ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watch old movies?

No argument whatsoever on anything you listed. I love "The Natural" although one guy I know hates it (obviously he took it too literally). I can watch that over and over again kind of like the Shawshank Redemption. I liked Slapshot.
I seem to be in a very small minority on Slapshot,because just about everyone except me likes it.I just couldnt believe Paul Newman would ever be in a show that relied so much on filthy language and stupid excessive violence ,instead of memorable dialogue and interesting characters,as Hud,The Hustler,Cool Hand Luke etc.had.Oh,well,as I have noted,flicks really started to change in the seventies,and I just didnt care for it.

I seem to be in a very small minority on Slapshot,because just about everyone except me likes it.I just couldnt believe Paul Newman would ever be in a show that relied so much on filthy language and stupid excessive violence ,instead of memorable dialogue and interesting characters,as Hud,The Hustler,Cool Hand Luke etc.had.Oh,well,as I have noted,flicks really started to change in the seventies,and I just didnt care for it.
I liked Slapshot but wasn’t as impressed with it as some people. The brothers were pretty funny though. There just aren’t that many good sports movies. Horse feathers (Marx Brothers) was good but that was more a comedy than a sports movie. Some of the silents with Harold Lloyd such as “The Freshman” were really clever.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
There is a 1944 movie called Gaslight, I saw it a couple years ago at IU Cinema. The movie involves a husband covering up his crimes by convincing his wife she is going crazy. The movie is where the phrase "gaslighting" comes from.

In today's world, this could be renamed "Heads Exploding". Trump says the stupidest, most outlandish things and people react negatively. Then Trump supporters say "heads exploding". As if the cause is the liberal reaction.

The cause is something like Trump saying he is considering handing over a former US Ambassador to Russia to Russia. That deserves outrage. Turning this back on the outrage us gaslighting, plain and simple.

It really is a good movie, worth seeing.

White Heat and I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang . Can’t believe I forgot to mention those

I liked Slapshot but wasn’t as impressed with it as some people. The brothers were pretty funny though. There just aren’t that many good sports movies. Horse feathers (Marx Brothers) was good but that was more a comedy than a sports movie. Some of the silents with Harold Lloyd such as “The Freshman” were really clever.
You and I agree on The Freshman and I am glad I am not the only one that has actually watched a silent movie.As a satire on college football,Horse Feathers holds up very well.I just havent seen many good sports movies,either.

Reactions: Bill4411
White Heat is incredible,as is Key Largo.When they are on,I watch them and my wife says its like I am in a trance until they are over.
James Cagney was incredible as Cody Jarrett. The parody of it with Leslie Nielsen in Naked Gun 33 1/3 was a lot of fun with Fred Ward playing the Cody Jarrett character, with Leslie doing his best Edmond O’Brien, and it may be the only movie that Anna Nicole Smith was actually good in having the Virginia Mayo role.

Last edited:
I have never seen this Western until earlier today, Once upon a time in the West:

Great pacing and a fantastic storyline of generational changes. Watched the European release, 2hrs 45mins version

Reactions: Bill4411
I have never seen this Western until earlier today, Once upon a time in the West:

Great pacing and a fantastic storyline of generational changes. Watched the European release, 2hrs 45mins version

I’m usually not big on westerns but The Searchers is an excellent film. My favorite movie from the western genre is a bit more modern...Tombstone from the early 90s. Unforgiven is a western from the same time as Tombstone and is more highly regarded by critics but I didn’t think it lived up to the hype. If you’re looking to watch a more modern western type movie I’d recommend Open Range.

I’m usually not big on westerns but The Searchers is an excellent film. My favorite movie from the western genre is a bit more modern...Tombstone from the early 90s. Unforgiven is a western from the same time as Tombstone and is more highly regarded by critics but I didn’t think it lived up to the hype. If you’re looking to watch a more modern western type movie I’d recommend Open Range.

Just watched "The Professionals" and "Tombstone" yesterday. Five star cast in "Tombstone!" "Open Range," I thought, was quite good. I've probably seen "The Outlaw Josie Wales" about a million times and how could that not be possible as much as it is aired. Such memorable clever and meaningful lines from that movie. Wales: "governments don't live together; people live together." :confused: Fast forward about 150 years and he and "Ten Bears" would be a couple of dinosaurs roaming the earth trying to practice that theory in these uncompromising times we are living in. Not much advancement, it seems.

Reactions: sglowrider

I thought Val Kilmer was terrific in Tombstone. By far his lifetime best. His performance gets my award for The Best Unrecognized Performance by an Actor. The Tin cup gun parody is one of my favorite scenes ever. That scene is made better with Holliday-Ringo confrontation near the end.

I thought Val Kilmer was terrific in Tombstone. By far his lifetime best. His performance gets my award for The Best Unrecognized Performance by an Actor. The Tin cup gun parody is one of my favorite scenes ever. That scene is made better with Holliday-Ringo confrontation near the end.

No doubt about it! Val Kilmer stole the show. He did a great job portraying "Jim Morrison," too. "Heat" was another movie he was in that I liked, but yes, "Tombstone" was his best performance imho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT