ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Bourdain RIP

There was a news story this morning about a study showing a link between bad social media events and deptession. I was going to start a thread on it, but the study did not cover the order. It may be bad social media leads to depression, it may be depression leads to bad social media.

Reading many of the posts here, we all must be depressed or about to be because the bad posts are quite numerous.

I just don’t have this kind of reaction to anyone on television... just a little strange to me the cult following of celebrities.....mine is tied to people I actually know....he obviously was troubled beyond any viewer knew... take solace in having plenty of reruns to bath in over the weekend and months to come.

Hmm, reconcile this post with your post on Krauthamer?

What do you attribute the sharp rise in this to? Sugar? Lifestyle?

I wish I knew enough to be able to have such insight. I would guess that the evolution of American life contributes somehow, but I don't know how to dole out which parts or in what amount they are behind it. I just know how devastating it all is and how disappointing people being glib about other people's pain is.

On that note, likewise saddened to hear about the return of Charles Krauthammer's cancer. That truly sucks.

I wish I knew enough to be able to have such insight. I would guess that the evolution of American life contributes somehow, but I don't know how to dole out which parts or in what amount they are behind it. I just know how devastating it all is and how disappointing people being glib about other people's pain is.

On that note, likewise saddened to hear about the return of Charles Krauthammer's cancer. That truly sucks.

It isn't just American life though. It's developed country life. Japan and South Korea have long been some of the worst per capita when it comes to suicide rates.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...016-saw-another-decline-suicides-japan-21897/

I don't know much about Charles, but he seems to be respected by many and had some very uplifting things to say in the face of near-term peril.

Then why don’t you stay out of the thread if the only reason you’re here is to be a jackass?

I just don’t have this kind of reaction to anyone on television... just a little strange to me the cult following of celebrities.....mine is tied to people I actually know....he obviously was troubled beyond any viewer knew... take solace in having plenty of reruns to bath in over the weekend and months to come.

When I was a young man, I was an even bigger asshole than I am now. I said things like: "Need help finding yourself? Call the FBI." Then my life happened.

Life was simpler and more comfortable when I was a callous young man, untouched by real life. Now I'm more vulnerable, so today I felt unaccountably sad about Tony Bourdain.

I think for many very successful people who have suffered from depression and suicidal thoughts, you reach your goals and you find out after all this struggle to attain what you think will make you happy (money, success, and fame for some), you find that you’re not. The money, the lavish things, and whatever material things you finally acquire don’t work. I think that’s when you realize it’s your relationships, friends, and family that are the most important things in the short lives we have.

There are a million examples of geniuses who’ve “had it all” who have killed themselves or who are profoundly depressed. Too many examples to count.

Sure, being able to travel the world or be financially set for life would likely be a wonderful and enjoyable thing for most, but depression distorts your perception of reality, so for folks like Bourdain his reality was likely far different than what we think it should be.

I think for many very successful people who have suffered from depression and suicidal thoughts, you reach your goals and you find out after all this struggle to attain what you think will make you happy (money, success, and fame for some), you find that you’re not. The money, the lavish things, and whatever material things you finally acquire don’t work. I think that’s when you realize it’s your relationships, friends, and family that are the most important things in the short lives we have.

There are a million examples of geniuses who’ve “had it all” who have killed themselves or who are profoundly depressed. Too many examples to count.

Reactions: DrHoops
I found this to be a fascinating story about the link between social media and suicide/depression.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ty-pennsylvania-runner-showed-only-part-story

This runner seemed to have everything going for her. She was beautiful, smart, popular, had a full ride as a runner for Penn’s track team. Then one day she jumped to her death from a parking garage.

There was a news story this morning about a study showing a link between bad social media events and deptession. I was going to start a thread on it, but the study did not cover the order. It may be bad social media leads to depression, it may be depression leads to bad social media.

Reading many of the posts here, we all must be depressed or about to be because the bad posts are quite numerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
When I was a young man, I was an even bigger asshole than I am now. I said things like: "Need help finding yourself? Call the FBI." Then my life happened.

Life was simpler and more comfortable when I was a callous young man, untouched by real life. Now I'm more vulnerable, so today I felt unaccountably sad about Tony Bourdain.
I've been a Bourdain fan since one of my old chefs many years ago bought me Kitchen Confidential for Christmas. I didn't really watch him much on TV, but if I was flipping around and saw him, I'd stop flipping for a while. He had a great sense of humor, which came across on both the screen and the page. Plus, while he was being entertaining, he was also teaching you things. I think the lessons I learned from him stuck with me more, simply because I was being entertained while I was learning.

Reactions: Lucy01
Then why don’t you stay out of the thread if the only reason you’re here is to be a jackass?
Because he's a closet jackass. Sad.

Sadder is that he's responded to. I don't get the faux tolerance of not Ignoring time wasters upon first realization. You get what you reward.

He's not closeted. He's right out there for everyone to see.

Because he's a closet jackass. Sad.

Sadder is that he's responded to. I don't get the faux tolerance of not Ignoring time wasters upon first realization. You get what you reward.

It's like there's a sign on the front door, or something. "Douchebags Wanted - Start Immediately."

Here's the thing Goat. Every single person in this thread has contemplated ending their life at some point. The degree to how seriously we did, varies immensely.

I say if you want to end it take a Xanax and try a bit harder on Monday.

You'll usually end up realizing you're nothing but selfish....

Here's the thing Goat. Every single person in this thread has contemplated ending their life at some point. The degree to how seriously we did, varies immensely.

I say if you want to end it take a Xanax and try a bit harder on Monday.

You'll usually end up realizing you're nothing but selfish....
Uh, no. Ending my life has never crossed my mind even once. Why would you say that we all have?

I do agree that doing it has some selfishness involved.

I will add one more thing. This is a sentiment I've shared with some others, but it's worth adding to this thread.

I've spent a lot of my life in the industry. And the industry has given rise to many, many celebrity chefs. Too many, really. They all have various levels of respect and popularity among the general public, as well as among people actually in the kitchen. There is only one that stands out as different. There is one chef who is almost universally respected by people actually in the industry as the best exemplar of what we are, what we could be, and perhaps most importantly, what we aspire to be. Anthony Bourdain is that chef. Or was. I'm blown away by how many people who never put on that apron to flip burgers or roast duck or plate up Reubens or whatever are feeling this loss. That's impressive. It tells me that Bourdain crossed that line and brought our world into your world. But I can tell you this: no one is feeling this loss the way back of house workers in the nation's restaurants are. Bourdain was our guy. Not Ramsay, not Fieri, not Oliver, not Emeril. Bourdain was the guy. This is a loss for the entire industry, and I don't think I've ever seen the kind of universal sadness among restaurateurs and chefs that I'm seeing tonight.

Godspeed, Tony.

OR...maybe it's because someone is so depressed, they can't go on any longer. Why is this something that's so hard to understand?

This translates to lack of empathy. To be so consumed with your own unhappiness and to neglect how your decision impacts your kids (and broader family) is unfathomable.

Reactions: sglowrider
You're an Estate Planner. You used to work in a kitchen?

So did I! But now I'm at Oracle.

Food service did actually help pay through my years at Indiana University.

I don't feel a special connection to him because I never knew him personally, despite the fact that we worked the same job in college.
It's more than a college job for me. I've spent most of my life in the industry, and my legal career aside, I expect I'll probably finish my life in the industry, as well (hopefully owning my own joint, instead of working for someone else).

OR...maybe it's because someone is so depressed, they can't go on any longer. Why is this something that's so hard to understand?

There just folks who cant empathise with strangers with afflictions -- until it happens to them personally, then they will be shouting from the rooftops eg Cheney and his lesbian daughter.

Exactly...and until then everyone else is the idiot. Sigh. It's like talking to a brick.

There just folks who cant empathise with strangers with afflictions -- until it happens to them personally, then they will be shouting from the rooftops eg Cheney and his lesbian daughter.

Reactions: sglowrider
Sometimes its down to a chemical imbalance. A dosage of SSRIs could do the trick.

That doesn't explain knowingly putting your kids through pain and inflicting mental trauma on them because you can't cope. This wasn't some case where he was in hospice and a drag on his family.

I have several friends that this has happened to and they are all scarred from it, some of them battling their own issues now.

That doesn't explain knowingly putting your kids through pain and inflicting mental trauma on them because you can't cope. This wasn't some case where he was in hospice and a drag on his family.

I have several friends that this has happened to and they are all scarred from it, some of them battling their own issues now.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but if you're trying to judge the decision made by a depressed person to take their own life, just stop. None of us who are not depressed can understand what existence is like for those who are. Because of the physical and chemical differences, existence itself is qualitatively different for them. The decision he made is in no way analogous to you making the same decision. It's just a fundamentally different thing that you and I can't truly understand.

I always like Anthony because he was flawed and wasn't ashamed of it. But more importantly, he had a platform that could unite the world - food. A global common talking point.
So I thought what he did went beyond a food & travel show and was a global public servant as a result.

I always like Anthony because he was flawed and wasn't ashamed of it. But more importantly, he had a platform that could unite the world - food. A global common talking point.
So I thought what he did went beyond a food & travel show and was a global public servant as a result.

Anderson had a really hard time keeping it together tonight.

I’d add to this you have to like yourself. Not in a narcissistic way. But in a way that you can be satisfied with yourself. Krauthammer said this best today: “I lived my life as I intended”. He had reasons many of us can never know to be depressed and suicidal.

Uh, no. Ending my life has never crossed my mind even once. Why would you say that we all have?

I do agree that doing it has some selfishness involved.

I have never thought about ending my life either.

I disagree about the selfishness part. Some believe they are so worthless and burdensome to their families that they honestly believe they are doing the family a favor by taking themselves out of it. Generalizations about the reasons are difficult.

I agree 100%. Sometimes liking yourself is the most difficult thing. True story.

I’d add to this you have to like yourself. Not in a narcissistic way. But in a way that you can be satisfied with yourself. Krauthammer said this best today: “I lived my life as I intended”. He had reasons many of us can never know to be depressed and suicidal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT