ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on Syd?

Jssanto

All-American
Feb 15, 2019
New Orleans
Any news on Syd’s foot/ankle injury? I live in the south and even with the internet I have seen nothing. Anyone close to the program.

I agree.
I get it, Hippa and all but we want the best for her and the team. Hope she comes back soon.
If it is a high ankle sprain, that takes some time to heal. But even that is better news than a break. Throw us some information crumbs, please!

My guess is Syd has a fracture. Hopefully not a Lisfranc. If correct, she could come back just about the start of the ncaatournament

women play at 2 today. Looking forward to watching a team in IU jerseys play hard, smart and make shots.
Lex in for Syd. I think Moren loves her defense. The issue with Lex is she can’t shoot. 3 pt, mid range, even lay ups. At 5’9’ vs Syd’s 6’2” we give away a lot of length.

Reactions: kkott
Moren did say in her presser that Syd is out with a foot injury indefinitely and will not be available today.

Lex in for Syd. I think Moren loves her defense. The issue with Lex is she can’t shoot. 3 pt, mid range, even lay ups. At 5’9’ vs Syd’s 6’2” we give away a lot of length.
Know nothing about NW other than they are at the bottom of the conference. I like her defense too, so my hope is we develop a good player of the bench that gives us more depth and defensive abilities and we get Sydney back too.

My guess is Syd has a fracture. Hopefully not a Lisfranc. If correct, she could come back just about the start of the ncaatournament
My God…she may be done for the rest of this season or beyond. Would be nice to know more about how this injury happened.

Nothing has been officially said, but a fracture combined with being out indefinitely does not sound good.
well, the only thing I've seen about a fracture was a guess from a poster here. And, if it was a fracture, I don't think the coach would be saying game to game, so I doubt that's what it is, unless someone has more insight than that.

Reactions: Irregulars
It is so hard to know without being on the inside. When Lamendola or Beaumont hit a three yesterday she was almost jumping up and down in front of the bench she was so excited and with a crutch and boot and that activity who knows.

It is so hard to know without being on the inside. When Lamendola or Beaumont hit a three yesterday she was almost jumping up and down in front of the bench she was so excited and with a crutch and boot and that activity who knows.
My read from how Syd acted during the NW game is that she has a sprain that the med./ training staff is working out.She was up cheering her team on without crutches; if she had a break she'd be more down. I think she misses the next game( Md.) and then back in the lineup for OSU.

My read from how Syd acted during the NW game is that she has a sprain that the med./ training staff is working out.She was up cheering her team on without crutches; if she had a break she'd be more down. I think she misses the next game( Md.) and then back in the lineup for OSU.
Man, I hope you're right, I'm just not that optimistic. If it were just a boot and no crutches, I'd feel better. She had a crutch/crutches during the playing of the alma mater after the game.

That is my hope also.

I posted this on the premium forum yesterday:

IU has a tough two-game road stretch next against Maryland and OSU. IU faces Maryland in College Park on Weds, and they got blasted by PSU today, 112-76. While the Terps (12-8, 4-5) are probably going to be in a foul mood after that loss, they lost Shyanne Sellers, their leading scorer, rebounder, and assist leader, to an injury near halftime in today's game and she didn't return. Both IU and the Terps may be without a starter in their game.

The AP Poll came out today and IU has moved into the top ten at No. 10, with Iowa (3rd) and OSU (8th) ahead of them.

I just saw an article from today (Monday) about the availability of the Terps leading scorer after her injury Sunday. Here is part of it:

"Just before halftime, Sellers leaped up to catch the ball from Brinae Alexander, but when she went to land, she collided with Penn State’s Chanaya Pinto and fell to the court clutching her knee."

"Sellers did not return to the game and used crutches to get around on the sideline, according to Lions247 reporter Daniel Gallen."

"Sellers, a junior, leads Maryland in points, assists and rebounds per game. She is also the only Terp to play more than 30 minutes per game this season. Her status will be crucial for Maryland as it approaches back-to-back games against ranked opponents this week, with No. 10 Indiana on Wednesday and No. 3 Iowa on Saturday."

"Maryland is already short two players — both Riley Nelson and Emma Chardon tore their ACLs earlier this season."

I watched Parrish during pregame warmups and she was leaning hard on the crutches. Posture did not look promising. I did not look for her on the bench during the game to see how she was reacting. Hopefully, the above poster who mentioned her being active is closer to her actual status.
With her in street clothes, it was easy to count the number of Hoosiers dressed out: just 9.

As noted above, Bargesser cannot shoot. Everyone scored at least 6 points, except Lex went 0-5 from the field and 0-2 from the line (officially 0-1 because someone jumped in the lane, but it was clanging off the rim before the whistle blew). It hurts my back to watch her shoot a free throw -- those of you who have watched know what I mean. Freshmen Beaumont and LaMendola scored during their minutes. Against NW, Moren was able to let her kittens hunt the injured mouse - and they killed it. I'm curious who Moren starts against MD. Bargesser may get the nod for defense (Lex did get 9 rebounds) and being a Sophomore, but I'd prefer Beaumont at this point.

We definitely need Parrish back before Iowa. Get well Sydney!!

Reactions: Jssanto and MIS01
I watched Parrish during pregame warmups and she was leaning hard on the crutches. Posture did not look promising. I did not look for her on the bench during the game to see how she was reacting. Hopefully, the above poster who mentioned her being active is closer to her actual status.
With her in street clothes, it was easy to count the number of Hoosiers dressed out: just 9.

As noted above, Bargesser cannot shoot. Everyone scored at least 6 points, except Lex went 0-5 from the field and 0-2 from the line (officially 0-1 because someone jumped in the lane, but it was clanging off the rim before the whistle blew). It hurts my back to watch her shoot a free throw -- those of you who have watched know what I mean. Freshmen Beaumont and LaMendola scored during their minutes. Against NW, Moren was able to let her kittens hunt the injured mouse - and they killed it. I'm curious who Moren starts against MD. Bargesser may get the nod for defense (Lex did get 9 rebounds) and being a Sophomore, but I'd prefer Beaumont at this point.

we sure do have a lot of folks who try to diagnose an injury based on crutches, boots and posture! I didn't even watch, but I'll go more with what the coaches say. To me, if she's saying game to game, that would more likely indicate a sprain. I think if it was a fracture, she'd say she's going to be out for awhile. A sprain can be really painful because of the swelling and make you want to stay off it. Although at this point, it's been awhile, so they should have swelling under control. But, sounds like a more serious sprain to me. And, mine is a guess too, but based off the comments of someone who knows more about the situation than anyone here.

It will 100% be Lexus in the starting lineup as long as Sydney is out

Reactions: ptrich and kkott
It will 100% be Lexus in the starting lineup as long as Sydney is out
Yes. Coach Moren has made that clear in her media comments.

Some posters have brought it up that Bargesser can't shoot the ball. Yes, she took just 7 shots in the last two games with no made shots, but before the last two games, she was 26 of 48 from the field this season for a .541 percentage. Why her FT shooting is so off this season is a puzzlement since she hit .714 from the line last season on 10 of 14 attempts and she is at .375 this season. Go figure.

Some posters have brought it up that Bargesser can't shoot the ball. Yes, she took just 7 shots in the last two games with no made shots, but before the last two games, she was 26 of 48 from the field this season for a .541 percentage. Why her FT shooting is so off this season is a puzzlement since she hit .714 from the line last season on 10 of 14 attempts and she is at .375 this season. Go figure.
I didn't take note of Bargesser's shooting technique last year. This year, I've been to all the home games and watch the away games when broadcast, and I swear it looks like someone with a back brace trying to shoot. She bends her knees, but her back is straight up, leaning backward, and her shooting hand is at a 45-degree angle as she rolls it off her hand. If you've seen it, there is no puzzlement about the .375. I can't imagine there is any way she shot like this in high school.

I've been waiting to hear that she had injured her back in the off-season, but haven't heard anything. When she was coming off the bench, it was just an interesting curiosity. Now that she's a starter, if I'm MD down 5+ with under 2 minutes, I'm employing the "Hack-a-Lex" strategy and take my chances.

The alternatives are relatively untested Freshmen, so the takeaway is: Get Well Sydney!

I didn't take note of Bargesser's shooting technique last year. This year, I've been to all the home games and watch the away games when broadcast, and I swear it looks like someone with a back brace trying to shoot. She bends her knees, but her back is straight up, leaning backward, and her shooting hand is at a 45-degree angle as she rolls it off her hand. If you've seen it, there is no puzzlement about the .375. I can't imagine there is any way she shot like this in high school.

I've been waiting to hear that she had injured her back in the off-season, but haven't heard anything. When she was coming off the bench, it was just an interesting curiosity. Now that she's a starter, if I'm MD down 5+ with under 2 minutes, I'm employing the "Hack-a-Lex" strategy and take my chances.

The alternatives are relatively untested Freshmen, so the takeaway is: Get Well Sydney!
It’s exactly the same way she shot last year

I posted this on the premium forum yesterday:

IU has a tough two-game road stretch next against Maryland and OSU. IU faces Maryland in College Park on Weds, and they got blasted by PSU today, 112-76. While the Terps (12-8, 4-5) are probably going to be in a foul mood after that loss, they lost Shyanne Sellers, their leading scorer, rebounder, and assist leader, to an injury near halftime in today's game and she didn't return. Both IU and the Terps may be without a starter in their game.

The AP Poll came out today and IU has moved into the top ten at No. 10, with Iowa (3rd) and OSU (8th) ahead of them.
IU moved to No. 9 in the coaches poll.

That field goal percentage is very misleading because most of her attempts have been layups, not outside shooting. Why the coaches have not gotten her to change her shooting style I'll never understand.

That would be fantastic

That field goal percentage is very misleading because most of her attempts have been layups, not outside shooting. Why the coaches have not gotten her to change her shooting style I'll never understand.
I agree. The coaches know more than I, of course, but it is amazing that her form is so bad. And with the bad form, bad results

Reactions: jmdkhoosier
Looks like the game is on Peacock tonight.... my TV say's 5:30 broadcast.... so game is probably at 6pm Central/7PM Eastern.
(CST-Southern Indiana here)

I agree with above post. Bargesser is really good on defense - fast and with an ability to disrupt an offense. ( Sort of like Cardano-Hillary did) The drawback of that as noted above is that she hasn't shown she can shoot more than layups and that allows opponents to sag way off her. I wonder sometimes what the IU staff saw when they recruited her in HS.Surely she was hitting shots then.
Come back SOON , Syd!

I agree with above post. Bargesser is really good on defense - fast and with an ability to disrupt an offense. ( Sort of like Cardano-Hillary did) The drawback of that as noted above is that she hasn't shown she can shoot more than layups and that allows opponents to sag way off her. I wonder sometimes what the IU staff saw when they recruited her in HS.Surely she was hitting shots then.
Come back SOON , Syd!
It would be interesting to see our staff’s high school scouting reports on all of our players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT