ADVERTISEMENT

Armaan Franklin Commits to IU...

giphy.gif

Armaan has strong rebounding stats. Going back to a player like Rod Wilmont, having a guard rebound well is excellent for starting the break.

Just a really solid get. If the staff can land a high profile forward next, IU will have the pieces to keep (hopefully) momentum going.

They don't need 4. Hunter and Anderson will be sophomores. Phinessee, Green and Durham will all be back.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
I like AF for IU.
1. Pass first, good ball handler
IU has scorers in Green, Anderson, Phinisee, Hunter, etc They need a ball handler more than a scorer.
2. Known for defense
IU needs a stopper. A player who is challenged to stop more than score.
3. Length at 6'5" .
4. Growth assuming he plays PG again this year it's only his second year at Point and he will get better.
5. Personality... He fits this team and players. May be most important but he fits these needs and team.

Last edited:
Whew. I’ve seen the entire gamut of Boiler excuses for why Painter whiffed again.

- He got paid
- He doesn’t have the grades for Purdue
- Archie offered way before Painter (Not true; it’s the opposite actually)
- Franklin will start immediately at IU while at Purdue he’d be buried in the depth chart behind a plethora of talent

LOL

Man, it’d be funny if they don’t end up with Newman either. They’re going to be completely devoid of talent after Edwards goes pro.

I tried to look up his stats v. Newman's.....According to Max Preps, as I recall it was

Franklin--23 pts, 8 reb, 4 assists, 83% FT, 51 FG overall, 35% on 3s
Newman--25 pts, 9 reb, 1 assist, 79% FT ?? FG overall, 43% on 3s.

Both Valpo & Cathedral are Class 4 schools who had good seasons a year ago.

I've seen Franklin's scoring avg. listed as 23 in a couple of spots, 19 in a couple of others.

I'm in the 'not thrilled' category on this. I don't like that Rivals has him at 140, Newman at 81. That's a big difference. Going into the summer they essentially were even. So I'm wondering as to the big difference, esp. as I think we'd have gotten Newman if Franklin hadn't committed.

I would have preferred a better shooter/scorer at the 2 guard position, as there isn't much star quality in the Rob P, Green, Durham, Anderson foursome, imo. Franklin is another nice role player. However, 5 of them at the guard positions without a top 40-50 talent is a lot.

Watching you tube videos of Newman, he appears to shoot the deep 3 rather effortlessly. Also, I think he's a little smoother & quicker than Franklin. Those qualities really appeal, I think, to the ratings services. So focusing on those qualities may be the basis of his new found ratings appeal. On the other hand, I don't see a lot of video of him taking the ball to the basket. It may be that Franklin is better/tougher in that respect. Also, Franklin apparently played point for Cathedral last year. He may be a better distributor, esp. given that he averaged 4 assists v. 1 for Newman. So, perhaps, Franklin has more of the intangibles? IU, Purdue, & Xavier all recruited both, but I do think Newman was getting more big-time looks by others at the end? I would like to hear from someone who has seen both play live as to their relative merits.

Whew. I’ve seen the entire gamut of Boiler excuses for why Painter whiffed again.

- He got paid
- He doesn’t have the grades for Purdue
- Archie offered way before Painter (Not true; it’s the opposite actually)
- Franklin will start immediately at IU while at Purdue he’d be buried in the depth chart behind a plethora of talent

LOL

Man, it’d be funny if they don’t end up with Newman either. They’re going to be completely devoid of talent after Edwards goes pro.

Broilees are now 0 for 4 in head to head recruiting with Archie. Phinisee, Anderson, Hunter and now Franklin. Langford rejected them too. If you are a broilee fan.....ouch!

broilees may get Newmann now that IU has filled the spot, but if they don't...yikes!

Not every recruit needs to be a sure fire starter form day one and you need a few to be role players. Role players has played some key roles in our championship runs Without Jim Thomas in 81 we might not have beaten LSU in the semi finals. In 87 without some contributions from Hillman and Eyl we probably not win a couple of the tournament games.

Not every recruit needs to be a sure fire starter form day one and you need a few to be role players. Role players has played some key roles in our championship runs Without Jim Thomas in 81 we might not have beaten LSU in the semi finals. In 87 without some contributions from Hillman and Eyl we probably not win a couple of the tournament games.

Amen.

And basing a judgement on inaccurate statistics and youtube videos is about a silly as it gets.

I tried to look up his stats v. Newman's.....According to Max Preps, as I recall it was

Franklin--23 pts, 8 reb, 4 assists, 83% FT, 51 FG overall, 35% on 3s
Newman--25 pts, 9 reb, 1 assist, 79% FT ?? FG overall, 43% on 3s.

Both Valpo & Cathedral are Class 4 schools who had good seasons a year ago.

I've seen Franklin's scoring avg. listed as 23 in a couple of spots, 19 in a couple of others.

I'm in the 'not thrilled' category on this. I don't like that Rivals has him at 140, Newman at 81. That's a big difference. Going into the summer they essentially were even. So I'm wondering as to the big difference, esp. as I think we'd have gotten Newman if Franklin hadn't committed.

I would have preferred a better shooter/scorer at the 2 guard position, as there isn't much star quality in the Rob P, Green, Durham, Anderson foursome, imo. Franklin is another nice role player. However, 5 of them at the guard positions without a top 40-50 talent is a lot.

Watching you tube videos of Newman, he appears to shoot the deep 3 rather effortlessly. Also, I think he's a little smoother & quicker than Franklin. Those qualities really appeal, I think, to the ratings services. So focusing on those qualities may be the basis of his new found ratings appeal. On the other hand, I don't see a lot of video of him taking the ball to the basket. It may be that Franklin is better/tougher in that respect. Also, Franklin apparently played point for Cathedral last year. He may be a better distributor, esp. given that he averaged 4 assists v. 1 for Newman. So, perhaps, Franklin has more of the intangibles? IU, Purdue, & Xavier all recruited both, but I do think Newman was getting more big-time looks by others at the end? I would like to hear from someone who has seen both play live as to their relative merits.

Franklin is a 4* player who plays in arguably one of, if not the most competitive areas of the state. He is not going to come in and be Langford and that is ok. We have several workable guards on our team and Franklin will be another capable guard. If we land TJD and Brooks with this class to go with Franklin, we will be just fine. If Franklin ends up being a Chris Reynolds type of player who is asked to get the offense going while disrupting the other team's PG with his defense, then we are good. We are starting to add the type of players where people are worried about a 4* guy. What that means is that Franklin is probably going to be a guy who develops over a few years and is then getting paired with a few 5* and high 4* underclassmen in a few years. Teams like that are going to do very well IMO.

I like this pick up. I would have liked Newman too. If he wanted to play here, he should have committed. I like that we are getting to a point where guys are going to feel like they need to hurry up a bit and make up their mind or else lose out on being an IU player. That is a great place to be.

Last edited:
So much of the player rankings seems to rely on scoring. When a kid plays defense, unless it is a shot blocking big man, it does not seem to carry much weight. My first thought is Coach Miller values what you do on both ends of the court and Armaan is already considered a strong defensive player. With his size at guard he becomes a very valuable piece to the puzzle. If he continues to develop his offense people will forget the ranking.

Welcome to IU basketball, Armaan and family.

What I gathered on Franklin is that his rankings went down because he did not have a great summer in AAU. Sometimes certain players don't play well in that kind of setting or not use to that kind of play.

Franklin was dealing with an injury and playing out of position in the spring. Once he switched AAU teams and moved to the 2 spot he played better.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Purdue fans are always vicious SOBs but particularly bad when IU beats them head-to-head. The Purdue Barstool Twitter account is especially awful. Those people have psychological issues.

Purdue fans talk about how much better they are than IU. If that is true, why bring it up constantly? Truly confident people don’t put down and criticize others.

Purdue fans are always vicious SOBs but particularly bad when IU beats them head-to-head. The Purdue Barstool Twitter account is especially awful. Those people have psychological issues.

Purdue fans talk about how much better they are than IU. If that is true, why bring it up constantly? Truly confident people don’t put down and criticize others.

All Barstool accounts are garbage. Although I think Purdue’s is especially bad. If anyone saw what they posted after Dawkins made the decision to step away from football for mental health reasons you know what I’m talking about now.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT