ADVERTISEMENT

Another reason this Pandemic sucks

I miss Indiana. Haven't lived there in a long time and don't get back as much as I would like. We're out in Los Angeles. And my son is a high schooler. Do you have a player, too?
Yes, he is a soph in HS and plays on one of the strong summer teams. Def missing baseball right now.

Reactions: hoosboot
Yes, he is a soph in HS and plays on one of the strong summer teams. Def missing baseball right now.

In Indiana? That's awesome. Did he get any games in before things were shut down? We start early out here, but he still only got about 1/3 of the season in. We're in the middle of the city, so we don't have a huge yard and my guys wants to throw long toss down the middle of our street. While he can throw darts pretty accurately out a couple of hundred feet, I'm more wild and can't get anywhere near as long as he can, so it's broken car windows if I throw with him. He's come up with a bunch of different drills to try to stay sharp, but having the HS season cut short was a killer, especially since he had a great start to the year. Travel baseball is a family lifestyle, isn't it?

Reactions: IUJIM
In Indiana? That's awesome. Did he get any games in before things were shut down? We start early out here, but he still only got about 1/3 of the season in. We're in the middle of the city, so we don't have a huge yard and my guys wants to throw long toss down the middle of our street. While he can throw darts pretty accurately out a couple of hundred feet, I'm more wild and can't get anywhere near as long as he can, so it's broken car windows if I throw with him. He's come up with a bunch of different drills to try to stay sharp, but having the HS season cut short was a killer, especially since he had a great start to the year. Travel baseball is a family lifestyle, isn't it?
The Indiana season was done before it started. His first game would have been this past Saturday. And yes, travel baseball is awesome. I know many people find baseball boring, but for us, there is nothing like spending our weekends on the road watching him play. Oh well, at least he is only a Soph. I feel really bad for the Seniors. Tough way to end you HS playing career.

The Indiana season was done before it started. His first game would have been this past Saturday. And yes, travel baseball is awesome. I know many people find baseball boring, but for us, there is nothing like spending our weekends on the road watching him play. Oh well, at least he is only a Soph. I feel really bad for the Seniors. Tough way to end you HS playing career.

Agree. Family trips to baseball tournaments has been a way of life for a long time for us! And I am with you in feeling horribly for this year's Seniors...both in and out of sports and in high school or college. This semester should be one of the most wonderful set of memories that they have and a lot of that is being taken away, so we're trying to do something special for the Seniors on his HS team as a small gesture to honor them. I know it's not the most important aspect of all of this, but this whole situation is likely to be one of the most prominent things to shape this generation of kids.

Reactions: IUJIM
Agree. Family trips to baseball tournaments has been a way of life for a long time for us! And I am with you in feeling horribly for this year's Seniors...both in and out of sports and in high school or college. This semester should be one of the most wonderful set of memories that they have and a lot of that is being taken away, so we're trying to do something special for the Seniors on his HS team as a small gesture to honor them. I know it's not the most important aspect of all of this, but this whole situation is likely to be one of the most prominent things to shape this generation of kids.

Years ago I was one of the official scorers for a high-school summer league. A lot of good players. I remember two pitchers in particular who were outstanding. One threw junk with some heat and the other threw heat and more heat. Neither hardly gave up any runs. Any scouts sniffing around your league?

Have you seen the movie “Trouble with the Curve”? A real feel good youth baseball movie. Of course all baseball movies are feel good movies.

You have some really nice baseball leagues in LA area.... Riverside, San Berdo.... I went to high school in Redlands... I don’t know how you stomach being out there. I missed Indiana too much

Reactions: 76-1
The only thing that matters to me in the NL Central is that the Cubs don't win. If that means Reds do, I'm all in. Cards seem to be perpetual over achievers. Don't know how they do it year in and year out.

Cardinals have been my team since early childhood. We had no TV when I was young. Fell asleep listening to Cardinals on my transistor most spring and summer nights.

Our summer vacation if we were lucky was a weekend trip to St Louis.

Catch most of their games now on Fox Midwest.

Reactions: Digressions
I'll cheat. Top three - Bench, Morgan, Rose. Larkin had more natural talent than Rose but nobody got more out of what God gave him than Rose.
I saw Bench, Morgan and Rose all three play several times. Does that count for my best two? Best catcher who ever played and the best hitter ever?
Saw Satch pitch in an exhibition in Indianapolis. No one could touch him - think he was 64 years old then.

Herb Score in AAA? Roger Maris in AAA?

CBS Sports listed their all-time Reds team. The fact Rose played so many positions does give a lot of flexibility.

1. Pete, 3B
  2. Morgan, 2B
  3. Votto, 1B
  4. Frank, RF
  5. Foster, LF
  6. Bench, C
  7. ED, CF
  8. Larkin, SS
SP: Seaver, Rijo, Jim M, Lefty
RP: Dibble

The author was an IU baseball player. You can see his reasoning for each at:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...y-pete-rose-johnny-bench-joe-morgan-and-more/
I don't care what the stats say, no Tony Perez in the line up is sacrilege. That guy was the foundation for the rest of the BRM. He made the team possible . . . an indispensable cog. The RBI machine on the BRM. Compare his RBIs to Votto's . . . .

No disrespect to Votto intended; but I couldn't pick him out of a police line up if he was the only one with a Reds uniform on.

Larkin I can definitely see even as good as Concepcion was, and certainly Frank in RF even if the alternative is Grif SR.

Ed Davis in CF? Maybe, but I gotta ask: is he injured today?

To make up for my intransigence, here's a link where you can find Brad Paisley's new single, a reworked version of No I In Beer. Take one for the team . . . after 5 pm.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/04/17/country-star-brad-paisley-new-song-no-i-in-beer/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT