ADVERTISEMENT

Are we still recruiting for 2020?

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I actually like the class we have so far. All 3 guys look like shooters. But are we going to get another player or two? I’d think a Juco guy would be a good option.

I actually like the class we have so far. All 3 guys look like shooters. But are we going to get another player or two? I’d think a Juco guy would be a good option.
I hope so as I've read Leal and Galloway aren't really three point shooters.

Galloway is playing with a broken shooting wrist, but was a much better than average 3 point shooter last year. Leal is a solid 3 point shooter: "Solid size for a shooting guard. Not an explosive athlete, but plays with great strength. Hyper-competitive and will make plays on hustle and grit. Good basketball IQ. High level shooter who can hit from deep and make tough shots off the dribble. Will draw fouls. More scorer than distributor. Average defender. Should develop into a starter during his college career." https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Leal-46046948/

I hope so as I've read Leal and Galloway aren't really three point shooters.

Reactions: minneman
It’s ranked 29th not that good behind Butler and Purdue, Michigan ranked 4th

Michigan's class is fourth, yet their five star, Isaiah Todd is speculated to be going to play overseas next year to play and not sign with Michigan at all.

Take him out of the equation and their class looks a lot like ours.

We're virtually tied with Purdue. We both have two four stars and a three star.

The only reason Butler is so high is because they have have five commits. Lets not act like they are setting the world on fire. They don't have a recruit in the top 100 (their top recruit is ranked 108).

Put a little substance in your post before you try to bash.

Last edited:
Michigan's class is fourth, yet their five star, Isaiah Todd is speculated to be going to play overseas next year to play and not sign with Michigan at all.

The only reason Butler is so high is because they have have five commits. Lets not act like they are setting the world on fire. They don't have a recruit in the top 100 (their top recruit is ranked 108).

Ok whatever look at all the other schools ranked ahead of us. You can’t compensate with great coaching

Facts? What in the hell are you trying to pull?

Reactions: MrBing
Same as Louisville last year..Big classes get you ranked higher...
I'm still meh about Galloway & Leal..And I've seen them multiple times..
This Geronimo kid intrigue's me though..

Reactions: bsmitty08
Okay, my bad.

Why the original post from you then?

Just to trash Archie then?
If Trashing the recruiting is trashing Archie then I guess. Does Archie do the recruiting I’m not sure, all I know is that there was little question about Yogi when he was a junior, it was IU all the way, yet it doesn’t seem that way with Lander, Furst and company.

Same as Louisville last year..Big classes get you ranked higher...
I'm still meh about Galloway & Leal..And I've seen them multiple times..
This Geronimo kid intrigue's me though..

I'm with you on Geronimo. He seems like he's got something.

I read where Galloway had been playing with a broken wrist. That's toughness. I think he'll be a fan favorite in b-town.

Leal, to me, is hard to figure out. I've seen him play and at times has drifted in and out. The times I've seen him, his shot wasn't always on, which was a issue. His d isn't on par with Galloway, so he'll have a learning curve there.

As a group, it's a intriguing group. It's just enough diversity to be different that we don't overlap skill sets, which is important. I'm curious if we can get a shooter or maybe a true ball handler this next cycle. If we can, that would be fantastic.

I read where Galloway had been playing with a broken wrist. That's toughness. I think he'll be a fan favorite in b-town.

Leal, to me, is hard to figure out. I've seen him play and at times has drifted in and out. The times I've seen him, his shot wasn't always on, which was a issue. His d isn't on par with Galloway, so he'll have a learning curve there.

As a group, it's a intriguing group. It's just enough diversity to be different that we don't overlap skill sets, which is important. I'm curious if we can get a shooter or maybe a true ball handler this next cycle. If we can, that would be fantastic.
He’s only a 3 star and we only had to outrecruit Georgia and Boston College, maybe it will work out ok

If Trashing the recruiting is trashing Archie then I guess. Does Archie do the recruiting I’m not sure, all I know is that there was little question about Yogi when he was a junior, it was IU all the way, yet it doesn’t seem that way with Lander, Furst and company.

Furst is just getting started in his recruitment. Still a long way to go.

Same with Lander. He was just on campus not long ago. Recruits don't come on campus if they're not interested.

Yogi didn't commit until November. It was us or Butler. You bring up one recruitment, but what about Cody. No one knew about him. Many thought it was Carolina or Butler. How about Robert Johnson. People thought he was going to Carolina. Point being, why worry about a recruitment in January when kids don't commit until late summer, many times late fall.

Leal has the physical tools. He is tall and pretty fast from what I have seen. The kid can get up there. He reminds me somewhat of Will Sheehey.

I agree with that.

Will got under my skin at times. So smooth and then had moments where you'd go, what the hell was that?

I've bumped the 2020 recruiting thread---see my comments on potential grad transfers

We lose DeRon and Devonte. Everyone else will be a year older. The only things we could stand to add would be a big or a backup PG (or the lights out shooter that isn't in this class). I think the recruiting class pretty well addresses the biggest need. Shouldn't you be in hiding after you were so disappointed Saturday?

The thing I love about Leal is he is such a good teammate. I've played pickup games at the Y, with him, and playing against, obviously, lower competition all he does is set his teammates up and encourage them. I think a large part of that is great coaching. He isn't super athletic, but he hustles and has a high bball IQ (something sorely lacking from Crean's recruits). He will have growing pains (as all freshmen do), but I don't see the negativity. You understand he is the focus of the defense for every team South plays in the highest class in the state? I'm not in any way saying he will be a super star, but him and Galloway seem to be the "glue guys" out teams have been missing for several years. Again, only losing Green and Davis...

Reactions: jiouhyu and MrBing
The thing I love about Leal is he is such a good teammate. I've played pickup games at the Y, with him, and playing against, obviously, lower competition all he does is set his teammates up and encourage them. I think a large part of that is great coaching. He isn't super athletic, but he hustles and has a high bball IQ (something sorely lacking from Crean's recruits). He will have growing pains (as all freshmen do), but I don't see the negativity. You understand he is the focus of the defense for every team South plays in the highest class in the state? I'm not in any way saying he will be a super star, but him and Galloway seem to be the "glue guys" out teams have been missing for several years. Again, only losing Green and Davis...

I've only seen him in aau settings. The times I've seen him, he's deferred to Galloway and Lander, which wasn't a bad thing, which goes back to your being a good teammate comment.

He's got talent, no doubt. I just am a bit more enamored with the other two kids we have coming in is all.

Furst is just getting started in his recruitment. Still a long way to go.

Same with Lander. He was just on campus not long ago. Recruits don't come on campus if they're not interested.

Yogi didn't commit until November. It was us or Butler. You bring up one recruitment, but what about Cody. No one knew about him. Many thought it was Carolina or Butler. How about Robert Johnson. People thought he was going to Carolina. Point being, why worry about a recruitment in January when kids don't commit until late summer, many times late fall.
Because IU won their last game so he has to find something else to bitch about and trash multiple threads.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

That guy doesn't care about facts.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
We lose DeRon and Devonte. Everyone else will be a year older. The only things we could stand to add would be a big or a backup PG (or the lights out shooter that isn't in this class). I think the recruiting class pretty well addresses the biggest need. Shouldn't you be in hiding after you were so disappointed Saturday?

I have been on record that I don't really understand our 2020 class. I feel like there's a lot of overlap of 2G/wing skills, especially with Franklin and Damezi already on board. I agree: we need a PG, a post and shooters. I've seen people speculate that Leal and Galloway, might be good shooters, but with our shooting woes for 2 years now, we don't need "might be good shooters" we need good shooters. So, where does that leave us? Right now, 1 open spot and we still need: PG, post, and knock down shooters. See why I don't think the numbers work out?

Last edited:
I have been on record that I don't really understand our 2020 class. I feel like there's a lot of overlap of 2G/wing skills, especially with Franklin already on board. I agree: we need a PG, a post and shooters. I've seen people speculate that Leal and Galloway, might be good shooters, but with our shooting woes for 2 years now, we don't need "might be good shooters" we need good shooters. So, where does that leave us? Right now, 1 open spot and we still need: PG, post, and knock down shooters. See why I don't think the numbers work out?

I've been saying for over a year that we need a true point in this class.

Archie tried, but he missed out on 6-7 guys........thing is, the guy doesn't have to be that good, or here for more than 1 year. Just somebody that can keep Durham or Franklin from having to be be the backup pg. That's why I hope we scour the grad market at this point.....not a HS reach or up and comer.

This class would not be good by Purdue or Nebraska’s standards. That’s just reality. It is what it is.

what's the meaning of your user name? I always assumed you were a UK fan thinking it was Ball to Boogie, but it seems clear you are an IU guy.

what's the meaning of your user name? I always assumed you were a UK fan thinking it was Ball to Boogie, but it seems clear you are an IU guy.

My nickname in high school was boog/boogie and i played basketball in high school and my number was 23.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT