ADVERTISEMENT

"America’s Polarization Has Nothing To Do With Ideology"

hoot1

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
As some of you know, I am always ranting about how divided our country is. Divided along the lines of wealth, age, religion, color, etc.

Well what about political ideology as in Republican versus Democrat, and where does "identity politics fit in ?

This article is an interesting read which in part states the following,

According to Groenendyk, we can resolve the tension between our party identifications and our frustration with our parties by increasing our antipathy toward our parties’ opponents. In other words, we can justify our vote choice if we believe the opposing party is worse. This allows us to acknowledge our disgust with our parties without jumping ship.

On identity politics,

Part of the apparent paradox may be explained by the nature of partisanship. Rather than the result of a rational analysis of various policy positions, it may be better to think of party allegiance as an element of personal identity. This is a point that many conservatives who decry “identity politics” often miss. Party politics itself can be a form of identity politics, even if our party identifications are downstream from other elements of identity, such as race, religion, and class.​

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Isn't something like his the perfect example of polarization?

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/400522-sikh-man-attacked-told-to-go-back-to-country-while-posting-law

The far right and far left are sacrificing their own values and stances in order to criticize opponents.

Isn't something like his the perfect example of polarization?

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/400522-sikh-man-attacked-told-to-go-back-to-country-while-posting-law

The far right and far left are sacrificing their own values and stances in order to criticize opponents.
I was just discussing that story with someone else. I highlighted it as a perfect example of how the alt-right white nationalist movement doesn't care about left or right, they just care about what they believe, and everyone else is worthless trash. But you can expand the story into a metaphor for politics generally. Identity > policy.

I was just discussing that story with someone else. I highlighted it as a perfect example of how the alt-right white nationalist movement doesn't care about left or right, they just care about what they believe, and everyone else is worthless trash. But you can expand the story into a metaphor for politics generally. Identity > policy.

Which is why I do not like them. It is weakness and small mindedness to believe that you will not find brothers in arms among other racial and ethnic groups. Many colors have bled and died to help build this country to what it is, anyone saying that it belongs to one race is an idiot. Crispus Attucks and Frederick Douglas are just as much a part of the American experience as Patrick Henry and John Adams.

Equality is a noble goal. It is the more perfect union that our Founders spoke of. Right now we seem intent on ripping ourselves apart based on grievances related to immutable characteristics. It is small mindedness that plays itself out every day and it is not just a function of the alt right. They are the white purveyors of the ideology but they have kindred spirits across the aisle (without the history and violence etc...feel like I have to add that before you guys go all apeshit that I am equating Nazis with whomever).

I have often posted that I feel these intersectional grievance politics are the road to ruin. I believe that is true whether being practiced by a Sarah Jeong or a Richard Spencer or David Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT