ADVERTISEMENT

Another reason this Pandemic sucks

I'll cheat. Top three - Bench, Morgan, Rose. Larkin had more natural talent than Rose but nobody got more out of what God gave him than Rose.
I agree with Bench being the best, and Rose has to be up there too. The Reds have had some great players over the years.

I am just more positive, the Reds will be undefeated in April. That is a great start.

I saw the Reds had an online tournament to declare the greatest Red of all time. These things always skew young, more people alive have seen a Joey Votto play than Big Klu. That said, Bench beat Larkin in the finals. I certainly agree with Bench, I am not positive if I would have had Barry #2.

Any other fans want to pick their favorite team's top 2? Or disagree/agree with Bench-Larkin

I think the hardest hit ball I ever saw was a big Klu homer while in a White Sox uniform. A line drive off the right field railing that almost bounced back to the infield. I also saw Sammy Sosa hit a monster at Coors Field, but that doesn’t count.

I think the hardest hit ball I ever saw was a big Klu homer while in a White Sox uniform. A line drive off the right field railing that almost bounced back to the infield. I also saw Sammy Sosa hit a monster at Coors Field, but that doesn’t count.

I hate what Bonds, McGwire and Sosa, among others, did to the game. Further, I hate that the whole steroid debacle wasn't beaten down early on by the PTB. It was a mockery. Rail all you want about Rose and his gambling but the steroid era nearly ruined the game.

Went to a game at GABP and sat about 12 rows up from the Giants' dugout along the third base side. Barry Bonds' head looked to be about twice the normal size of a human head.

I hate what Bonds, McGwire and Sosa, among others, did to the game. Further, I hate that the whole steroid debacle wasn't beaten down early on by the PTB. It was a mockery. Rail all you want about Rose and his gambling but the steroid era nearly ruined the game.

Went to a game at GABP and sat about 12 rows up from the Giants' dugout along the third base side. Barry Bonds' head looked to be about twice the normal size of a human head.
I've always wondered about the head thing. How do steroids make a person's head bigger? McGuire's head didn't get bigger, did it? Bonds was a great player already so I don't understand why he would think he needed to use steroids. He was going to be a Hall of Famer regardless.

If Rose never bet against the Reds, I don't have a real problem with him being in the Hall of Fame. The guy clearly wanted to win every game he played and managed as far as I can tell.

Reactions: Univee2
He certainly tailed off after his record breaking start, but I think he's got a great chance to be a very good player for the Reds.

It's a crowded outfield this year. Pitchers figured out Aquino and now he has to learn how to adjust. He's got the talent. Now, he needs to bring in the head.

The game in which he hit three HRs in his first three ABs was recently replayed. I had forgotten how bat-shit crazy the broadcasters and the dugout got as the game progressed.

I've always wondered about the head thing. How do steroids make a person's head bigger? McGuire's head didn't get bigger, did it? Bonds was a great player already so I don't understand why he would think he needed to use steroids. He was going to be a Hall of Famer regardless.

If Rose never bet against the Reds, I don't have a real problem with him being in the Hall of Fame. The guy clearly wanted to win every game he played and managed as far as I can tell.

No idea how the head growth was so pronounced with Bonds and not so much with others. You could really see when you compared him to his pictures as a Pirate.

I don't think Rose ever bet against the Reds. Put him in the Hall.

We went to Detroit to see McGuire in an interleague game. We sat right inside the left field foul pole. He hit a line shot 10 foul, 20 rows up. A big guy, looked like he had just stepped out of the Marines, got his bare hand on it. I saw him the rest of the game shaking out that hand. He hit one homer, and a couple other foul balls at home run depth. All were screaming shots. I missed the old Dave Kingman towering shot.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I am just more positive, the Reds will be undefeated in April. That is a great start.

I saw the Reds had an online tournament to declare the greatest Red of all time. These things always skew young, more people alive have seen a Joey Votto play than Big Klu. That said, Bench beat Larkin in the finals. I certainly agree with Bench, I am not positive if I would have had Barry #2.

Any other fans want to pick their favorite team's top 2? Or disagree/agree with Bench-Larkin
Bench. Ain't close.

Well, yes it is. Pete Rose was great too. As was Tony Perez. Joe Morgan. Dave Conception. Those were the days.

I will miss baseball this year. This sucks. I really like going to Indians games, and my kids and I always try to take in a Reds game at least once a season. And I'll miss it being on my tv each night. Damn.

Just finished a book so decided to read David Halberstam's October 1964 which I have heard over the years is a very good baseball book. Though it's primarily about the Yankees and the (detestable) Cardinals as long as it spends a good deal of time on Bob Gibson, in my list of five all-time favorite players, then it will be palatable. Gibson was/is the best pitcher I've ever seen. It still astounds me that in '68 his ERA was 1.12, he completed 28 games and threw 13 shutouts. Without looking it up I doubt there were 28 CGs and 13 Shutouts in the entire National League in 2019. And he coulda/shoulda been a Hoosier.
13 shutouts in one season. That’s just crazy. We can probably safely say that will never happen again. In terms of complete games, Randy Johnson was the last pitcher to get into double-figures (with 12) in 1999. Of those, 2 were shutouts and he won the first of 4 (in a row) Cy Young Awards.

Last season, in the MLB, there were 45 complete games thrown (20 NL) and 26 shutouts (11 NL), so yes you are correct!

I think it is the difference between steroids and human growth hormone. I’m no expert but I think that is where the head difference comes in

I'm a Braves fan so:
Aaron, Mathews (batters)
Smoltz, Spahn (pitchers)

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
My dad played semi-pro in Chicago. He had a turn at bat against Satchel Paige on a barnstorming tour. Said he never saw the ball, but managed a foul tip.

When the Kansas City Monarchs came to town they would let local kids practice with them in order to boost ticket sales for the game later that night.

Satchel Paige threw the ball from the mound to my cousin (age 10) on third base as if to catch a runner off base. Paige just casually flipped the ball with little effort but it tore the webbing out of my cousin's glove.

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

Get Sope in here and he'll tell you some Braves' stories. If I recall, his grandfather drove the team bus back in the day.
That is great.
I bet he would be a great guy to listen to tell stories.

I'm a Braves fan so:
Aaron, Mathews (batters)
Smoltz, Spahn (pitchers)

We had a discussion here a couple of years ago about pitchers' durability. Now, 200 innings is quite an "accomplishment." I brought up Spahn's career. Look at all the years he threw over 250 innings, with 9 years over 275. You'd think a guy's arm would fall off today if he got close to that. Spahn had 382 CGs .....

Bench. Ain't close.

Well, yes it is. Pete Rose was great too. As was Tony Perez. Joe Morgan. Dave Conception. Those were the days.

I will miss baseball this year. This sucks. I really like going to Indians games, and my kids and I always try to take in a Reds game at least once a season. And I'll miss it being on my tv each night. Damn.

Don't forget George, listened to a few Dodger fans cussin' away at that black bat. The Reds were just stacked with talent.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Off topic, but I just discovered today that the Masters has put every final round from 1968-2019 in its entirety up on their YouTube channel.

I’m currently watching Jack run down Greg Norman and Seve in ‘86. And I’m enjoying it immensely.

Those should be on The Golf Channel.

Reactions: Spartans9312
We had a discussion here a couple of years ago about pitchers' durability. Now, 200 innings is quite an "accomplishment." I brought up Spahn's career. Look at all the years he threw over 250 innings, with 9 years over 275. You'd think a guy's arm would fall off today if he got close to that. Spahn had 382 CGs .....
I despise the way pitchers are managed in today's game.
They don't even get the opportunity to prove they can't get thru a lineup 3 times.
And the 100 pitch "limit" is also outlandish

And how many more arm injuries are there today?
It seems to be a lot more.
I contribute it to not letting them throw enough innings in the minor leagues.
Also a lot of kids are done a disservice by their parents while they are still maturing.
Sport specialization instead of letting them play multiple sports and letting their arms rest.

It seems to be a lot more.
I contribute it to not letting them throw enough innings in the minor leagues.
Also a lot of kids are done a disservice by their parents while they are still maturing.
Sport specialization instead of letting them play multiple sports and letting their arms rest.

Yep. I think that's all true.

2 - Bench
3 - Perez
4 - Morgan
5 - Rose
6 - Concepcion
7 - Foster
8 - Geronimo
9 - Griffey

Now, that's a line-up......

In 72, I had my photo taken with Dennis Menke on picture day. In 73, it was Concepcion. Menke was traded back to Houston a year after the photo, Concepcion broke his leg a few weeks after the picture. Never again will I take a picture with a Red. But there are a lot of Cubs I would like to get a photo with.

A Red who could have been up there was Eric Davis. He was a real Ferrari. The catch was that he had to be In the shop as often as a Ferrari.

Last edited:
Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

Get Sope in here and he'll tell you some Braves' stories. If I recall, his grandfather drove the team bus back in the day.
Yeaaaahhhhh . . . my dad was the airplane pilot for the management of the Milwaukee Braves back in the late 50s. Joined just in time to catch the '58 World Series between the Braves and the Yankees . . . the Braves had won in '57 and lost the rematch in '58 . . . I was 3 at the time. I've been a Braves fan ever since then.

I think I learned to read by getting up every morning to read the box scores in the paper from the previous day's games; I wanted to keep track of Hank Aaron's home runs for the game and the season. For a lot of years there wasn't much else to look forward to, being a Braves fan. When Hank retired the habit continued following Dale Murphy's home runs . . . .

Highlight of being a Braves fan came for me in 1995 when I had a front row seat right behind the Braves' dugout for Tommy Glavine's one-hit gem and David Justice's home run to close out the Indians in 6 games . . . .

Yeaaaahhhhh . . . my dad was the airplane pilot for the management of the Milwaukee Braves back in the late 50s. Joined just in time to catch the '58 World Series between the Braves and the Yankees . . . the Braves had won in '57 and lost the rematch in '58 . . . I was 3 at the time. I've been a Braves fan ever since then.

I think I learned to read by getting up every morning to read the box scores in the paper from the previous day's games; I wanted to keep track of Hank Aaron's home runs for the game and the season. For a lot of years there wasn't much else to look forward to, being a Braves fan. When Hank retired the habit continued following Dale Murphy's home runs . . . .

Highlight of being a Braves fan came for me in 1995 when I had a front row seat right behind the Braves' dugout for Tommy Glavine's one-hit gem and David Justice's home run to close out the Indians in 6 games . . . .

Oh, well.

Grandfather, Father. Bus, Plane.

I was close .......

Oh, well.

Grandfather, Father. Bus, Plane.

I was close .......
You must think of me as much younger than I am. :)

BTW, my dad used to say that being a pilot was like being a glorified taxi, bus or truck driver, depending on what you were carrying in the back of the plane. You're good . . . .

Reactions: Univee2
You must think of me as much younger than I am. :)

BTW, my dad used to say that being a pilot was like being a glorified taxi, bus or truck driver, depending on what you were carrying in the back of the plane. You're good . . . .

"Kiiiiiid, have you rehabilitated yourself?"

MLB might have a plan to save the season, and it is weird. Basically, all 30 teams would play the entire season in empty stadiums in Arizona. They'd spend their time in isolation in hotels, being shuttled to and from the stadiums, where they would sit in the empty stands instead of the dugouts - six feet apart, of course - and make use of an electronic umpire (something was bound to let that genie loose eventually)...and so much more.

Read here: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

Drastic times call for drastic measures. I wonder if they will pump in crowd noise? It might seem awful sterile without it.

I suspect most players will take the money over being away from families nut I would expect pushback from some players.

Yes and no. Was just talking about this with my son, who is a baseball player. He is desperate to go out to a park and throw long toss, which is a primary developer of arm strength, with one of his teammates. Even though the closest they would get to each other is 15 feet (and at max they would be over 250 feet apart), there's the thing of the ball traveling between them and any virus that could travel on that between hands. Obviously, caution is the name of the game right now and I'm not sure we have the confidence yet to understand transmission really well. Are catchers more at risk because they are within a foot or two of every batter on the opposing team? Is "going to the mouth" forbidden in any way? I'm sure it can all be worked out, but I'm not sure it will be worked out all that more quickly than the NBA and NFL.
Do you live in Indiana? What age is your son?

Do you live in Indiana? What age is your son?

I miss Indiana. Haven't lived there in a long time and don't get back as much as I would like. We're out in Los Angeles. And my son is a high schooler. Do you have a player, too?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT