sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Anthony Bourdain: Celebrity chef found dead at 61
o-ANTHONY-BOURDAIN-facebook.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44414747

US celebrity chef and television personality Anthony Bourdain has been found dead in his hotel room, aged 61, of a suspected suicide, CNN reports.
Bourdain was in Strasbourg, France, working on a shoot for his series, Parts Unknown, on CNN.
"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the cable network said in a statement on Friday.
So sad -- I always liked him. He always wore his emotion on his sleeve. He was always a very open-minded and curious traveller.

Kate Spade a couple of days ago and now Bourdain. It only shows that just because you are successful or rich doesnt mean that you cant suffer from depression. It might be even lonelier for rich folks as they won't have many empathetic ears as no expects them to be depressed.

Last edited:

So sad -- I always liked him. He always wore his emotion on his sleeve. He was always a very open-minded and curious traveller.

Kate Spade a couple of days ago and now Bourdain. It only shows that just because you are successful or rich doesnt mean that you cant suffer from depression. It might be even lonelier for rich folks as they won't have many empathetic ears as no expects them to be depressed.
I’ll miss him.

He was an original and brought good to lots of people, including me. Quite a loss. Sad, sad news.

You recognise a good traveller when you see one. He never judged and was always curious about the anthropology of food or cultural events/traditions.
Strong opinions but always a curious open mind. Engaging and entertaining. Genuinely interested in other cultures and other people.

A window on the world has closed.

This sounds similar to David Carradine’s hanging, probably a sex act gone wrong.

Strong opinions but always a curious open mind. Engaging and entertaining. Genuinely interested in other cultures and other people.

A window on the world has closed.
I am incredibly saddened by this morning's news. A unique man whom I will also miss tremendously. He was the Hemingway of food/travel hosts, even in the end. A gifted writer and storyteller who performed those works on his shows.

Damn. This sucks.

I can honestly say I have not watched a complete show of his. Probably saw part of 3 shows tops... sounds like you guys lost a true caliph for your cause

Reactions: Lucy01
This is incredibly sad. Tony provided some of my favorite TV moments and many of his episodes are on my all timer list. I’m also very sad that Eric Ripert was the person to find him. Ripert appeared to be a true best friend.

It might be even lonelier for rich folks as they won't have many empathetic ears as no expects them to be depressed.

Hard to have empathy for celebrities. They have what everyone wants. The guy literally got to travel the world to eat and make food and made plenty of money doing so.

It's certainly not fair, but I can't help but feel more empathy to the single mother than is trying to raise two kids while working two jobs and gets addicted to pain meds because of a chronic condition.

Suicide is on the rise in America particularly among those aged 45-65.
The suicide rate for Americans 45 to 64 has jumped more than 30 percent in the last decade, according to the new CDC report, and it’s possible to slice the data even more finely than they did. Among white, middle-aged men, the rate has jumped by more than 50 percent, according to a Newsweek analysis of the public data. If these guys were to create a breakaway territory, it would have the highest suicide rate in the world. In wealthy countries, suicide is the leading cause of death for men in their 40s, a top-five killer of men in their 50s, and the burden of suicide has increased by double digits in both groups since 1990.

The situation is even more dramatic for white, middle-aged women, who experienced a 60 percent rise in suicide in that same period, a shift accompanied by a comparable increase in emergency-room visits for drug-related (usually prescription-drug-related) attempts to die. In a sad twist, they often make a bid for death using the same medicine that was supposed to turn them back toward life. And the picture is equally grim for women in high-income countries, where self-harm trails only breast cancer as a killer of women in their early 40s—and has become the leading killer of women in their 30s. “In the middle of the journey of our life / I found myself in a dark wood,” begins Dante’s epic tour of hell. He wouldn’t have to change the line today.​
For those impacted by serious depression the sense of hopelessness overwhelms. But there are many treatments for depression that those who suffer from the illness might try. Behavioral therapies, changes in routine and lifestyle can help a great deal. There are many drugs that work wonders for some. But sometimes the therapy and drugs don't work. But there are other therapies that can be tried. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ect-is-shock-therapy-making-a-comeback/

We will see, When facts come out and they will, There is more to this story.

Hard to have empathy for celebrities. They have what everyone wants. The guy literally got to travel the world to eat and make food and made plenty of money doing so.

It's certainly not fair, but I can't help but feel more empathy to the single mother than is trying to raise two kids while working two jobs and gets addicted to pain meds because of a chronic condition.
You obviously know nothing of depression.

I think you missed my point. Life isn't about fame and money.

For those impacted by serious depression the sense of hopelessness overwhelms. But there are many treatments for depression that those who suffer from the illness might try. Behavioral therapies, changes in routine and lifestyle can help a great deal. There are many drugs that work wonders for some. But sometimes the therapy and drugs don't work. But there are other therapies that can be tried. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ect-is-shock-therapy-making-a-comeback/

Medical Assisted Treatment (MAT) tends to be the most effective means. To rely solely on counseling or medication is an issue. Luckily, treatment requirements are being pushed towards a combined effort instead of one or the other, as they have historically been.

To your point, many of the successful and wealthy people you hear about that seem happy (I suppose nobody truly knows) and last, tend to have some meditation element (relaxing, spiritual, religious, etc.) in their daily routine, even if it's only 10 minutes.

Most people know that point. Do you notice how many of these people have family issues and broken marriages?
Depression is a devastating chronic disease...it is extraordinarily hard on families and relationships. The family issues, broken marriages are symptomatic of those hardships.

I made the mistake of unblocking you to read this comment. All I can say is that this comment is very you. Take that in the spirit it’s intended.
I just don’t have this kind of reaction to anyone on television... just a little strange to me the cult following of celebrities.....mine is tied to people I actually know....he obviously was troubled beyond any viewer knew... take solace in having plenty of reruns to bath in over the weekend and months to come.

I just don’t have this kind of reaction to anyone on television... just a little strange to me the cult following of celebrities.....mine is tied to people I actually know....he obviously was troubled beyond any viewer knew... take solace in having plenty of reruns to bath in over the weekend and months to come.
Depression wasn’t the contributing factor in this death.

I too am alarmed why these suicide numbers are on the rise. I was thinking about this yesterday when I read the same story about the 30% rise. I hypothisized that maybe we’re so involved in our digital lives that we’ve ceased having enough meaningful relationships or the ability to reach out to friends when in need. Honestly I don’t know, but i fear this could become an epidemic and I’m sure at some point it will be someone I know and love. The best I can do is reach out to all my loved ones and let them know they’re loved. I’m sure it’s not that simple, but I think it’s the best I can do.

On a personal note, I’m now 44 and have had my own bouts with depression. Honestly not until I allowed myself to take anti-depressants did I start uncovering the layers of depression. I eat better now, exercise, and I’m a much better husband and father to my kids. I’ve literally almost entirely given up watching tv (except for when GOT is on). I feel more in touch with my life than ever before.

If anyone suffers from depression, just know there is help and if I could find it so can you. The most courageous step is literally looking your depression in the eye and not giving in. If anyone ever wants to talk I’m available 24/7.

You speak as though empathy is a zero-sum game. Your empathy for that single mother doesn't limit the empathy you can have for someone like Bourdain.

I too am alarmed why these suicide numbers are on the rise. I was thinking about this yesterday when I read the same story about the 30% rise. I hypothisized that maybe we’re so involved in our digital lives that we’ve ceased having enough meaningful relationships or the ability to reach out to friends when in need. Honestly I don’t know, but i fear this could become an epidemic and I’m sure at some point it will be someone I know and love. The best I can do is reach out to all my loved ones and let them know they’re loved. I’m sure it’s not that simple, but I think it’s the best I can do.

On a personal note, I’m now 44 and have had my own bouts with depression. Honestly not until I allowed myself to take anti-depressants did I start uncovering the layers of depression. I eat better now, exercise, and I’m a much better husband and father to my kids. I’ve literally almost entirely given up watching tv (except for when GOT is on). I feel more in touch with my life than ever before.

If anyone suffers from depression, just know there is help and if I could find it so can you. The most courageous step is literally looking your depression in the eye and not giving in. If anyone ever wants to talk I’m available 24/7.

Depression and bipolar disorder are incredibly powerful and devastating to so many Americans. The rise in suicide rates is alarming. Hopefully the good that can come from these more high-profile ones is that people will feel empowered to stop hiding their struggle with them and stop reacting in the way that people like Hoosier Hack do.

Depression and bipolar disorder are incredibly powerful and devastating to so many Americans. The rise in suicide rates is alarming. Hopefully the good that can come from these more high-profile ones is that people will feel empowered to stop hiding their struggle with them and stop reacting in the way that people like Hoosier Hack do.
I wonder how he killed himself without a gun in the room

It might be even lonelier for rich folks as they won't have many empathetic ears as no expects them to be depressed.

Sure, being able to travel the world or be financially set for life would likely be a wonderful and enjoyable thing for most, but depression distorts your perception of reality, so for folks like Bourdain his reality was likely far different than what we think it should be.

Sure, being able to travel the world or be financially set for life would likely be a wonderful and enjoyable thing for most, but depression distorts your perception of reality, so for folks like Bourdain his reality was likely far different than what we think it should be.
Plus the guy had substance abuse issues.

Plus the guy had substance abuse issues.
I don't know anything about Bourdain's personal life, but substance abuse is often a consequence of depression -- not a different issue, but the same issue. It's useless (and perhaps even harmful) to lecture a depressed person about their drinking, because what they're really doing is self-medicating. Or maybe just committing suicide slowly.

I don't know anything about Bourdain's personal life, but substance abuse is often a consequence of depression -- not a different issue, but the same issue. It's useless (and perhaps even harmful) to lecture a depressed person about their drinking, because what they're really doing is self-medicating. Or maybe just committing suicide slowly.

They call it dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorders. ~53% of those with SUD are dually diagnosed with mental health illness.

Here's a link to the study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2232018

The highest mental-addictive disorder comorbidity rate was found for those with drug (other than alcohol) disorders, among whom more than half (53%) were found to have a mental disorder with an odds ratio of 4.5.

What do you attribute the sharp rise in this to? Sugar? Lifestyle?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT