ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watch old movies?

On old movies, for the sake of argument, let's start the definition at pre-1965. You are stuck in a cave in Thailand and the rescue diver can bring you one movie to watch. They have a great collection, but it is all pre-1965. What do you have him bring you?

For me it is The Longest Day. I know I can watch that movie over and over and not get sick of it. If it were just a one time viewing, probably Duck Soup.

While not a movie, but I theorize people who love old movies are also Bob Newhart fans. I see he has a series of interviews on Audible called Hi Bob. He interviews some celebrities like Conan O'Brien, Will Ferrell, Jimmy Kimmel, and others. I am in the middle of a book on Audible, but that is next.
I’d probably choose between “Robin Hood” (Errol Flynn) and “The Wizard of Oz”. I know they are corny but I love them nonetheless.

I’d probably choose between “Robin Hood” (Errol Flynn) and “The Wizard of Oz”. I know they are corny but I love them nonetheless.

I do like Robin Hood a lot, and I do find Wizard fun. A movie I seldom see mentioned that I love is Horatio Hornblower. Same for 12 O'Clock High. And I love Mockingbird. Wow, Gregory Peck may be my favorite actor.

On old movies, for the sake of argument, let's start the definition at pre-1965. You are stuck in a cave in Thailand and the rescue diver can bring you one movie to watch. They have a great collection, but it is all pre-1965. What do you have him bring you?

For me it is The Longest Day. I know I can watch that movie over and over and not get sick of it. If it were just a one time viewing, probably Duck Soup.

While not a movie, but I theorize people who love old movies are also Bob Newhart fans. I see he has a series of interviews on Audible called Hi Bob. He interviews some celebrities like Conan O'Brien, Will Ferrell, Jimmy Kimmel, and others. I am in the middle of a book on Audible, but that is next.

Love the Longest Day. I was a sucker for all of those old WW2 movies when I was younger. Seemed like TNT, TCM, or some other such station always had them on when I was around 10. Battle of the Bulge, To Hell and Back, Tora Tora Tora (I guess that one was 1970 but to a 10 year old, a 20 year old movie is ancient history)...those are a few I can remember off the top of my head.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I do like Robin Hood a lot, and I do find Wizard fun. A movie I seldom see mentioned that I love is Horatio Hornblower. Same for 12 O'Clock High. And I love Mockingbird. Wow, Gregory Peck may be my favorite actor.
I just saw a good documentary on Peck via Amazon Prime; it’s free. He was a lot like the characters he played. One favorite movie of his that most people think of Audrey Hepburn first is Roman Holiday. I don’t know if that has ever been remade or not but it would be hard to improve it.

There isn't a single Marx Brothers movie in that list, for shame:).

I think there is a type of bias against modern films. We mainly see the great old movies today, the crappy ones are stored in vaults. Or are destroyed as most silent movies were destroyed. But in today's movies, we see the good and the bad. It makes it seem like all the old movies were Casablanca and all modern movies are The Emoji Movie.

Oh, and Gone with the Wind is horrible. Hate to say it, I know some people really love it. But it is bad.
I only named some of my favorites.The Marx Brothers were awesome and Duck Soup is incredible.Horse Feathers is a great satire on college life,particularly on college football ,and it was made in 1932!There were some bad older flicks,like Clark Gables Parnell and Bogarts Swing Your Lady.Two of the most overrated so called classics are The Magnificent Ambersons and A Streetcar named Desire.I was fortunate to see GWTW at the Indiana Theater in Indianapolis when it was re issued about 1968.It just seems to lose a lot on TV,as do Lawrence of Arabia and Dr Zhivago.Did you ever see a flick everybody except you liked?For me it was Slap Shot.Paul Newman was wasted in a dumb movie with lousy dialogue,too much stupid violence and a weak storyline.

Do I like old movies?Does an old bear do his business in the woods?You cant beat King Kong,from 1933,It Happened One Night,The Petrified Forest,Captain Blood,Charge of the Light Brigade,The Adventures of Robin Hood,Angels With Dirty Faces,Stage Coach,Young Mr Lincoln,Drums Along the Mohawk,Destry Rides Again,Mr Smith Goes to Washington,Gone With the Wind,San Francisco,Test Pilot,Boom Town,Northwest PassageHigh Sierra,The Maltese Falcon,Casablanca,Flying Tigers,Now,Voyager,The Sands of Iwo Jima,High Noon,Shane,From Here to Eternity,'d and The Asphalt Jungle are all classics.They were shows that hold up well because of great acting,dialogue,characters and direction.Now movies rely on sex,violence,gore and filthy language.

That's a great list. I'd add Rear Window, War of the Worlds, Miracle on 34th Street, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and one of my absolute all time favorites--Red River. I'm sure there are more if I'd give it more thought.

Errol Flynn WAS Robin Hood.I love that one so much that no one else could play the Hero of Sherwood Forest nearly as well,in my opinion.Robin and Marian wasted good talent,and Kevin Costner was awful in Robin Hood,Prince of Thieves.Did you know The Wizard of Oz was a box office dud when first released?Hard to believe.

Reactions: Bill4411

Inherit the Wind would hold my interest for several showings.

There is a 1944 movie called Gaslight, I saw it a couple years ago at IU Cinema. The movie involves a husband covering up his crimes by convincing his wife she is going crazy. The movie is where the phrase "gaslighting" comes from.

In today's world, this could be renamed "Heads Exploding". Trump says the stupidest, most outlandish things and people react negatively. Then Trump supporters say "heads exploding". As if the cause is the liberal reaction.

The cause is something like Trump saying he is considering handing over a former US Ambassador to Russia to Russia. That deserves outrage. Turning this back on the outrage us gaslighting, plain and simple.

It really is a good movie, worth seeing.

perhaps what we need is a modern remake, for modern political realities.

except in the new one, the husband and the wife both try to cover up their crimes, by both trying to convince the other that they are going mad.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
There is a huge disconnect I see between what you say you are saying and at the same time saying everyone complaining about them are "heads exploding". What am I missing? Is it fair game to suggest a competent US President would not 1) question NATO's defense of a member and 2) not hold WH meetings (per SHS comments yesterday) on having a former ambassador testify? I don't know why it is OK to brush this off with just "inexperience". How is it "heads exploding" to bring these things up? The head exploding is the one that made the statements to begin with.
How many times do you need to see the following script before you simply accept that this is who CO.H is now?

CO: Something outrageous.
Liberal: Outrage!
CO: Stop with the exploding heads. I never said something outrageous.
Liberal: But you literally said "something outrageous."
CO: I get to decide what my words mean, not you.​

I mean, this has been going on for a couple of years now, Marvin.

I haven’t said much about the news conference In Helsinki. But you speak of outrage in your post.... Really? Outrage? It isn’t like he released 5 Combat Commanders responsible for leading attacks on US soldiers in exchange for a traitor and then Trump attempted to make him a hero.... I mean that would be OUTRAGEOUS

This isn’t an attempt at whataboutism... I just find the over the top rhetoric nonsensical.....
You really don't understand he outrage? Even Fox News found the summit outrageous and you know how hard it is to get them to criticize him.

Yes, Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I don't tell anyone of authority for fear of being institutionalized for wanting to walk out of Star Wars. Too much darkness to keep me awake for one thing. Just didn't like it! And I did walk out of The Sound of Music and I nearly "drove" out of Doctor Zhivago and Grease. Attending those three movies, to steal a quote from "George" in Hoosiers....."you're kinda forced to deal with" because I was on dates, so I just had to compromise. ;) But yeah, there are quite a few, probably, that escapes my mind at this moment that I didn't care for. And I seldom get enthused with the movies made nowadays and the feeble attempt with remakes.

But I do love those old movies! I've seen Gaslight several times and I always enjoy seeing Double Indemnity (the original) with Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyk and Edward G. Robinson. My wife loves Imitation of Life, Madame X and Summer Place. They were so right with the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to. "

I don't tell anyone of authority for fear of being institutionalized for wanting to walk out of Star Wars. Too much darkness to keep me awake for one thing. Just didn't like it! And I did walk out of The Sound of Music and I nearly "drove" out of Doctor Zhivago and Grease. Attending those three movies, to steal a quote from "George" in Hoosiers....."you're kinda forced to deal with" because I was on dates, so I just had to compromise. ;) But yeah, there are quite a few, probably, that escapes my mind at this moment that I didn't care for. And I seldom get enthused with the movies made nowadays and the feeble attempt with remakes.

But I do love those old movies! I've seen Gaslight several times and I always enjoy seeing Double Indemnity (the original) with Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyk and Edward G. Robinson. My wife loves Imitation of Life, Madame X and Summer Place. They were so right with the phrase "they don't make 'em like they used to. "
I wonder if your wife knows about the original “Imitation of Life” that was made with Claudette Colbert-early 1930’s that may be better than the Lana Turner version? It certainly was a ground breaking movie at the time it was made and surprisingly balanced in how it presented race for a movie of that age. It wasn’t quite the tear jerker that the Lana Turner version was but I think I liked it better. A movie that I always liked very much was “The Third Man” from 1949 or 1950-somewhere around then, which involved postwar Vienna and the way there were various sectors of the city were controlled by the allies but no one wanted to be in the Soviet sector. Pretty much a depressing movie but it was brilliantly done.

Last edited:
Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
I wonder if your wife knows about the original “Imitation of Life” that was made with Claudette Colbert-early 1930’s that may be better than the Lana Turner version? It certainly was a ground breaking movie at the time it was made and surprisingly balanced in how it presented race for a movie of that age. It wasn’t quite the tear jerker that the Lana Turner version was but I think I liked it better.

No, she doesn't know, nor was I aware of the original. I would like to see it and I know she would as well. Thanks for the info. So many well-written memorable movies. Glad to have TCM and AMC available.

No, she doesn't know, nor was I aware of the original. I would like to see it and I know she would
I wonder if your wife knows about the original “Imitation of Life” that was made with Claudette Colbert-early 1930’s that may be better than the Lana Turner version? It certainly was a ground breaking movie at the time it was made and surprisingly balanced in how it presented race for a movie of that age. It wasn’t quite the tear jerker that the Lana Turner version was but I think I liked it better. A movie that I always liked very much was “The Third Man” from 1949 or 1950-somewhere around then, which involved postwar Vienna and the way there were various sectors of the city were controlled by the allies but no one wanted to be in the Soviet sector. Pretty much a depressing movie but it was brilliantly done.

Well, well! I stand corrected! Just asked my wife about the 1930 original Imitation of Life and she had known about it. I'll have to try and locate "The Third Man. "

Old Yeller, Biscuit Eater, any Hitchcock, Affair to Remember, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, ( isn’t that about gaslighting too? ) Magnificent Obsession, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte .

Old Yeller, Biscuit Eater, any Hitchcock, Affair to Remember, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, ( isn’t that about gaslighting too? ) Magnificent Obsession, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte .
Sunset Boulevard is worth a watch with Gloria Swanson playing an aging silent movie star that really went over the edge...especially if you like old Hollywood.
giphy.gif

Sunset Boulevard is worth a watch with Gloria Swanson playing an aging silent movie star that really went over the edge...especially if you like old Hollywood.
giphy.gif
Oh yes. Love the play also. Ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille.

You really don't understand he outrage? Even Fox News found the summit outrageous and you know how hard it is to get them to criticize him.

I wouldn’t call it outrageous because frankly, he has said things that would fit as outrageous but to me it wasn’t during the summit. I’d call it unfortunate and disappointing. But in the end, I don’t see it as something that is damaging. Our guys will continue to do their jobs and Russia will continue to do their job against us.

I’m just speaking from being in your position with Obama, turn the news off and stop watching it. Your health will thank you. I literally couldn’t watch Obama on tv....didn’t want to hear him speak. Despised everything he did. I turned it all off and decided to wait for departure. There was nothing to be done. I voted. I thought things he did was outrageous. But we are still here....

Oh yes. Love the play also. Ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille.
The first time I saw “Sunset Boulevard” I thought Gloria Swanson was awful in it but upon watching it a couple of more times I must say she was brilliant in that role and probably should have won the academy award for best actress.

I wouldn’t call it outrageous because frankly, he has said things that would fit as outrageous but to me it wasn’t during the summit. I’d call it unfortunate and disappointing. But in the end, I don’t see it as something that is damaging. Our guys will continue to do their jobs and Russia will continue to do their job against us.

I’m just speaking from being in your position with Obama, turn the news off and stop watching it. Your health will thank you. I literally couldn’t watch Obama on tv....didn’t want to hear him speak. Despised everything he did. I turned it all off and decided to wait for departure. There was nothing to be done. I voted. I thought things he did was outrageous. But we are still here....
I know. The tan suit and the grey poupon were both so outrageous. Those scandals of his were spine tingling. Totally comparable to what's happening today.

Reactions: sglowrider

Star Wars was good,but that was the flick for me when special effects became more important than actors.Once was surely enough to see Grease.Sunset Boulevard was good,except for the few scenes with Jack Webb.That dude was the worst,one dimensional.lousy actor ever to make it in Hollywood.Double Indemnity is great,as is the original The Postman Always Rings Twice.

giphy.gif

Star Wars was good,but that was the flick for me when special effects became more important than actors.Once was surely enough to see Grease.Sunset Boulevard was good,except for the few scenes with Jack Webb.That dude was the worst,one dimensional.lousy actor ever to make it in Hollywood.Double Indemnity is great,as is the original The Postman Always Rings Twice.
You’re right about Jack Webb and he didn’t get any better with his subsequent Dragnet tv show either boy did that stink. I had forgotten he was in Sunset Boulevard but Eric Von Stroheim was great as Max and Eric Von Stroheim like in Sunset Boulevard had been a very great silent film director but I don’t think he transitioned well to sound.

There is a 1944 movie called Gaslight, I saw it a couple years ago at IU Cinema. The movie involves a husband covering up his crimes by convincing his wife she is going crazy. The movie is where the phrase "gaslighting" comes from.

In today's world, this could be renamed "Heads Exploding". Trump says the stupidest, most outlandish things and people react negatively. Then Trump supporters say "heads exploding". As if the cause is the liberal reaction.

The cause is something like Trump saying he is considering handing over a former US Ambassador to Russia to Russia. That deserves outrage. Turning this back on the outrage us gaslighting, plain and simple.

I saw the movie when I was in college. Great movie!

I'll stay out of the political discussion on this post. One of my favorite older movies is, "The Oxbo Incident." It stars Henry Fonda and is worth a watch. In fact it could bring tears to your eyes.

I'll stay out of the political discussion on this post. One of my favorite older movies is, "The Oxbo Incident." It stars Henry Fonda and is worth a watch. In fact it could bring tears to your eyes.
Thats a classic,and Colonel Sherman Potter is Fondas sidekick.

Do I like old movies?Does an old bear do his business in the woods?You cant beat King Kong,from 1933,It Happened One Night,The Petrified Forest,Captain Blood,Charge of the Light Brigade,The Adventures of Robin Hood,Angels With Dirty Faces,Stage Coach,Young Mr Lincoln,Drums Along the Mohawk,Destry Rides Again,Mr Smith Goes to Washington,Gone With the Wind,San Francisco,Test Pilot,Boom Town,Northwest PassageHigh Sierra,The Maltese Falcon,Casablanca,Flying Tigers,Now,Voyager,The Sands of Iwo Jima,High Noon,Shane,From Here to Eternity,and The Asphalt Jungle are all classics.They were shows that hold up well because of great acting,dialogue,characters and direction.Now movies rely on sex,violence,gore and filthy language.
Charlie Chaplin’s Modern Times. One of the most underrated films ever, in my opinion. Yes, it’s considered a classic. But in my opinion it is one of the 20 greatest films ever made.

Charlie Chaplin’s Modern Times. One of the most underrated films ever, in my opinion. Yes, it’s considered a classic. But in my opinion it is one of the 20 greatest films ever made.
The Chaplin film that comes to my mind is “The Great Dictator”.

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
And a lot of our favorite bands from high school are right here:

You’re forgetting, back in the 70s and 80s the “old” movies were from the 30s and 40s. Now the “old” movies are from the 70s and 80s. And the stuff we listened to in jr high is now on the classic rock station.

Reactions: hoosboot
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT