ADVERTISEMENT

As if public confidance in SCOTUS wasn't already cratering...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
This is not going to sit well with anyone who believes in seperation of Church and State...

I looked to make sure there wasn't a thread on this already, because it's everywhere on mainstream media...

Rather than post any of the videos that provide political commentary, I'm just going to post the various audio comments so people can judge for themselves...

Three things stand out to me...

First of all Lauren Windsor essentially recorded a similar undercover tape of Alito before. So I'm kind of surprised he fell for it again. The earlier conversation is on this tape as well. He seems a lot more moderate on the recording she made in the wake of Dobbs. Although it strikes me as disengenuous when he discusses the Dobbs leaker, since a lot of people feel the leaker was him or one of his clerks...

Secondly I'm struck by what he says and the fact that he would make these comments to a virtual stranger at some sort of public function. Like I said I think people who value a seperation of Church/State are going to be bothered by what he says. It seems he's decided to "let his freak flag fly"... In more ways than one...

And thirdly the most (pleasantly) surprising thing to me is the contrast between what Alito says and what we hear Roberts say. IMHO, this is how you should respond to the questions posed and issues raised. Whether you feel the person asking the questions is a kindred spirit or not...

Hard to believe they were both nominated by the same POTUS. They almost seem diametrically opposed on how they view society. And apparently disagree on their role as members of the highest court in the land...

Last edited:
This is not going to sit well with anyone who believes in seperation of Church and State...

I looked to make sure there wasn't a thread on this already, because it's everywhere on mainstream media...

Rather than post any of the videos that provide political commentary, I'm just going to post the various audio comments so people can judge for themselves...

First of all Lauren Windsor essentially recorded a similar undercover tape of Alito before. So I'm kind of surprised he fell for it again. The earlier conversation is on this tape as well. He seems a lot more moderate on the recording she made in the wake of Dobbs. Although it strikes me as disengenuous when he discusses the Dobbs leaker, since a lot of people feel the leaker was him or one of his clerks...

Secondly I'm struck by what he says and the fact that he would make these comments to a virtual stranger at some sort of public function. Like I said I think people who value a seperation of Church/State are going to be bothered by what he says. It seems he's decided to "let his freak flag fly"... In more ways than one...

And thirdly the most (pleasantly) surprising thing to me is the contrast between what Alito says and what we hear Roberts say. IMHO, this is how you should respond to the questions posed and issues raised. Whether you feel the person asking the questions is a kindred spirit or not...

Hard to believe they were both nominated by the same POTUS. They almost seem diametrically opposed on how they view society. And apparently disagree on their role as members of the highest court in the land...
What exactly is the problem here? Do you think we should have cookie-cutter members on the court? The collision of contrasting ideas from smart people is a good thing.

Listened to both. I like Roberts' views better, but Alito's aren't that big a deal. This is another failed "gotcha" attempt and a nothingburger.

That was a REALLY lame attempt at a gotcha. As hard as that lady worked to set that up, she got absolutely nothing.

I have no issue with any of that.

I did notice the part where he says we all need to work together to heal the polarization of our nation.

Anyway, it’s funny how the left will excoriate Trump for attacking our legal system out of one side of their mouth and then ruthlessly attack the Supreme Court out of the other.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

Listened to both. I like Roberts' views better, but Alito's aren't that big a deal. This is another failed "gotcha" attempt and a nothingburger.
The problem is justices are supposed to be politically neutral/unbiased.

His voting history, comments like that, flag issue all show that he is completely biased.

Those comments from a random person would be a nothingburger. Those comments from a justice that obviously can't leave his bias at home is a big reason faith in our Supreme Court is going down the shitter.

Thomas was the reason they came up with a joke of an ethics standard. Alito might be the reason they feel pressure to improve on it

Last edited:

His voting history, comments like that, flag issue all show that he is completely biased.

Those comments from a random person would be a nothingburger. Those comments from a justice that obviously can't leave his bias at home is a big reason faith in our Supreme Court is going down the shitter.

Thomas was the reason they came up with a joke of an ethics standard. Alito might be the reason they feel pressure to improve on it
They’re chosen by POTUS because POTUS wants people who agree with POTUS. Shocking that lib presidents pick lib justices and vice versa. Oh the horror

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
They’re chosen by POTUS because POTUS wants people who agree with POTUS. Shocking that lib presidents pick lib justices and vice versa. Oh the horror
They are still supposed to be unbiased and follow the law and precedent.

Roberts has a conservative bent but isn't as obviously biased if you want an example

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

Judges can vote, Skippy.

The left wing of the Democratic party, guys like Raskin (remember him? the guy you thought was such an expert on the Colorado appeal and whose opinion was soundly trounced in a 9-0 ruling by the SCT?), have pretty much announced an all-out war on the federal judiciary. Here's another lame part of it, that unearthed nothing. Alito comes off fine in that exchange; Roberts is awesome in it.

Martha Ann is a nutcase it seems.

That said, I don't like this shit any more than I like the shit that O'Keefe does, no matter how bad it makes Alito look. It's not like he said anything surprising. His opinions are outrageous enough.

Some haven't learned there is a huge difference between hard-hitting journalism and gotcha. I'm not a fan of this stuff either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT