ADVERTISEMENT

an update on my move...

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
a couple of weeks ago I posted something about my wife accepting a job at Ohio University and our forthcoming move to Ohio. Thanks again to all of you who weighed in, offered well-wishes and prayed for us. We really appreciate it.

At the end of the day, we settled on moving to Athens, Ohio as opposed to buying a great house we found in Bexley, Ohio. We looked at the possibility of living in the Columbus area from every angle and the commute just didn't make sense. It's an hour and change in perfect weather with no construction and no traffic. Honestly I think I could put up with a commute like that, but it just seemed like a stretch to ask my wife to do that. You could tell the idea of it wore on her. Living in Athens a long commute would be 15 minutes and we're likely going to live closer to her office than that. I just got approval from my current position to continue my job remotely...which removes the stress of having to find something new.

Athens is what it is: a neat little college town. We talked to a lot of people who have moved there for a job at the university and we heard a lot about the pluses and minuses. A big plus for me is that even though I'm fully expecting a culture shock for my kids coming from the Bethesda/DC area, it might be muted a bit because there are so many people from so many other places. Throughout this whole process I've talked to professors, administrators, staff and coaches from all over...none of them seemed to actually be from Athens, but seem to really enjoy it. The university really will be able to offer our family a lot and I'm guessing we'll lean on that heavily.

The thing we'll have to get used to is more or less losing our anonymity. We have a pretty good community here in Bethesda, but there are times when we can go out and not be seen. Almost everyone we talked to mentioned that they run into people they know every time the leave the house. I guess on one hand that's sort of comforting. On the other, it'll be an adjustment to feel like everyone is in our business.

My kids have also been troopers through this. They were able to shadow a student in the class they'll be joining in January last Tuesday and both came away somewhat excited about going to school there. They're both still apprehensive about the move, but at least they now have a frame of reference. My son, who is somewhat introverted, it a little nervous because they were going over division in the class he sat in and his current class is still covering multiplication. Having said that, I'm sure they'll be tears, but all in all I think they'll be fine.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Bloomington will be a relatively easy car ride again for me (4 or so hours if I recall correctly), so maybe I'll catch some of you at a football/basketball game sometime.

.."losing our anonymity"...

Are you some kind of celebrity in your real life?

ha...I wondered how to word that...

rest assured I'm not any type of celebrity. What I was trying to get at is that being born and raised is a small Midwest town, I definitely see pluses and minuses to both sides of the coin of knowing everyone in town.

I don't think I weighed in...

...And I don't know how much time you've spent in Athens, but now that you've made your decision, I can offer this irrelevant piece of friendly advice: you'll love it. For such a small town, there is so much to do. It's kind of like a miniature version of Bloomington.

Plus, if you walk around downtown enough, you WILL get in shape.

goat

thanks...that's kind of what we were thinking too...

like I said before, we've looked at this from every angle, and we really think we'll like Athens overall. We won't be far from downtown (but far enough to avoid all the craziness the Halloween and other student parties bring), so in lieu of my commute, I'm going to try to run most days in the morning. We were driving around there last week and I saw some of the hills....I'll have my work cut out for me.

We also feel like if we get really bored, we can drive up to Columbus on a random Saturday or Sunday. There's also a lot of really good hiking to be done.

One other thing I found funny: One of the guys I talked to said that one of things he didn't realize he'd love so much is how few shopping opportunities there are. He moved from Raleigh and he said his wife drove by stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond or Pier One there and come out with $100 worth of crap they didn't really need. Since there aren't really any stores like that in Athens, he said it's almost like forced savings, which he loves. Without pointing fingers, I'll just say that I can relate
wink.r191677.gif

I know exactly what you mean

It's why I can never live in a smaller city than a Tier 2.

This post was edited on 12/2 8:26 AM by mjvcaj

Tell your son if he knows multiplication

He knows division. They'll show him all you have to do is learn the facts family and he'll be fine! Sorry...it's the teacher in me.

thanks for the update.

we will need future updates at 3 months, 6 months, and 1 yr. (and yes, it's mandatory).

that's pretty helpful actually...

we've been working with him as math isn't his strongest subject to begin with. I know he'll be fine in the long run, but I can tell it's stressing him out. He talked about them doing long division with remainders like they're going to ask him to solve complex rocket science.

Talk about a small world!

Not to be a creep, but I know exactly who you are (thanks Facebook!). Your wife is a good lady, even if she roots for the enemy
wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/2 8:27 AM by mjvcaj

it's not creepy only if I know who you are too...

you can shoot me an email in my signature below. Curiosity had gotten the better of me...do you know her from her time working at IU?

Heck, we all knew who he was long ago

It's right there in his signature line!
wink.r191677.gif

Ha

I turned signatures off long ago. For all I know, most of the Cooler has email addresses available.

I will send you an email later tonight

About to hop on a plane to Toronto (not excited about heading there for the first time in winter).

No one else needs to read this...teacher stuff

And boring unless you are trying to teach your child. I taught both addition and subtraction and then multiplication and division together. I'd draw a little house and tell them the fact families all lived in the same house. No other numbers could live in that house. So if the house or fact family is 6, 8, 48. You know that 6x8 is 48. When you divide, you see 48 divided by 6. Who is the missing family member ? 8..... An east, visual way to show them how they are related and if they know one it just takes a second of thinking to know the other.
Long division however.....watch out! ;-)

Adding to Zeke4ahs

If your son is having trouble with long division, it's probably because he's smart. I'd tell him that. Long division is what's called an algorithm, but don't tell him that. I doubt anyone here is smart enough to have invented it, so it's weird that it works. Your son is smart enough to be confused by that, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, I taught my pupils and my children real-world math. Keep it real. Multiplication is just a fancy word for times. Say you drink a glass of milk at every meal. If you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, that's three meals. Three meals times one glass each meal is three glasses a day. Three times one equals 3. How many glasses a week? A week is seven days, so that's times seven.

Division is a fancy word for sharing or breaking into pieces, or groups, or teams, or whatever. Say you have 30 pupils in a class and you want to break it into three teams. The teacher lines all the kids up and starting at one end they go "1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,...." Now you're either in team 1, team 2, or team 3. Each team has 10 kids. So 30 divided by 3 means 30 kids divided into 3 teams. 30 / 3 is abstract. 30 kids divided into 3 teams is real. Same with sharing pizza, pie or anything else with your friends.

Math is taught too abstractly for kids. That's just lazy. Keep it real. Do your son a big favor. Every time he has homework, find a real-world example. Once you get the feel for it, you'll be amazed how easy it is to see your son's world is full of examples.

edited: oops, I switched from milk to cookie mid-example

This post was edited on 12/2 5:44 PM by janiece

thanks to both you and Zeke for posting...

this is really great stuff and will definitely help us. Honestly, until he actually visited the school he'll attend last week, I think this type of thing was the least of his worries. Now, it's A number 1 on his list of things he's worried about.

Your advice will definitely help. Thanks a million!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT