ADVERTISEMENT

Artemis 1 launches tomorrow

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
I am sure everyone is paying attention, but just in case, the first rocket in our moon/Mars program launches tomorrow at 8:33 AM. This one will carry two dummies around the moon and back. Artemis 2 will carry humans around and back, and 3 will carry humans to the south polar region where we believe there is a lot of water. That is where we eventually could build a base as a waypoint to Mars.

I find it exciting we are back in human exploration. Of course when I volunteered to be one of the two dummies, NASA said I was overqualified as a dummy.

I’m a big fan of space travel but I think this mission is a waste of resources.

I think they need to figure out how to use machines or prebuilt habitats or work on sealing off lava tubes and otherwise learning how to handle lunar regolith for the best long term usage of the moon.

I am sure everyone is paying attention, but just in case, the first rocket in our moon/Mars program launches tomorrow at 8:33 AM. This one will carry two dummies around the moon and back. Artemis 2 will carry humans around and back, and 3 will carry humans to the south polar region where we believe there is a lot of water. That is where we eventually could build a base as a waypoint to Mars.

I find it exciting we are back in human exploration. Of course when I volunteered to be one of the two dummies, NASA said I was overqualified as a dummy.
Is there PFAS in the water/ice?

I think they need to figure out how to use machines or prebuilt habitats or work on sealing off lava tubes and otherwise learning how to handle lunar regolith for the best long term usage of the moon.

I think we stand to gain a lot of knowledge in human performance on a foreign world. But beyond that, our excitement for rovers has diminished. Seeing humans land on the moon is something half the country has never seen happen. NASA competes with everything else for our attention and support. Putting humanity back on the moon will whet the appetite for Mars. Otherwise the next humans on the moon will be Chinese in 2030 and I think that would depress US interest in space.

Reactions: TMFT

You’re actually under qualified, Marv, unless you have bionic accelerometer implants for the shock load profiles. ;^)

• Haha
Reactions: Marvin the Martian

2 dummies? I didn't know Hickory and Bowelmania were astronauts!

The moon's hollow - can't do anything with it.

I keed, I keed......

I think we stand to gain a lot of knowledge in human performance on a foreign world. But beyond that, our excitement for rovers has diminished. Seeing humans land on the moon is something half the country has never seen happen. NASA competes with everything else for our attention and support. Putting humanity back on the moon will whet the appetite for Mars. Otherwise the next humans on the moon will be Chinese in 2030 and I think that would depress US interest in space.
It just depends how much technology China can steal from us before then.

Having a space race with the Chinese would boost interest, I think, not depress it.

Having a space race with the Chinese would boost interest, I think, not depress it.
Maybe, if we can be seen as winning. If we go to the moon, then they do, it sets us up for Mars.

If they go to the moon and we don't, I fear we will go to "who cares, we aren't playing that game" mode

Maybe, if we can be seen as winning. If we go to the moon, then they do, it sets us up for Mars.

If they go to the moon and we don't, I fear we will go to "who cares, we aren't playing that game" mode
The US military and associated industries will never let that happen.

Reactions: larsIU

I don't think that's how the deep state thinks. I think a lot of people are paranoid there and would push us to beat the Chinese if they thought the Chinese would beat us somewhere. By deep state, I mean people steeped in Washington, D.C., large agencies like CIA and the military, etc.

I don't think that's how the deep state thinks. I think a lot of people are paranoid there and would push us to beat the Chinese if they thought the Chinese would beat us somewhere. By deep state, I mean people steeped in Washington, D.C., large agencies like CIA and the military, etc.

Yes, I am thinking of us. I want kids excited to be an astronaut or an engineer and not an MBA. We lose a lot of great mathematicians to building derivatives. I would like some of them building flight solutions to Mars

Can’t wait to watch. Are the dummies for effect or are they filled with sensors etc.? Probably a bit of both.
And anyone in to this launch really needs to watch For All Mankind on Apple TV. It’s a really well done drama about the space race, with an alternative history take. Some of the spins on real life events are imaginative, but I think it really works

Can’t wait to watch. Are the dummies for effect or are they filled with sensors etc.? Probably a bit of both.
And anyone in to this launch really needs to watch For All Mankind on Apple TV. It’s a really well done drama about the space race, with an alternative history take. Some of the spins on real life events are imaginative, but I think it really works
The dummies will wear the space suits with radiation sensors under the suit. I don't think there are a lot of other sensors.

There is a new version of Amazon Alexa going that was designed for this mission. It is supposed to show how new tech can work, but have they taught the dummies to say, "Alexa"?

Reactions: Noodle

Yeah . . . cue the "we really didn't want to go to the moon/Mars anyway" crowd. We could get them from football and basketball recruiting boards . . . .

I will ask the question, what do economists know about space exploration?
Even NPR was reporting today how much over schedule, over budget and that space X could do the same in 1/6 of the time for less money AND. AND!!! Have a reusable launch vehicle. Even NASA people were quoted a huge problem is we can afford this platform and can’t relaunch fir two years..

We shii on ind totally privatize DC!!

We choose to go to the moon, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

The the value setting out to do hard things and doing them is priceless. This is true for people, communities, and nations.

Even NPR was reporting today how much over schedule, over budget and that space X could do the same in 1/6 of the time for less money AND. AND!!! Have a reusable launch vehicle. Even NASA people were quoted a huge problem is we can afford this platform and can’t relaunch fir two years..

We shii on ind totally privatize DC!!
Now privatizing is different than no manned exploration. It may have been cheaper to turn it over to one of the egomaniacs, that is a valid consideration.

Now privatizing is different than no manned exploration. It may have been cheaper to turn it over to one of the egomaniacs, that is a valid consideration.
Well I think we all have been witnessing the private sector "egomaniacs" achieve in a few years, what NASA has failed at for 40 years (not a statistically derived #).
When I heard NPR actually reporting ANYTHING that wasn't 100% totally carrying DC's water bucket... I had to make note of it!
And before we go down the obvious rabbit hole, Yes Government does have some very capable, very smart people. Nothing can/ will kill success like tenured security wrapped in bureaucracy, paid for with other peoples money who don't get a seat on the BOD.

Reactions: Lucy01
The news keeps reporting that this is a historic mission, I thought the moon landing was historic !
Not this.

The news keeps reporting that this is a historic mission, I thought the moon landing was historic !
Not this.
It's historic that it only took DC 10 years to get the thing to the launch pad**. One of our 3 "egomaniacs" could do it in 2.

** Notice I said to the Launch Pad... It's already delayed this morning.

Reactions: Lucy01
It's historic that it only took DC 10 years to get the thing to the launch pad**. One of our 3 "egomaniacs" could do it in 2.

The same people that couldn’t protect our Capital!

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Well I think we all have been witnessing the private sector "egomaniacs" achieve in a few years, what NASA has failed at for 40 years (not a statistically derived #).
When I heard NPR actually reporting ANYTHING that wasn't 100% totally carrying DC's water bucket... I had to make note of it!
And before we go down the obvious rabbit hole, Yes Government does have some very capable, very smart people. Nothing can/ will kill success like tenured security wrapped in bureaucracy, paid for with other peoples money who don't get a seat on the BOD.
Hmmmm . . . I presume you're resting your argument on those "egomaniacs" having sent a few persons into space/nearly into space . . . following in the footsteps of NASA's Gemini and Apollo programs from the 60s. They've had how many years to get to the moon? And how many times have they done so? And we think they'll be able to do so by the time the Chinese get there in 2030 because . . . .?

It took 6 years for SpaceX to go from contract to launch. I don't doubt they could have done better, but the current vessels are for low earth orbit. Taking humans to/from the moon is more complicated. I don't know that 2 years is completely reasonable.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Hmmmm . . . I presume you're resting your argument on those "egomaniacs" having sent a few persons into space/nearly into space . . . following in the footsteps of NASA's Gemini and Apollo programs from the 60s. They've had how many years to get to the moon? And how many times have they done so? And we think they'll be able to do so by the time the Chinese get there in 2030 because . . . .?
I rest it on.... Never underestimate DC's ability to eff up all of the money they steal from us.

Oh, launch scrubbed until Friday ... at least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT