ADVERTISEMENT

Any camping experts here? Looking to purchase for a family of 5.

First night of backyard camping is upon us! Temperature will drop to about 43, expecting rain around 8:00am. Hopefully kids will wake earlier so we can pull out tent up before the nasty weather hits.

Kids are super excited. It’s a good night my friends. Fire pit is burning, the lady and I have full glasses of port to sip on. May all your evenings be as blessed.
How did it go?

How did it go?

We had a great night! It was def chilly, but we were prepared. We woke up about 6:30am. We were anticipating rain and wind starting around 7:00 which never happened until about 10:00. I'm really happy I purchased the instant tent set up. It really makes it easy to set up and tear down.

I think we're ready to try this again. In fact I'm interested in purchasing a propane cooking burner. Any thoughts on these? I notice some have legs and some don't. Seems legs would make it easier to use anywhere.

We had a great night! It was def chilly, but we were prepared. We woke up about 6:30am. We were anticipating rain and wind starting around 7:00 which never happened until about 10:00. I'm really happy I purchased the instant tent set up. It really makes it easy to set up and tear down.

I think we're ready to try this again. In fact I'm interested in purchasing a propane cooking burner. Any thoughts on these? I notice some have legs and some don't. Seems legs would make it easier to use anywhere.
That's great. Glad it went well.

I use a 2 burner coleman stove when we car camp or if there's a group of us canoe camping. If we're car camping I take a folding table. The table gives you more room to prep food.
https://www.rei.com/product/883484/coleman-triton-propane-2-burner-stove

Reactions: All4You

I have a small 2 burner Coleman like Hooky, but alot of the times I use a little single burner one, like I've linked below. I also have a propane lantern, and that's nice as both it and the cooktop can use propane. It's nice because they back each other up, so if one runs out, I can use the propane for the other.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ma...-Camping||71700000057441091|58700005323922757

Last edited:
Ok, so if everyone digs the back yard camping throw me a few ideas of places to go for our first true camping trip. Prefer not to far (couple 2-3 hours) from Indy. Given my wife is still hesitant to be around large crowds maybe even a place that could be less crowded?

TIA
Patoka Lake. Nice paved trails for bike riding. Close to Hemlock Cliffs for a little hiking. French Lick is only 15 min away...

I have a small 2 burner Coleman like Hooky, but alot of the times I use a little single burner one, like I've linked below. I also have a propane lantern, and that's nice as both it and the cooktop can use propane. It's nice because they back each other up, so if one runs out, I can use the propance for the other.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ma...-Camping||71700000057441091|58700005323922757
You could always go straight campfire.
0CINKFO.jpg

jqavkFb.jpg

You could even go straight up kill it and grill it.
xAYVApb.jpg

Reactions: kkott and All4You
0CINKFO.jpg

jqavkFb.jpg

xAYVApb.jpg

Not sure that first one will get there with those thick steaks. I do sometimes grill over my fire, but I usually bring some matchlight charcoal to make it easy and to have a good bed of coals to cook over (usually dinner time is early for the campfire, so not many coals). Generally I don't like lighter fluid or matchlight to cook with to avoid any chemical taste to the food, but I'll make an exception when camping.

Not sure that first one will get there with those thick steaks. I do sometimes grill over my fire, but I usually bring some matchlight charcoal to make it easy and to have a good bed of coals to cook over (usually dinner time is early for the campfire, so not many coals). Generally I don't like lighter fluid or matchlight to cook with to avoid any chemical taste to the food, but I'll make an exception when camping.
They got there. Those coals were plenty hot enough for a Pittsburgh rare after a long day of paddling.

If we're car camping, I'll bring lump charcoal but throw in the chimney and some newspaper to get it started.

Reactions: kkott
They got there. Those coals were plenty hot enough for a Pittsburgh rare after a long day of paddling.

If we're car camping, I'll bring lump charcoal but throw in the chimney and some newspaper to get it started.

Always good to have some cheats with campfires. never know what the rain situation will be.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Always good to have some cheats with campfires. never know what the rain situation will be.

The benefit to using Matchlight charcoal is it also acts as starter and tinder for your campfire.

The benefit to using Matchlight charcoal is it also acts as starter and tinder for your campfire.
I've never used it. Once you take it out of the bag, does it start losing it's juice?

I've never used it. Once you take it out of the bag, does it start losing it's juice?

Not really, it's been pretty dependable in my experience, although the only time I use it is for camping, and not sure I've ever really gotten it wet or allowed it to draw much moisture. I do know I've kept it in the garage tightly wrapped and it's been good the next season. I think keeping it dry is probably the key. If you keep it sealed up well, I think it will hold it's juice, but if it's out loose where it can absorb moisture, then it might be less fiery.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
0CINKFO.jpg

jqavkFb.jpg

xAYVApb.jpg
I'm not man enough to kill my dinner. Maybe that's why I still don't eat red meat. Only 4 years ago did I return to eating organic free range poultry.

Reactions: sglowrider
Anyone ever use the hipcamp.com website? Still looking for a good place to camp memorial day weekend that won't be uber crowded. Thinking a private property might be the way to go.

Anyone ever use the hipcamp.com website? Still looking for a good place to camp memorial day weekend that won't be uber crowded. Thinking a private property might be the way to go.

I have found that both Memorial and Labor day weekends are the absolute worst times to camp at nearly any public site...up to your elbows in assholes, many of the inebriated hillbilly variety. It's not always that way, but much more often than not.

If you can find a private property with reasonable rates I would go with that, but do your homework on it and make sure you won't find yourself in a "private" property that has 30 plus sites packed into a few acres or you could find yourself in the same boat.

That's great advice. You can also buy fatwood firestarters that have worked really well for me in the past and don't take up as much room as a duralog, but will get your fire started. Should be natural too, vs duraflame logs. Plus, you'll look like more of a hero to the kids and it won't look like you're cheating with a duralog!
or learn how to make a fire and allow proper air flow

pussy

you are also a pussy

sack up
Last time I was part of killing an animal was while hiking in Nepal in 2001. We were ending our month trek to Everest base camp and on the way down decided to purchase a goat and have it slaughtered and have a big celebration with the sherpas and everyone. I got all kinda emotional for this goat that we were soon to slaughter. Don't know why, maybe it's the fact I never see my dinner being slaughtered minus the occasional fish. So I decided I would be a part of the killing and prepping the animal for the spit. Seemed like the respectful thing to be done. It was pretty disgusting and I'm glad I did it, but it was the last time I ate red meat. I came to the conclusion if I was hunting for my own food that would be one thing, but **** if i'm gonna continue to eat animals from these corporate farms that don't respect the animals. I suppose I could have started demanding grass fed animals that have a better life, but just seemed there's plenty other food for me to enjoy and get nourishment from.

Ok, thoughts on propane burner cooking or cooking over an open fire? Remember rookies here, though I'm a very capable cook at home. Need to make my purchases in the next couple days for this weekend. Still trying to figure out where we're going, but we're going somewhere. Just one night this trip...baby steps.

Ok, thoughts on propane burner cooking or cooking over an open fire? Remember rookies here, though I'm a very capable cook at home. Need to make my purchases in the next couple days for this weekend. Still trying to figure out where we're going, but we're going somewhere. Just one night this trip...baby steps.
The easiest, least expensive, low risk option is the double burner coleman.

Its funny... the gf's sister is a cardiovascular surgeon ie human body butcher. She can only eat meat chopped up into small pieces like you would for infants. Any large chunks of meat will put her off her dinner.

I've got a large hunk of meat I bet she'd swallow.

It had to be said.

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
Well, we decided to go camping for the first time in a while last summer, and I had the same dilemma as you. I thought buying two tents would be a better idea as we wouldn't have to stay together in one tent. At last, my wife convinced me to buy a bigger one as it would be cheaper and make us feel the charm of camping together. The biggest issue is we couldn't find a proper a/c for our kids. I googled for the best caravan air conditioner, and there were so many options it made me panic. We decided to buy two different a/c to see how it goes.

Last edited:
How did this thread get by me?

I love camping. And I love everything about it. I love my gear. It's taken years to acquire it all. I spend countless hours day dreaming at work about camping, winter camping, campgrounds at national parks, state parks, trails, trails and more trails and maps.

I have a site already reserved for Memorial Day this year at Pokagon. I know it will be crowded, wont bother me, I'll be in the woods. Wife and kids can suffer playing on the beach. The beach and water, that's the pull for my wife. It's January and I'm planning meals already. Ha. I get little kid excited for this stuff.

Once we get a break in the weather, I'm going back to Shades. Very early spring. I can deal with cold weather. Rather be cold than hot. My goal this year is to camp minimum 6 times. I don't camp July or August. Cant handle that heat. If it's to hot to have a fire, it's too hot for me.

I'd like to get it to where if there's a no plan weekend coming up my kids and I just go camping, and not think twice.

Time spent at a campground or a trail is better than anything I do in real life.

sigh...

How did this thread get by me?

I love camping. And I love everything about it. I love my gear. It's taken years to acquire it all. I spend countless hours day dreaming at work about camping, winter camping, campgrounds at national parks, state parks, trails, trails and more trails and maps.

I have a site already reserved for Memorial Day this year at Pokagon. I know it will be crowded, wont bother me, I'll be in the woods. Wife and kids can suffer playing on the beach. The beach and water, that's the pull for my wife. It's January and I'm planning meals already. Ha. I get little kid excited for this stuff.

Once we get a break in the weather, I'm going back to Shades. Very early spring. I can deal with cold weather. Rather be cold than hot. My goal this year is to camp minimum 6 times. I don't camp July or August. Cant handle that heat. If it's to hot to have a fire, it's too hot for me.

I'd like to get it to where if there's a no plan weekend coming up my kids and I just go camping, and not think twice.

Time spent at a campground or a trail is better than anything I do in real life.

sigh...
That's the beauty of being in NC... hot summer: head to the mountains! Anything above 3000' usually is a good bit cooler and fine, you get above 4000 and you might end up needing a fire or jacket at night!

or learn how to make a fire and allow proper air flow

pussy
I'm fine with being a pussy, if it means one who is warm sitting around my campfire while watching true "he-men" struggle to get their fire lit in the rain. Rain is pretty much a given camping in the mountains in NC, and it only takes a time or two of sitting around a wet, smoky pile of soaked wood to recognize any shame in using a firestarter is quickly lost in the warmth of your campfire. I even took some fire and embers over to our 2 neighbors after watching them struggle to get their fire lit in the rain. They gladly swallowed their pride and had a decent fire the rest of the night!

I'm fine with being a pussy, if it means one who is warm sitting around my campfire while watching true "he-men" struggle to get their fire lit in the rain. Rain is pretty much a given camping in the mountains in NC, and it only takes a time or two of sitting around a wet, smoky pile of soaked wood to recognize any shame in using a firestarter is quickly lost in the warmth of your campfire. I even took some fire and embers over to our 2 neighbors after watching them struggle to get their fire lit in the rain. They gladly swallowed their pride and had a decent fire the rest of the night!
Rain is my kryptonite. I find it demoralizing and defeating. It's just not fun on any level. I can tolerate night rainfall. Just keep all my wood in the tent. But agree, sitting around wet with no let up in the rain is pure torture.

Rain is my kryptonite. I find it demoralizing and defeating. It's just not fun on any level. I can tolerate night rainfall. Just keep all my wood in the tent. But agree, sitting around wet with no let up in the rain is pure torture.
I don't like camping in the rain either and it's hard to get away from down here. Phish might have another pussy conniption fit, but my favorite campground up in the mountains is a campground that has some real basic cabins (I call the basic ones sleep shacks.... they have nicer ones too) that have mattress pads, a covered porch, a half bath so you can take a leak and brush your teeth in the cabin (my rule is #2 is done in the privacy of an empty cabin or at the bathhouse!), a covered porch to get you out of the rain, and most importantly: a window air conditioner. Their riverside tent sites I think are around $45 and these are like $85 a night, but well worth it to me not to have to F with wet gear and to be able to get in out of the rain... oh yeah, and indoor plumbing and that AC! C'mon inside with we pussies Phish, the water's fine.... and we'll have a nice fatwood campfire later!

A bourbon over ice, a book, some tunes and sitting on the porch in the rain watching the river roll by ain't a bad way to spend a rainy afternoon!

you need to come camping with me! There are advantages to grown kids!
I'm all about some porch time, watching the river roll by and enjoying a beverage. Throw in a good cigar and it's about perfect.

I'm all about some porch time, watching the river roll by and enjoying a beverage. Throw in a good cigar and it's about perfect.
I'll share it with you if you're into that sort of thing, but it's about the best arrangement going for my likes: Hot Springs Resort and Campground in Hot Springs NC. It's right on the French Broad River, and is the end of a whitewater stretch in fact. The outfitters literally takeout at the campground, so someone has to run the shuttle back to the outfitters, but everyone else can head to the cabin if you go rafting. The AT also runs right down Main St to cross the bridge over the river, and there's a great hike right across the river to a rock outcropping that looks back over the campground and town that takes about 60-90 minutes from the cabin, and of course you can do longer hikes. And there are hot springs piped up into hot tubs too. Plus with the cabins and being on the edge of town, everything is super convenient. Cook over the campfire when you want, or walk to town for a meal, coffee, etc... It's not a glitzy resort town like Blowing Rock or Cashiers, but if you dig the outdoors, but still appreciate conveniences, it's hard to beat. Good fishing, paddling and tubing in the river and there's a trout stream through town and lots to see and do, and the town just has a cool vibe. The outfitters have a great shirt: "Hot Springs: We're not as high as you think we are" because there are some high peaks around it, but it's elevation is actually pretty low being on the river.

Now as long as Eppy doesn't bring his tribe of heathens up there to break the peace when I'm on the porch with my bourbon, I'll be good!

PS, they also have outdoor shower stalls and I usually start my happy hour in there with a couple shower beers!

I'll share it with you if you're into that sort of thing, but it's about the best arrangement going for my likes: Hot Springs Resort and Campground in Hot Springs NC. It's right on the French Broad River, and is the end of a whitewater stretch in fact. The outfitters literally takeout at the campground, so someone has to run the shuttle back to the outfitters, but everyone else can head to the cabin if you go rafting. The AT also runs right down Main St to cross the bridge over the river, and there's a great hike right across the river to a rock outcropping that looks back over the campground and town that takes about 60-90 minutes from the cabin, and of course you can do longer hikes. And there are hot springs piped up into hot tubs too. Plus with the cabins and being on the edge of town, everything is super convenient. Cook over the campfire when you want, or walk to town for a meal, coffee, etc... It's not a glitzy resort town like Blowing Rock or Cashiers, but if you dig the outdoors, but still appreciate conveniences, it's hard to beat. Good fishing, paddling and tubing in the river and there's a trout stream through town and lots to see and do, and the town just has a cool vibe. The outfitters have a great shirt: "Hot Springs: We're not as high as you think we are" because there are some high peaks around it, but it's elevation is actually pretty low being on the river.

Now as long as Eppy doesn't bring his tribe of heathens up there to break the peace when I'm on the porch with my bourbon, I'll be good!

PS, they also have outdoor shower stalls and I usually start my happy hour in there with a couple shower beers!
Have you ever been to Jordan Lake west of Raleigh? Beautiful area with lots of campgrounds surrounding the lake. It's been over 20 years since I've been there, though. That was the site where I found out with no uncertainty that my wife was NOT a camper.

We've never camped before as a family. Yea I suppose we should try something out in the backyard first. But assuming we enjoy and want to take the next steps, what would you all recommend for our family?

I've got three girls, 10, 13 & 14. Should I buy a single tent with some built in partitions for privacy for the girls or consider buying two seperate tents? Also have a 90lb dog we might want to bring along. How many sq ft per person should I be looking for some comfort? Also what do you recommend for sleeping bags and pads? I probably won't invest in cooking equipment until we know we enjoy the sleeping experience first.

Any other thoughts?

TIA!
Get a couple hotel rooms within sight of a mountain and a tree or two and wifi for the girls to text nonstop with their "friends." Doubtful they really want to go camping if you don't have your gear by now.

Have you ever been to Jordan Lake west of Raleigh? Beautiful area with lots of campgrounds surrounding the lake. It's been over 20 years since I've been there, though. That was the site where I found out with no uncertainty that my wife was NOT a camper.
I've been to Jordan Lake for the day, but never camped there. I'm in charlotte so Raleigh is 3 hours away and in less than 3 I can be in the mountains and almost to the beach so I haven't wanted to head that way. I am dating a woman who lives in Raleigh and we've gone there for the day and to paddleboard.

Haven't you thought about taking a caravan? It would be much more convenient for your whole family, especially since you have 3 daughters and need privacy. Plus, it will be much more comfortable, and you will not need to invest in camping equipment. But the decision is yours. I also camped in tents, the experience is quite fun, but it's better with the caravan anyway. Especially now there are a lot of camping places that offer special camping space for caravans. We recently were with our whole family at https://jasminebreezerv.com/attractions/ because they have perfect attractions for guests. We liked it as much as my children did. They have places for both tents and caravans. It's cool! I recommend it;)I have a lot of experience related to camping. You can write me in DM.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT