ADVERTISEMENT

Are People Afriad to Speak?

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
This is an interesting read. I can't agree with everything in it, but I found it to be a fascinating look into the thoughts and actions of someone with a lot to lose who is essentially looking for a political home.

"I just donated $300k to Trump. I’m prepared to lose friends. Here’s why.

Back in 2016 I had drunk the media Kool-Aid and was scared out of my mind about Trump. As such I donated to Hilary Clinton’s campaign and voted for her.

By 2020 I was disillusioned and didn’t vote – I didn’t like either option.

Now, in 2024, I believe this is one of the most important elections of my lifetime, and I’m supporting Trump."

For those that don't know, Maguire is a partner at Sequoia Capital. He has a Masters in Control and Dynamical Systems and a PhD in Physics, both from Cal Tech. He also has a Masters in Statistics from Stanford.

Last edited:
This is an interesting read. I can't agree with everything in it, but I found it to be a fascinating look into the thoughts and actions of someone with a lot to lose who is essentially looking for a political home.

"I just donated $300k to Trump. I’m prepared to lose friends. Here’s why.

Back in 2016 I had drunk the media Kool-Aid and was scared out of my mind about Trump. As such I donated to Hilary Clinton’s campaign and voted for her.

By 2020 I was disillusioned and didn’t vote – I didn’t like either option.

Now, in 2024, I believe this is one of the most important elections of my lifetime, and I’m supporting Trump."
Our team alum chat group was super active yesterday and last night. Small sample but things are really changing. The handful of black guys on it are absolutely done with Biden and the Dems. Not voting trump. Still hate him. Just sitting out completely. And at least 1/4 of the group are voting rfk Jr.

Combined I’d say Biden has a small majority. People from all over the country

Our team alum chat group was super active yesterday and last night. Small sample but things are really changing. The handful of black guys on it are absolutely done with Biden and the Dems. Not voting trump. Still hate him. Just sitting out completely. And at least 1/4 of the group are voting rfk Jr.

I've got quite a few friends who claim they're sitting out the presidential vote altogether and a couple who have said they're going to vote for Trump as a 🖕to the dem party. I can't bring myself to vote for the guy, but understand the reasons some may who wouldn't otherwise. One of my brothers who has been basically a straight ticket D voter for his entire life, is toying with the idea of voting for DJT. He freaking hates the other choice that much. Knowing him the way I do, I was stunned when he told me. My other brother with the "Let's Go Brandon" mentality would be beside himself with glee if he knew.

Too many headers/concussions.

I've got quite a few friends who claim they're sitting out the presidential vote altogether and a couple who have said they're going to vote for Trump as a 🖕to the dem party. I can't bring myself to vote for the guy, but understand the reasons some may who wouldn't otherwise. One of my brothers who has been basically a straight ticket D voter for his entire life, is toying with the idea of voting for DJT. He freaking hates the other choice that much. Knowing him the way I do, I was stunned when he told me. My other brother with the "Let's Go Brandon" mentality would be beside himself with glee if he knew.
i dislike this batch of dems more than any group of politicians in my adult life by a wide margin. i am in league with your brother. i will also add for what it's worth, probably not much, but of our group i was very surprised at the number just saying no to both trump and biden adn voting rfk jr. the interesting part to me is that i know those guys well and they would have otherwise voted for trump. so those are lost trump votes not lost biden votes. again for whatever that is worth. if i had to bet jr will do more harm to trump than to biden

i dislike this batch of dems more than any group of politicians in my adult life by a wide margin. i am in league with your brother. i will also add for what it's worth, probably not much, but of our group i was very surprised at the number just saying no to both trump and biden adn voting rfk jr. the interesting part to me is that i know those guys well and they would have otherwise voted for trump. so those are lost trump votes not lost biden votes. again for whatever that is worth. if i had to bet jr will do more harm to trump than to biden
What a sick bastard. No decent person would ever vote for him.

The nation has problems I think we can all admit that. Trump isn't the answer, he'll only make things worse. The guy is a liar, grifter, a conman, and all round scum bag..
…, yet, at the end of the day he remains a leader among men, alpha male of an increasingly unruly herd.

I sense something is about to happen, before the end of this year. Something changing the course of history, as we’ve come to believe it. That said, I have no information, inside or outside, regarding this matter. I’m stuck on a feeling I just can’t shake.

…, yet, at the end of the day he remains a leader among men, alpha male of an increasingly unruly herd.

I sense something is about to happen, before the end of this year. Something changing the course of history, as we’ve come to believe it. That said, I have no information, inside or outside, regarding this matter. I’m stuck on a feeling I just can’t shake.
I also think the Indians are going to win the Series this year.

Yeah, I'm not doing that. It's not that I have a problem with dumping an offensive name. It's just that I can't picture Bob Uecker in a plaid jacket screaming "The Guardians win it, the Guardians win it, oh my God, the Guardians win it!"
I hear you. The one Cleveland fan I know, refuses to do it too. I still catch myself calling Washington the Redskins and for some reason, Charlotte is still the Hornets.

The judge 100% DID NOT stop Trump from testifying. Trump’s own legal team advised him not to testify. Trump could have overruled their advice, and testified, but he did not do so.
You can't be Trump's lawyer and not advise him not to testify, because it's an ethics violation to knowingly put someone on the stand to lie. You put Trump on the stand as an attorney, and you have to do this thing where you tell the judge that your client has requested to make a statement, and you're not part of it, and then you leave the courtroom while Trump goes on his rant.

If Democrats lose the soccer vote, they’re f#cked. Conservatives already have the Pickleball vote locked up.

Alpha male…..only to insecure men. He’s the least insecure man in politics. Constantly berating others to make himself feel important, constantly seeking approval from those “elites

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and DCDAVID
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT