now willing to pay our assistants well enough to compete in the market.

Last edited:
If the NIL climate doesn't change, IU's AD et al will need to progressively increase Indiana's FB NIL in order to remain competitive for talented portal athletes.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Just a thought, was IU holding back to be able to undermine coach Allen. It is interesting bringing in coach Cignetti, I am glad they did, also improved pay for assistant coaches and increased NIL.

I don’t think it was “undermining” but I think the administration got tired of some of Allen’s revolving door of hires and he lost their trust. He made a few really good hires that were outweighed by several bad hires and holding onto one of them too long.
I said prior to 2023 that if Walt Bell was shown the door, Allen is gone too.
So, IU may have held back some support but it was likely due to the fact that they saw no further ROI on Allen and they weren’t going to dump more money into his regime.

Sounds harsh but this was a do or die year for Allen and if he was going to do it, it was with the resources he had.
Allen alluded to upping the NIL game. That is the result of donors, not the university. Donors also were not going to put a bunch of support into the regime when it became apparent that this was going down the drain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT