ADVERTISEMENT

Another Suit Against Masterpiece Cakeshop Dismissed

This guy is just a punching bag at this point. He didn't want to create a cake celebrating someone's gender transition so the same attorney from before filed a suit.

Ruling PDF Download
You know, just leave the dude alone. Find another baker to create the cake. It’s not as if there aren’t plenty around who would do it.

This shit drives me crazy.

If I understand it correctly, it was dismissed because it was brought to a federal court first instead of a Colorado appeals court. So, the issue is still undecided, and the justices in the minority hold that it's procedural and that he did violate the Colorado law.

You know, just leave the dude alone. Find another baker to create the cake. It’s not as if there aren’t plenty around who would do it.

This shit drives me crazy.
leaving him alone and getting your cake elsewhere would not be tolerant

tolerance requires he be brow-beaten by Jack-booted trans-lawyers into accepting their view, or suffer the consequences of having a rainbow star painted on his business windows so people know where NOT to shop, and posting a few Tolerance Enforcers outside to make sure “his kind” are shut down

This guy is just a punching bag at this point. He didn't want to create a cake celebrating someone's gender transition so the same attorney from before filed a suit.

Ruling PDF Download
His lawyers need to go on the offensive and sue the attorneys for vexatious litigation, etc. Must be some type of claim there.

CoH, go sign him up.

Ruling PDF Download
Did you read the ruling? This case dates back to an order that was refused back in 2017.

Agreed people should leave him alone, of course. I'm just saying it's possible they finally have, and it's just taking this long for the courts to catch up.

If I understand it correctly, it was dismissed because it was brought to a federal court first instead of a Colorado appeals court. So, the issue is still undecided, and the justices in the minority hold that it's procedural and that he did violate the Colorado law.
Can a state make a law that deprives a citizen of a right granted in the US Constitution?

Does a state law that compels a person to take actions which violate a "sincerely held religious belief" violate the US Constitution?

Even if the compelling is to satisfy the commerce desires of others? What if the others have alternatives and such state action is not "necessary" to uphold an alleged "compelling interest" in commerce? Or an interest in privacy-based rights such as same sex marriage or inter-racial marriage?

When 2 rights go walking, which one does the talking?

CoH, go sign him up.
@CO. Hoosier showing back up in court

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.gif

Can a state make a law that deprives a citizen of a right granted in the US Constitution?

Does a state law that compels a person to take actions which violate a "sincerely held religious belief" violate the US Constitution?

Even if the compelling is to satisfy the commerce desires of others? What if the others have alternatives and such state action is not "necessary" to uphold an alleged "compelling interest" in commerce? Or an interest in privacy-based rights such as same sex marriage or inter-racial marriage?

When 2 rights go walking, which one does the talking?
@mcmurtry66 now this is how you give a class. MTIOTF knows the answer to all these questions, but most posters on both sides of the political divide are going to get them wildly wrong.

Ruling PDF Download

It’s disgusting the way they keep going after this guy. What’s so hard to understand about “live and let live”?

Did you read the ruling? This case dates back to an order that was refused back in 2017.

Agreed people should leave him alone, of course. I'm just saying it's possible they finally have, and it's just taking this long for the courts to catch up.
Yeah, I read it. What's the filing date have to do with it?

The attorney allegedly said he's gonna keep suing to teach the guy a lesson. He's been at it for 12 years. I wonder what the next suit will be about?

The government can't compel an artist to express a particular message.

From the press release:
On the same day the U.S. Supreme Court announced it would hear Phillips’ first case—in which he prevailed in 2018 after Colorado tried to force him to create a custom cake celebrating a same-sex wedding—an attorney called Masterpiece Cakeshop requesting that Phillips create a custom cake that would symbolize and celebrate a gender transition. The attorney then called again to request another custom cake, one depicting Satan smoking marijuana, to “correct the errors of [Phillips’] thinking.”

Just bake the ****ing cake. Amirite?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT