ADVERTISEMENT

Asinine change for 2024 FAFSA

Cortez88

All-Big Ten
Jan 7, 2017
I’ve done a fair bit of research of this because it is so nonsensical that I couldn’t comprehend it. Those who will have two or more kids in college at the same time are about to get screwed big time.

The “sibling discount” has been eliminated. What does this mean? Well, a students aid package used to be formulated with consideration of whether the kid had a sibling also in college. If college was $100 and the FAFSA filing for kid 1 determined that the family could pay $80, that same determination applied to kid 2. The family could afford $80 whether it was one or two kids.

Starting in 2024, that calculation will be much different. Instead of the family paying $80 for kids 1 and 2 they will pay $80 for kid 1 and $80 for kid 2.

So you may be wondering, if it was determined that family could only afford $80, why does the FAFSA calculation make them pay $160? There isn’t any answer I can find anywhere. This will be crushing to any family who is not extremely wealthy. The rest of us are screwed.

Last edited:
I’ve done a fair bit of research of this because it is so nonsensical that I couldn’t comprehend it. Those who will have two or more kids in college at the same time are about to get screwed big time.

The “sibling deduction” has been eliminated. What does this mean? Well, a students aid package used to be formulated with consideration of whether the kid had a sibling also in college. If college was $100 and the FAFSA filing for kid 1 determined that the family could pay $80, that same determination applied to kid 2. The family could afford $80 whether it was one or two kids.

Starting in 2024, that calculation will be much different. Instead of the family paying $80 for kids 1 and 2 they will pay $80 for kid 1 and $80 for kid 2.

So you may be wondering, if it was determined that family could only afford $80, why does the FAFSA calculation make them pay $160? There isn’t any answer I can find anywhere. This will be crushing to any family who is not extremely wealthy. The rest of us are screwed.
Was it an administrative change at Education, or did Congress change the law?

I believe it was both. I haven’t figured out exactly who is responsible for cutting the sibling deduction though.

I believe it was both. I haven’t figured out exactly who is responsible for cutting the sibling deduction though.
It looks like it was a congressional change passed in 2021. The rationale was the old method favored parents whose kids were close together. Parents with kids 5 years apart had the same overall total cost, but wouldn't get the benefit. I agree it is crazy, but we were in that. Our 3rd child was 5 years behind our 2nd, so we didn't get the benefit of having already paid for 2.

It seems there must be a better way of making this more fair.

It looks like it was a congressional change passed in 2021. The rationale was the old method favored parents whose kids were close together. Parents with kids 5 years apart had the same overall total cost, but wouldn't get the benefit. I agree it is crazy, but we were in that. Our 3rd child was 5 years behind our 2nd, so we didn't get the benefit of having already paid for 2.

seems like they could have just let the discount apply to families that have kids farther apart.

seems like they could have just let the discount apply to families that have kids farther apart.

Maybe 1st kid gets no credit for siblings since the government can't know future kids are going to college with 100% certainty. Then kid #2 gets a double credit to offset for them and kid #1. Kid 3 then gets 3 credits.

Maybe 1st kid gets no credit for siblings since the government can't know future kids are going to college with 100% certainty. Then kid #2 gets a double credit to offset for them and kid #1. Kid 3 then gets 3 credits.
You would think that makes sense. I will say, as someone with a son who is currently a college freshman and a daughter who is a high school junior, this SUUUUCCCKKKKS.

• Sad
Reactions: larsIU

Marv I get that, but I would not have cared if the kids were further apart. It sucks, but we can afford one at a time. Double that? Man that’s going to be a serious ball breaker.

Or let the kids fill out their own FAFSA maybe. Instead of having to be 24

You would think that makes sense. I will say, as someone with a son who is currently a college freshman and a daughter who is a high school junior, this SUUUUCCCKKKKS.

Marv I get that, but I would not have cared if the kids were further apart. It sucks, but we can afford one at a time. Double that? Man that’s going to be a serious ball breaker.

I get it is a problem, we had 2 in at the same time, followed by the youngest. The eldest wiped out a lot of our savings, the middle had some PLUS loans, with the 3rd we had lots of PLUS loans. For us the cumulative was the problem. But if my income was more so that I could pay in real time, the simultaneous costs would have been the problem.

We do need to lower ed costs across the board. That is where the problem lies first.

much of the world has figured this out.

the entire rest of the industrialized world has figured out healthcare.

the US can't have nice things because of conservatives. (both Pub and Dem).

California used to offer free college to in state residents until Reagan became governor.

that dude was a one man black plague on the nation.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

The “sibling discount” has been eliminated. What does this mean? Well, a students aid package used to be formulated with consideration of whether the kid had a sibling also in college. If college was $100 and the FAFSA filing for kid 1 determined that the family could pay $80, that same determination applied to kid 2. The family could afford $80 whether it was one or two kids.

I detested filling those forms out … not sure I could find the patience to do it now. Fortunately… I’m done with that.

Why should I pay for your children's education?

I had one year where THREE KIDS were in college at the same time, Columbia, Cornell, and UCF. No more. FAFSAs do suck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT