ADVERTISEMENT

Any computer network expert on this forum?

Sorry to disappoint you guys. My question has nothing to do with Donald Trump or Joe Biden.
If there is an expert on computer networking, I would appreciate your advice.

The current configuration is:

The server is in my study (upstairs), the reason being that my computer is there.
Most TV viewing, however, is downstairs (living room).

The signal is transferred wireless via paired antennas. Unfortunately, on certain channels (especially those my wife watches), the signal is very weak. I have added booster antennas w/o much success. I am about to go out to see whether I can find a better antenna but decided to query you guys first.

Any ideas on how to improve the signal strength?
TIA
There is one very simple, foolproof solution that will make things infinitely better - run a network cable from your router to the TV. It's cheap and it works every time. If the router ain't going anywhere and the TV ain't going anywhere, you don't need to use WiFi to connect them.

If you're a real go-getter you can even snake it through the wall rather than just having it run across the floor and down the stairs.

There is one very simple, foolproof solution that will make things infinitely better - run a network cable from your router to the TV. It's cheap and it works every time. If the router ain't going anywhere and the TV ain't going anywhere, you don't need to use WiFi to connect them.

If you're a real go-getter you can even snake it through the wall rather than just having it run across the floor and down the stairs.
Many times you can run it through the ductwork.

@COH

Reactions: Noodle
3 chimney guy over here. Circular driveway too?

Such is the nature of a century year old house. Probably should knock them all down and seal the fireplaces, but my wife wouldn't allow such an architectural sacrifice. She does use the one that's been retrofitted with gas, at least.

Reactions: bigmac76
Such is the nature of a century year old house. Probably should knock them all down and seal the fireplaces, but my wife wouldn't allow such an architectural sacrifice. She does use the one that's been retrofitted with gas, at least.
I have (only 1) woodburning fireplace. 9 years in the house. Never used it b/c the wife doesn't like the smell (she also doesn't like the smell of bacon. Oh, the sacrifices we make for love).

Anyway, it has some awful candle thing in it which gets lit up once a year.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
My guess:

Home gateway/router is upstairs. Like U-Verse (maybe it is U-Verse) the additional TV receivers are connected via wi-fi. They are having trouble getting the signal. I have no idea why only some channels would be affected though in this configuration.

I'm not sure the wi-fi boosters help with the add'l TV receivers. I could be wrong though. I also suspect OP's study is at one end of the house and the affected TV is at the other end. He should move the gateway/router centrally.

My knowledge is likely exhausted given the available info.
Yeah, I'm reconsidering my response about the boosters/extenders. We have Smart TVs so I assumed all was connected via wifi. The TV receivers should act as wifi-extenders (I think)..

Anyway, we had an issue several years ago back in Btown where we were only able to view certain channels. We had to call the cable company to do some outdoor rewiring and that fixed the problem. Meridian should probably start there and maybe request an additional primary cable/wifi/server/etc box for downstairs.

Sorry to take this off-topic.

Reactions: larsIU
The mention of computer and server implies streaming, antenna implies over the air. If the problem is with over the air channels, one can take the tv to where the antenna comes into the house and see if the problem continues. If so, it is an issue with the outdoor antenna. If not, it is with however the signal is getting downstairs.
I agree that mentioning a server made me think a computer was involved with his TV viewing but I don't believe that it is. I forget which service that I was on where they ran the wire into their box and you could connect a computer directly to the box via a cable or you could connect via wifi BUT it had a port where where they had another little box plugged into it and that little box(but it could be internal on some services)connected to any other remote TVs via a wireless signal to a little box on the remote TV. The little box on the remote TV then fed the TV signal it got into the TV. I was told the communications between those boxes was a completely different protocol.

I agree that mentioning a server made me think a computer was involved with his TV viewing but I don't believe that it is. I forget which service that I was on where they ran the wire into their box and you could connect a computer directly to the box via a cable or you could connect via wifi BUT it had a port where where they had another little box plugged into it and that little box(but it could be internal on some services)connected to any other remote TVs via a wireless signal to a little box on the remote TV. The little box on the remote TV then fed the TV signal it got into the TV. I was told the communications between those boxes was a completely different protocol.

Servers?
Wifi?
little boxes?
wireless?
Smart TV?
remote Tv?
router?
Modem?
networks?

Its an industry where they try to confuse ... for money

We hates the nasty little Bagginses.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Servers?
Wifi?
little boxes?
wireless?
Smart TV?
remote Tv?
router?
Modem?
networks?

Its an industry where they try to confuse ... for money

We hates the nasty little Bagginses.
At your age you're easily confused. :) :)

Windows can do 4,500 things - but 4,490 are irrelevant to all but a very few users.
[...]
And of course Bill Gates never went to jail for having his Windows 10 downloaded against the will of the customer and having it literally destroy the consumer's ability to use their computer again.

Free, easy to use alternatives are available.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
And of course Bill Gates never went to jail for having his Windows 10 downloaded against the will of the customer and having it literally destroy the consumer's ability to use their computer again.

I actually made some decent coin for a while fixing these. As long as you didn't absolutely have to have MSFT Office and the Windows key code was legible it was pretty straightforward.

I'm having similar issues. Happens only with a couple of channels after my wife goes to bed. Not sure if it's a paired antenna issue or if my server's hard drive is full. Audio is fine BTW. I actually need to turn the volume down.

dYmEWj8.jpg
What a prevert!

Windows can do 4,500 things - but 4,490 are irrelevant to all but a very few users.
One thing they did finally add that I really like is more that one clipboard... I've wanted that for quite some time.

What you said about Windows is the way I feel about Microsoft Word. I just want to write a simple document so I use WordPad a lot of times. I wish Word had a "Don't Help Me" button.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT