ADVERTISEMENT

Another retailer leaving SF

Indianaftw

All-American
Jul 26, 2017
That makes 18 mostly due to crime. Cue Ghost town by the Specials. We were just talking about San Fran the other night. Probably the most beautiful city on the west coast and now nobody wants to go anymore. Sad.

Nordstrom is closing both of its stores in downtown San Francisco, citing the changing “dynamics” of the area that hasn’t recovered since the pandemic and has been in the spotlight for crime.

BTW I noticed the monument in the Union square pic in the article and did a double take. I think thats the same statue of Victory thats on the Indianapolis circle monument.

I think a former poster on this board said it best.

There is so much to love about SF. First of all, it might be my favorite climate in the world, 55-75 year round is my kind of living. My Finnish blood will not tolerate anything higher than that. Architecturally it's so awesomely eclectic and visually the rolling hills make for some ridiculously cool sight lines. And of course the best food city in the U.S. if you got some money to spend.

I even love the hippie aspects, going to Dolores park and sparking a joint while you look out over the city is great. I like to contrast that by playing golf at some of the best golf courses in the world.

My last two companies have been HQ'd there. Last time there, I was on my way to the office at 7 AM. I passed two homeless gentlemen, one was reaching into the trash bin and throwing it onto the sidewalk for some reason I could not discern, the other was sitting on the curb injecting heroin in between his toes. This was in the financial district mind you..... at 7 AM.

I wish they would get their act together because it might be my favorite city in the world otherwise.

We're out here visiting my father in law. It was all over the news yesterday. Seems like there were generally 2 broad brush stroke takes:

1. Crime is out of control and this shouldn't surprise anyone
2. Corporate greed is the reason these companies are leaving instead of being part of the community.

The other thing all over the news was another Alameda county prosecutor quitting due to the DA being more concerned about social justice than actually prosecuting crimes.

Last edited:
We're out here visiting my father in law. It was all over the news yesterday. Seems like there were generally 2 broad brush stroke takes:

2. Corporate greed is the reason these companies are leaving instead of being part of the community.

The other thing all over the news was another Alameda county prosecutor quitting due to the DA being more concerned about social justice than actually prosecuting crimes.

the homeless and mentally ill on the streets is fixable, but would cost money.

anything that costs money other than war is off the table for Pubs.

and homelessness and the mentally ill on the streets Pubs don't want fixed, just like they don't want immigration fixed, as Pubs see all those benefitting them politically.

as for not doing something about real criminals, that's something brain dead Dems need to address, and it kills them politically more than anything.

as for the fentanyl/heroin crisis, that will require waging war on Mexican gangs.

not the "war on drugs" police action.

real war, using the military and literally everything the military can throw at them.

and don't give the Mexican govt a choice in the matter.

start yesterday.

and homelessness and the mentally ill on the streets Pubs don't want fixed, just like they don't want immigration fixed, as Pubs see all those benefitting them politically.

as for not doing something about real criminals, that's something brain dead Dems need to address, and it kills them politically more than anything.

as for the fentanyl/heroin crisis, that will require waging war on Mexican gangs.

real war, using the military and literally everything the military can throw at them.

start yesterday.
I don't really think the "pubs" are calling too many shots out here in the Bay Area.

Good to know that you support a military incursion into a sovereign country though, even you agree with them pubs on war when it suits you.

Seek help and show the pubs they can't keep you down!

start yesterday.
Yes it’s all the Pubs fault. The Dems hold every major office in California and have for decades but it’s all the Pubs fault. Makes perfect sense. Please tell Mark and Hickory to move out of the way and hand you their trophy. You earned it pal.

I don't really think the "pubs" are calling too many shots out here in the Bay Area.

Good to know that you support a military incursion into a sovereign country though, even you agree with them pubs on war when it suits you.

Ronald Reagan closed down California's mental hospitals in 67 while Gov of the state, and threw the mentally ill out on the streets. (what could possibly go wrong).

Pubs nationwide did the same.

as for said military incursion, when the US is being attacked from inside another country killing 10s of thousands Americans yearly, that's war being waged on the US, at which point that's the whole point of having a military to protect the country.

i wouldn't pull any punches. shock and awe overwhelming military dominance using everything we have.

no f'ing around.

XpJnP8w.gif

I saw the video you posted. 3 other prosecutors quit as well. uggghhh

I saw the video you posted. 3 other prosecutors quit as well. uggghhh
Yeah, it's a sad story too with a toddler being shot and killed as part of it.

There's another dust up now with a security guard at a drugstore who shot a guy that shoplifting. Sounds like the shoplifting turned into a violent confrontation and the guard shot the thief. Prosecutors aren't going to charge the guard and some people are up in arms over it.

It's crazy how divided we are over some of these things.

You're seeing some communities attempt to self police in attempt to get things under control

FiL watches the local news religiously, so we're seeing or hearing all of it. It's been an interesting week. Getting on a plane tonight and going home, so I'll be away from it until later this summer when we come back.

There's another dust up now with a security guard at a drugstore who shot a guy that shoplifting. Sounds like the shoplifting turned into a violent confrontation and the guard shot the thief. Prosecutors aren't going to charge the guard and some people are up in arms over it.

You're seeing some communities attempt to self police in attempt to get things under control

FiL watches the local news religiously, so we're seeing or hearing all of it. It's been an interesting week. Getting on a plane tonight and going home, so I'll be away from it until later this summer when we come back.
Remember the guardian angels. We need that. We had another shooting on the metro link

Seek help and show the pubs they can't keep you down!
Just for an interesting topic of conversation, what if Mexico agreed to a joint exercise with the U.S. military? Would that even be possible under Mexican law?

As for Mexico itself, I do some work there (none of which requires that I actually go to Mexico). As a result, I receive frequent updates from Mexican counsel on all sorts of issues (most of which have nothing to do with my practice). One of the things that stands out are the myriad of changes being made in Mexican laws and regulations, many regarding the same sorts of issues being debated and addressed in the U.S. The dichotomy between Mexico city and many of the border towns could not be greater.

Then again, Mexico recently raised its minimum wage to $207.44 pesos (US$11.59) or $312.41 pesos (US$17.46) in the Northern Border Free Zone. These were 20% increases over the previous rate. Important note, however: these minimum wages are per day.

That makes 18 mostly due to crime. Cue Ghost town by the Specials. We were just talking about San Fran the other night. Probably the most beautiful city on the west coast and now nobody wants to go anymore. Sad.

Nordstrom is closing both of its stores in downtown San Francisco, citing the changing “dynamics” of the area that hasn’t recovered since the pandemic and has been in the spotlight for crime.

BTW I noticed the monument in the Union square pic in the article and did a double take. I think thats the same statue of Victory thats on the Indianapolis circle monument.

Nordstrom closed their operations in Canada in March. It’s about retail brick and mortar not feasible in todays world. not crime. Many are predicting bankruptcy soon.

Reactions: UncleMark
Nordstrom closed their operations in Canada in March. It’s about retail brick and mortar not feasible in todays world. not crime. Many are predicting bankruptcy soon.

The quote was from the article not my own. Several retailers have listed crime as one of the reasons in San Fran. Hell the cnn crew that went there to do an article on crime got robbed twice and the 2nd time had a security crew watching the van.

The quote was from the article not my own. Several retailers have listed crime as one of the reasons in San Fran. Hell the cnn crew that went there to do an article on crime got robbed twice and the 2nd time had a security crew watching the van.
You knew it was bad when people started leaving their trunks wide open and the doors unlocked so that the burglars wouldn’t break the windows.

Reactions: DANC and Indianaftw

Closing stores with insufficient traffic (customer demand) to make money is basic business strategy, greed indeed.

“corporate greed”… predictable response.

1. Businesses operating at a loss are not desirable
2. Operating a business at a loss solely to have a presence in said area is not desirable if said area becomes a shithole.

It’s like the community leaders complaining about Walmart stores closing in Chicago. Meanwhile the stores have been in the red for years, been destroyed multiple times, had a fire started in a store destroying almost 100% of inventory, shootings in several stores, unbelievable theft levels, and general violence/fights literally every single week.

Time to stop smelling your own farts and pull your heads out thine ass people.

That’s not right. Yes brick and mortar is struggling, particularly in big cities, but this problem isn’t a Nordstrom one and is a San Fran one.

Retail sales have fallen steeper in San Francisco than any other county in California, said Ted Egan, the city’s chief economist

That has added to a projected budget shortfall over the next two years of $780 million, or 6% of the total general fund revenues. Mayor London Breed has asked city department heads to prepare for cuts of up to 13% over the next two years to cope with the shortfall and other economic risks

The mall’s owner, Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield, said it engaged with city leaders for years to express concerns about issues, including what it described as rampant criminal activity.

“A growing number of retailers and businesses are leaving the area due to the unsafe conditions for customers, retailers, and employees, coupled with the fact that these significant issues are preventing an economic recovery of the area,” URW said in a statement

2. Operating a business at a loss solely to have a presence in said area is not desirable if said area becomes a shithole.

It’s like the community leaders complaining about Walmart stores closing in Chicago. Meanwhile the stores have been in the red for years, been destroyed multiple times, had a fire started in a store destroying almost 100% of inventory, shootings in several stores, unbelievable theft levels, and general violence/fights literally every single week.

Why don’t they understand this? It’s just any excuse. And they aren’t helping anyone.

Wait - there's crime in Chicago? News to some posters here.

Reactions: 76-1
God hates the Left. This is our opportunity for the left coast to slide off into the water, Just as Moses intended.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

And it is spreading. I have no use for what gets labeled as a "progressive" in the U.S. If this type of stuff is representative of the utopia they have planned for us....

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Remember the guardian angels. We need that. We had another shooting on the metro link
Look what is happening in Haiti with the breakdown in law there. Criminal Justice systems protect criminals and those suspected of being criminals from the populace at large too. (If you are unfamiliar with the story, a bunch of suspected gang members got got by a crowd of pissed off people and ended up with a flaming tire necklace as their last piece of stolen jewelry.)

Vacuums are always filled.

Just for an interesting topic of conversation, what if Mexico agreed to a joint exercise with the U.S. military? Would that even be possible under Mexican law?
I've though about this way more than I should. It's probably a terrible idea. We'd just create a bunch of terrorists that wouldn't even need to cross a large ocean to hit us. They'd just have to walk across our incredibly soft southern border.

Probably best to just legalize all drugs and take away their manufacturing/production/distribution base.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
People feeling safe and secure in cities is a fundamental requirement. These far left policies that run counter to this very premise will lead to urban doom and decay. It doesn’t have to be this way. Seeing world class cities like SF slide like this is really heartbreaking.

We need leaders who look at policies and ask “then what?” Denigrate cops, let the homeless and drug addicted run amok, crap on law abiding wealthier residents. And then what? Well we are seeing it in SF and they will be more I fear.

People feeling safe and secure in cities is a fundamental requirement. These far left policies that run counter to this very premise will lead to urban doom and decay. It doesn’t have to be this way. Seeing world class cities like SF slide like this is really heartbreaking.

We need leaders who look at policies and ask “then what?” Denigrate cops, let the homeless and drug addicted run amok, crap on law abiding wealthier residents. And then what? Well we are seeing it in SF and they will be more I fear.
Here’s a proposal.

I've though about this way more than I should. It's probably a terrible idea. We'd just create a bunch of terrorists that wouldn't even need to cross a large ocean to hit us. They'd just have to walk across our incredibly soft southern border.

Probably best to just legalize all drugs and take away their manufacturing/production/distribution base.
That's worked so well in San Francisco

We need a safe and vibrant San Francisco. Great safe cities is part of what makes America great.

It’s telling to me that San Francisco has become so unsafe and drug infested that businesses are skedaddling. while the municipal government focuses on reparations, gender confusion, and safe drug use. Solving the crime/drug/safety issues takes high level thinking and problem solving skills—cerebral thinking. . Thinking about reparations, homelessness, crime, and drug use mostly takes emotions. San Francisco, as well as other big cities, are operated by emotional thinkers who, for a number of reasons, can’t or won’t solve problems. Probably because they don’t see problems as problems. They only have feelings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT