ADVERTISEMENT

Assessment of the first two weeks?

ademamp

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
Meant to start this topic awhile back but been busy. Anyways, what are you guys thinking of the team after two weeks?

My quick thoughts, first, the defense is improved. There is no doubt about it. But how much improved? It's hard for me to fathom us being better than 7 points per game improved on defense. I attribute our defense to our takeaways early in the year, but our we going to be +3 in the turnover margin every game? No. We're not. And when we get back closer to the median I am wondering how much more difficult it will be to win games. No one was +30 in turnover margin last year, so we can't be expecting our trend of +5 to continue for the next 10 games.

Now, do I expect our defense to improve by 7 points per game? Yes, but do I expect some Tom Allen press conferences on Monday that sound similar to Brian Knorr on a Monday? Yes.

So that tells me that our offense needs to step it up. And say whatever you want, but Tevin Coleman and Jordan Howard were special backs. They were explosive and were a huge contribution to our offense. Is Devine Redding at that level? I don't think so. Those guys were special. Devine probably has the work ethic but just not the talent. I was Devine's biggest fan but I think he's limited. He's explosive in short bursts and hits the hole hard and fearless but doesn't have the build to run through trash like Howard or the athletic ability to replicate Coleman.

So this is where I say our passing game needs to step up. And not that Lagow can't stretch the field with his arm, but it's the fact that he's only hit on 1 out of 5 passes down the field. We need our running game and deep play threats to connect in order for our offense to start clicking. I am optimistic because I am expecting that at the end of the season our defense gives up 30 points a game, which means our offense needs to be producing 30+ points a game. So far we have 5 offensive touchdowns through two games. So we need our offense to step up. I think it will, but I am cautiously optimistic.

I think Camion could come in and change things dramatically. Give us the explosiveness that we don't quite get from Devine, and if Lagow starts stretching defenses with his arm on deep balls, we could be an 8-9 win team.

What you guys think?

Reactions: Oxford Collapse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News