ADVERTISEMENT

Alleviating the grind of being poor

Scientists can surely figure out a quick, easy test for pot to tell if you are actually impaired. There should be something like a breathalyzer on a car that won’t let it start if you are. I know it’s not that simple, but it’s going to become necessary as more and more states move to legalization.
Has there been testing of people’s driving impairment at different levels of pot intoxication? Not sure intoxication is the right word.

And another question: who, specifically, is waging this "war"? What tactics are they deploying and what weapons are they using? And where have we fallen short in defending against this aggression?

I'm hoping for a serious, fact based discussion rather than a battle of platitudes.

The Govt through the programs that encourage handouts instead of a hand up certainly do not encourage the family. After all, if you are a single parent and not married you can get more freebies.

Since handout programs began the number of single parent families have increased. That is without question.

Let's really help people, not just give them handouts. Programs that help:
1. Education help, like student loans, grants, 21st century schollies, where high paying jobs, even vocational can be obtained.
2. School choice.
3. Day care help so people can get work or a degree.
4. Public transit help so people can get a job or a degree...many do both at the same time.
5. Programs that get people off drugs.
6. Sure there are others, but in short, let's help move people to success in life, not keep them in poverty with handouts.

The Govt through the programs that encourage handouts instead of a hand up certainly do not encourage the family. After all, if you are a single parent and not married you can get more freebies.

Since handout programs began the number of single parent families have increased. That is without question.

1. Education help, like student loans, grants, 21st century schollies, where high paying jobs, even vocational can be obtained.
2. School choice.
4. Public transit help so people can get a job or a degree...many do both at the same time.
6. Sure there are others, but in short, let's help move people to success in life, not keep them in poverty with handouts.
They need to do away free meals for kids 18 and younger! The only thing that teaches kids is that government will feed you. The reason a kid would b hungry is the his lard ass Mother is eating all the food. Disgusting.

2. School choice.

So, all the things McCarthy wants to cut before he'll raise the debt limit?

Interesting thread revival. Lots of good posters and good discussion back then. I was a better poster back then too.

So, all the things McCarthy wants to cut before he'll raise the debt limit?

McCartys bill raises debt limit. Still has Trillion$ in it that can be used for priorities.

Can you give me a list of 5-6 things you would consider cutting, since I listed 5-6 to things that I consider these priorities??

McCartys bill raises debt limit. Still has Trillion$ in it that can be used for priorities.

Can you give me a list of 5-6 things you would consider cutting, since I listed 5-6 to things that I consider these priorities??

I'd look at revenue enhancement first.

Interesting thread revival. Lots of good posters and good discussion back then. I was a better poster back then too.
It’s a very interesting topic. And not to highlight one thing but public transportation is one of my pet peeves. And I know it isn’t the same for everywhere and I know we don’t necessarily want more cars on the road but damn if you are poor public transportation is dangerous and takes forever to get anywhere. You need to take the train and about four buses for half the jobs. People would be better off with a car stipend than transit vouchers. A car would provide so much opportunity. Able to pick kids up. Get to jobs in a reasonable time etc.

I'd look at revenue enhancement first.
The absolute best revenue e.enhancement is more people working.

We have significant labor shortages and high quit rates across a number of industries and occupations. There are a number of reasons for that. Many of those reasons are social, not economic or government policy. It isn’t just a coincidence that we have historically high rates of anxiety and depression in the country.

Reactions: stollcpa and Lucy01
It’s a very interesting topic. And not to highlight one thing but public transportation is one of my pet peeves. And I know it isn’t the same for everywhere and I know we don’t necessarily want more cars on the road but damn if you are poor public transportation is dangerous and takes forever to get anywhere. You need to take the train and about four buses for half the jobs. People would be better off with a car stipend than transit vouchers. A car would provide so much opportunity. Able to pick kids up. Get to jobs in a reasonable time etc.
Owning a car also creates the opportunity for one to soak in the virtues of ownership and maintenance. Take care of the car and it will take care of you.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
There’s a problem with this thread and the people posting here about the poor. You think they have the mindset that you do. They don’t. They taker, not makers. Hundreds of years ago They were called peasants.

Owning a car also creates the opportunity for one to soak in the virtues of ownership and maintenance. Take care of the car and it will take care of you.
And not show up to work a tired sweaty mess that smells like shit from being on the train/bus

Reactions: larsIU
If we substituted government supported ridecshare and eliminated much of mass transit, everyone would be better off. For most of the day busses and trains here are not even 10% full.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
And not show up to work a tired sweaty mess that smells like shit from being on the train/bus
Exactly. I’ve heard Secretary Buttegeig drone on about how to get people out of cars and into busses but he never mentions the obvious, make public transportation clean, safe. and pleasant.

Exactly. I’ve heard Secretary Buttegeig drone on about how to get people out of cars and into busses but he never mentions the obvious, make public transportation clean, safe. and pleasant.
He’s an idiot. With routes that don’t require ten transfers and a two hour commute. And if that can’t be done without cars transportation will always be a barrier to employment

Reactions: stollcpa
He’s an idiot. With routes that don’t require ten transfers and a two hour commute. And if that can’t be done without cars transportation will always be a barrier to employment
This is an example that being poor is just a pain in the ass. Everything is a pain in the ass when you are poor. I remember what it was like and try to be understanding. A little financial security really does make life in general just so much easier.

This is an example that being poor is just a pain in the ass. Everything is a pain in the ass when you are poor. I remember what it was like and try to be understanding. A little financial security really does make life in general just so much easier.
Some people have the desire and work ethic to better themselves, others don’t. I acknowledge in some cases due to health and mental issues they can’t.

In over 35 years of practice, I’ve seen hundreds and maybe in the thousands of people pull themselves up by the bootstraps and better themselves.

I’ve also seen people just refuse to do anything to change their lives. What’s our responsibility to able adults who refuse to work? There are well paying jobs everywhere right now that require no college degrees.

I acknowledge my experiences doesn't include large urban cities.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
Some people have the desire and work ethic to better themselves, others don’t. I acknowledge in some cases due to health and mental issues they can’t.

In over 35 years of practice, I’ve seen hundreds and maybe in the thousands of people pull themselves up by the bootstraps and better themselves.

I’ve also seen people just refuse to do anything to change their lives. What’s our responsibility to able adults who refuse to work? There are well paying jobs everywhere right now that require no college degrees.

And with AI this problem will only get worse. We won't know how to deal with it. And to the people who constantly remind me that new tech means new opportunities, I'm not sure it means opportunities for lower skilled workers or even those with specific/technical degrees.

I'm really concerned we just won't face this problem as we should. We've watched it in slow motion for the last 30 years as manufacturing and production jobs have been replaced with robots or automations requiring fewer and fewer human components. AI will move much faster and be far more invasive.

As to lazy people, there will only be more of them as we strip away the purpose of so many people. Especially men. When it changes from "won't" to "can't" support their families, we're doomed.

stoll, as someone acquainted with the economies in rural Indiana, could you explain to me what type of employment do folks find to better themselves in these communities.

I realize one way to improve the family finances is to drive several miles to neighboring towns such as Columbus or Indianapolis. However, aside from commuting, how do families improve their financial situation short of relocating.

And with AI this problem will only get worse. We won't know how to deal with it. And to the people who constantly remind me that new tech means new opportunities, I'm not sure it means opportunities for lower skilled workers or even those with specific/technical degrees.

I'm really concerned we just won't face this problem as we should. We've watched it in slow motion for the last 30 years as manufacturing and production jobs have been replaced with robots or automations requiring fewer and fewer human components. AI will move much faster and be far more invasive.

As to lazy people, there will only be more of them as we strip away the purpose of so many people. Especially men. When it changes from "won't" to "can't" support their families, we're doomed.
I can think of so many areas in law AI could replace

• Sad
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
How about Uber/Lyft/rideshare vouchers instead so we can get the most out of the cars we already have on the road and employ others, too?

Kiss my ass. You tell me five ways you would increase revenues.

Your opening sounds like Biden's.

I listed them above. ie 5-6 important ways to actually help people....in the original post you responded to.

How about you giving some thought to where 5-6 cuts could be made ??

A lot of people aren't necessarily lazy, they are stupid (I am using this oh-so-technical term to mean a lack of the requisite IQ to stay gainfully employed at the relevant point in time where the market will provide a wage above the poverty level. This does not mean all poor people are stupid.)

There are a lot of stupid people in the world who, no matter how much grit and desire, aren't going to make a lot of money as technology advances.

Is that their "fault?" How should we deal with that situation?

AI could absolutely write legal briefs, and that’s after doing all the research. It could bang out contracts. It could write policies and procedures. What couldn’t it do in law really?
Build a rapport with the client, opposing counsel, judge, and jury.

Reactions: larsIU
Your opening sounds like Biden's.

I listed them above. ie 5-6 important ways to actually help people....in the original post you responded to.

How about you giving some thought to where 5-6 cuts could be made ??
2. School choice.

1. According to 2022 data we already spend 500 million a year on federal student loan programs. I would agree with increasing this total (though we did just forgive 10k/person)

2. Too vague and not a federal problem.

3. Agree though I'm sure there are copious programs already in place. Again, many are probably local/state funded.

4. Boondoggle unless it's in a high density urban area

5. Decriminalize and provide treatment. I think we could work together on this. As I think many Dems and Pubs could if they didn't have to disagree on 90% of everything else.

===

As to cuts....I hate the word cut. I would like our federal programs to be run more efficiently and updated for the 21st century. I'm am most certain they are not. Shit running on old systems not talking to other systems just breeds inefficiency which cost money. Your money.

We all should be demanding better of our government agencies. But we should not be demanding their death through strangulation of funds.

Defense is easy to point to but it's probably the largest provider of health and human services outside of the Dept of Health and Human SErvices.

So, good luck all.

Build a rapport with the client, opposing counsel, judge, and jury.
Yet

They're going to 100% be able to, cough, build rapport.

most-f-ckable-robots-1566247050.png

AI could absolutely write legal briefs, and that’s after doing all the research. It could bang out contracts. It could write policies and procedures. What couldn’t it do in law really?
Court stuff. But it could certainly blow through all the presuit car crash stuff. Lost wages, med specials, liens, pop out an answer. Like a developed abacus or whatever it’s called

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
A lot of people aren't necessarily lazy, they are stupid (I am using this oh-so-technical term to mean a lack of the requisite IQ to stay gainfully employed at the relevant point in time where the market will provide a wage above the poverty level. This does not mean all poor people are stupid.)

There are a lot of stupid people in the world who, no matter how much grit and desire, aren't going to make a lot of money as technology advances.

Is that their "fault?" How should we deal with that situation?

Brad, how about all those smart people who are trained in fields which are declining in terms of employment opportunities or not providing the pay to keep pace with the cost of living ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT