ADVERTISEMENT

All this talk about needing a dual threat QB from the portal....

He's mobile and elusive. But I don't see other teams game planning around his running ability. Just because he can run, doesn't make him dangerous with his legs.
I see, he’s “mobile and elusive”, but not dangerous….gotcha. Well never fear there will be another option

Reactions: IUCX9
I see, he’s “mobile and elusive”, but not dangerous….gotcha. Well never fear there will be another option
Exactly. We need someone who is a threat to take it to the house every time. On the ground or through the air. Keeping the play alive and picking up a first down when needed is nice. But dangerous is what we need.

I maybe asking for too much, but if you never ask...

Exactly. We need someone who is a threat to take it to the house every time. On the ground or through the air. Keeping the play alive and picking up a first down when needed is nice. But dangerous is what we need.

Put Lucas at qb then

What we need is someone in command of the offense , someone to move the chains, someone to not turn the ball over and someone to be a leader.

What we need is someone in command of the offense , someone to move the chains, someone to not turn the ball over and someone to be a leader.
Well yes.

But we're all going with CTA's comments of going with a true dual threat QB for the future.

That's captain obvious stuff. We need much more than that. Will still need a QB who can throw it downfield and score at a fairly quickly pace. Playing from behind will be common, so will still need something along the lines of someone who can excel in a 2 minute offense.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Throwing passes in the MIC is completely different than throwing passes in the Big 10.....we all know "HS rankings" are a crap shoot....for every 4-star that makes it there are 5 that don't....

When he missed in those games, they weren't "close misses"....they were Monroe Lake misses

That's captain obvious stuff. We need much more than that. Will still need a QB who can throw it downfield and score at a fairly quickly pace. Playing from behind will be common, so will still need something along the lines of someone who can excel in a 2 minute offense.
Clearly you miss the point

Or...hear me out, IU becomes a ball control team that can sustain drives, convert in the redzone, and allows time for the defense to rest. Tom Allen's defenses historically aren't designed to shut the opposing team down. However, they're very opportunistic and thrive on takeaways.

IU shouldn't be trying to play with tempo and scoring at a fast pace. To run the type of offense IU did with Bazelak, you need a highly accurate passer if you're going to sling the ball all over the field. Bazelak averaged 42 passes a game last year with a a completion % at just 55%. That's terrible. Need to be completing passes at ~65% to have success running at that tempo. Couldn't stand the amount of quick 3 and outs this team suffered last year and puts your defense in a bad position time and time again. I have extreme doubts that Sorsby or Lowery are going to be able to complete passes at that rate next year.

Dexter Williams wasn't a threat to throw the ball downfield, completed 2 forward passes in a game that went to 2 OT and IU still managed to run the ball for 250+ yards and nearly 6 yards a carry. They were well on their way to replicating that against Purdue until he went out with an injury. They weren't running tempo, weren't trying to score on every play, just running smash mouth, read option football taking what the defenses gave them. 4 yards on first down, 3 on the 2nd down, live in 3rd and manageable. Put McCulley in a position to complete high percentage passes and I believe he could absolutely be a factor in the offense.

Or...hear me out, IU becomes a ball control team that can sustain drives, convert in the redzone, and allows time for the defense to rest. Tom Allen's defenses historically aren't designed to shut the opposing team down. However, they're very opportunistic and thrive on takeaways.

IU shouldn't be trying to play with tempo and scoring at a fast pace. To run the type of offense IU did with Bazelak, you need a highly accurate passer if you're going to sling the ball all over the field. Bazelak averaged 42 passes a game last year with a a completion % at just 55%. That's terrible. Need to be completing passes at ~65% to have success running at that tempo. Couldn't stand the amount of quick 3 and outs this team suffered last year and puts your defense in a bad position time and time again. I have extreme doubts that Sorsby or Lowery are going to be able to complete passes at that rate next year.

Dexter Williams wasn't a threat to throw the ball downfield, completed 2 forward passes in a game that went to 2 OT and IU still managed to run the ball for 250+ yards and nearly 6 yards a carry. They were well on their way to replicating that against Purdue until he went out with an injury. They weren't running tempo, weren't trying to score on every play, just running smash mouth, read option football taking what the defenses gave them. 4 yards on first down, 3 on the 2nd down, live in 3rd and manageable. Put McCulley in a position to complete high percentage passes and I believe he could absolutely be a factor in the offense.

You really don't want McCulley on this team, do you?

Reactions: vesuvius13
You really don't want McCulley on this team, do you?
If McCulley wants to transfer because he'd rather be a rotation piece wide receiver then let him. Clearly replacing a WR in the portal is a lot easier than landing a dual threat QB. Coaching staff clearly wants a dual threat QB running the offense next year. There's one already on the roster and we haven't landed one in the portal. Do the math.

If McCulley wants to transfer because he'd rather be a rotation piece wide receiver then let him. Clearly replacing a WR in the portal is a lot easier than landing a dual threat QB. Coaching staff clearly wants a dual threat QB running the offense next year. There's one already on the roster and we haven't landed one in the portal. Do the math.

So you would rather run someone off the team because they don't want to play a position that their heart is truly in, threatening to ruin that recruiting connection in Indy, because we all know that that would get back to the coaches at Lawrence North, and not just at LN, but possibly the other Indy schools because Allen would be going against his word and not doing what was in the best interest of the kid.

Yeah, that seems like a great idea.

So you would rather run someone off the team because they don't want to play a position that their heart is truly in, threatening to ruin that recruiting connection in Indy, because we all know that that would get back to the coaches at Lawrence North, and not just at LN, but possibly the other Indy schools because Allen would be going against his word and not doing what was in the best interest of the kid.

Yeah, that seems like a great idea.
Allen is out in 2 years (hopefully sooner) and his pipeline to Indy couldn't be worse right now. Didn't sign a single Indy area player last year and signed one in-state prospect in total, and only one in 2022. 2024 has some legit prospects yet IU is a long shot for nearly all of them. Allen and staff failing to develop a 4* QB in their backyard before his career really even started is going to be used against him in a much more negative light than an Indy area kid transferring out. Not like a bunch of Indy area kids haven't either already transferred out or failed to develop under Allen anyway.

Absolutely pathetic display by the staff.

Last edited:
Allen is out in 2 years (hopefully sooner) and his pipeline to Indy couldn't be worse right now. Didn't sign a single Indy area player last year and signed one in-state prospect in total, and only one in 2022. 2024 has some legit prospects yet IU is a long shot for nearly all of them. Allen and staff failing to develop a 4* QB in their backyard before his career really even started is going to be used against him in a much more negative light than an Indy area kid transferring out. Not like a bunch of Indy area kids haven't either already transferred out or failed to develop under Allen anyway.

Absolutely pathetic display by the staff.

Allen is trying to save his job, so why would he tank that connection. Let's live in the real world here.

There is also a life beyond Indiana football should he be let go here. Do you think he'd be well received when hired at another school if he were assigned the Indy area if he did one of their own wrong?

You're totally wrong on this and pushing a narrative that makes absolutely no sense.

Allen is trying to save his job, so why would he tank that connection. Let's live in the real world here.

There is also a life beyond Indiana football should he be let go here. Do you think he'd be well received when hired at another school if he were assigned the Indy area if he did one of their own wrong?

You're totally wrong on this and pushing a narrative that makes absolutely no sense.
How does pointing out the staffs incompetence in putting together a plan in place to develop the highest rated QB in program history make me wrong?

Serious question, do you think McCulley woke up one morning and just decided he wanted to play WR? You don't think its plausible that this move was prompted due to the staffs inability to devise a plan for him going forward as well as instilling a conviction that they could develop him along the way over the course of the Spring?

I get why McCulley moved to WR. He has zero confidence in the staffs ability to develop him long term. I don't blame him for that. It's inexcusable by the staff however. My narrative 100% stands and makes complete sense. Highly rated QB's don't just wake up one morning and decide they want to play a different position.

Last edited:
How does pointing out the staffs incompetence in putting together a plan in place to develop the highest rated QB in program history make me wrong?

Serious question, do you think McCulley woke up one morning and just decided he wanted to play WR? You don't think its plausible that this move was prompted due to the staffs inability to devise a plan for him going forward as well as instilling a conviction that they could develop him along the way over the course of the Spring?

I get why McCulley moved to WR. He has zero confidence in the staffs ability to develop him long term. I don't blame him for that. It's inexcusable by the staff however. My narrative 100% stands and makes complete sense. Highly rated QB's don't just wake up one morning and decide they want to play a different position.

Yes, I do believe he woke up and wanted to play wide receiver. Why would he go to Allen and ask to switch positions? If he wanted to stay at QB and not take a beating, he could have just transferred out, but again, it was his choice to not play QB. This wasn't the staff that moved him, it was DM that asked. You have no idea what they pitched to him and what they didn't. What we do know is that the kid made the call.

Your premise has flaws that you refuse to acknowledge because you are looking at this only one way. It's either move the kid or let him walk and to hell what the aftermath is for Allen is. You refuse to acknowledge the recruiting backlash this could have on the program going forward.

Yes, I do believe he woke up and wanted to play wide receiver. Why would he go to Allen and ask to switch positions? If he wanted to stay at QB and not take a beating, he could have just transferred out, but again, it was his choice to not play QB. This wasn't the staff that moved him, it was DM that asked. You have no idea what they pitched to him and what they didn't. What we do know is that the kid made the call.

Your premise has flaws that you refuse to acknowledge because you are looking at this only one way. It's either move the kid or let him walk and to hell what the aftermath is for Allen is. You refuse to acknowledge the recruiting backlash this could have on the program going forward.
You are right about several posters being locked into their way of thinking and not listening to the reality. It was reported all the things coach Allen did before letting McCulley move. Poster are just in a tizzy because IU hasn't pulled in a QB yet. Once all the signings are done May 15th, I think the board will settle down.

The recruiting backlash is already showing. What are you talking about? Allen can't land a player from Indianapolis right now to save his life . Can't land a competent QB in the transfer portal either. We're about to sign a kid from Vanderbilt who was demoted halfway through the year in favor of a true freshman. Backlash going forward should be the least of Allen's concerns right now, they can't get any worse can while he's here on borrowed time can they?

Failing to develop a 4* QB in IU's backyard is going to be used against IU for years to come, with or without Allen. Why would any QB consider IU at the moment? Why would anyone from Indy want to join this dumpster fire? Allen and Kevin Wright both come from the MIC fraternity here in Indianapolis. Why are all the MIC kids going everywhere but Indiana? Because no player, family member, or MIC coach has any faith in this staff to develop and utilize players going forward.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
You are right about several posters being locked into their way of thinking and not listening to the reality. It was reported all the things coach Allen did before letting McCulley move. Poster are just in a tizzy because IU hasn't pulled in a QB yet. Once all the signings are done May 15th, I think the board will settle down.

Baz and Tuttle being ahead of Williams and McCulley at QB last yr shows the real issue at IU that needs addressed.

if those having Baz and Tuttle ahead of Williams and McCulley are still making decisions and evaluating players and needs, including recruits, that needs to be addressed first.

as for McCulley, while he doesn't have the elite quicks of Williams, he's way more athletic than most, and has a great arm as well.

if McCulley is our starter next yr, we're already better at QB than we were this yr, despite what the trolls and idiots that dominate the board say.

The recruiting backlash is already showing. What are you talking about? Allen can't land a player from Indianapolis right now to save his life . Can't land a competent QB in the transfer portal either. We're about to sign a kid from Vanderbilt who was demoted halfway through the year in favor of a true freshman. Backlash going forward should be the least of Allen's concerns right now, they can't get any worse can while he's here on borrowed time can they?

Failing to develop a 4* QB in IU's backyard is going to be used against IU for years to come, with or without Allen. Why would any QB consider IU at the moment? Why would anyone from Indy want to join this dumpster fire? Allen and Kevin Wright both come from the MIC fraternity here in Indianapolis. Why are all the MIC kids going everywhere but Indiana? Because no player, family member, or MIC coach has any faith in this staff to develop and utilize players going forward.

You have zero idea what you are talking about.

You have zero idea what you are talking about.
I don't?

Where are all the Indy commits? What about Indiana alone? Purdue at one point had 7 Indy area players committed in this class, they lost a few to a coaching change...how many ended up at IU? What do prospects for the 2024 class look like? How bad does our QB room appear for next year, with or without Wright?

IU has ZERO momentum recruiting the state, primarily Indianapolis, right now. None. Zilch. ZERO. No traction, no commits and no serious leans for next year. Running off a 4* QB....who isn't even playing QB because the staff is clueless, isn't going to be the end of the world. It'd actually be par for the course. IU spent the better part of 2.5 years recruiting McCulley, they made him a priority. He's a rotation piece at best at wide receiver next year.

You wonder why IU is striking out on all the local talent? Read the room. Better yet, get a clue. Stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

I don't?

Where are all the Indy commits? What about Indiana alone? Purdue at one point had 7 Indy area players committed in this class, they lost a few to a coaching change...how many ended up at IU? What do prospects for the 2024 class look like? How bad does our QB room appear for next year, with or without Wright?

IU has ZERO momentum recruiting the state, primarily Indianapolis, right now. None. Zilch. ZERO. No traction, no commits and no serious leans for next year. Running off a 4* QB....who isn't even playing QB because the staff is clueless, isn't going to be the end of the world. It'd actually be par for the course. IU spent the better part of 2.5 years recruiting McCulley, they made him a priority. He's a rotation piece at best at wide receiver next year.

You wonder why IU is striking out on all the local talent? Read the room. Better yet, get a clue. Stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

I would pay attention to who just hit the portal...

You may want to read the room.

I don't?

I'll take FL kids over IN kids all day. TA has a pipeline there and there is way more talent available to pick from.

I'll take FL kids over IN kids all day. TA has a pipeline there and there is way more talent available to pick from.
I’m fine with taking FL kids, but the competition is much greater there as well. Still doesn’t excuse the fact that Allen and staff are laying a massive egg in recruiting Central Indiana. It’s been IU’s Achilles heel forever and it has to get better. Sick and tired of watching players from Indy, especially down linemen, go to Purdue, Iowa, Louisville, etc and not to Bloomington. IU’s head ball coach and TE Coach have vast experience coaching in the MIC and with all their connections are perpetually losing out on recruits to different schools.

I’m fine with taking FL kids, but the competition is much greater there as well. Still doesn’t excuse the fact that Allen and staff are laying a massive egg in recruiting Central Indiana. It’s been IU’s Achilles heel forever and it has to get better. Sick and tired of watching players from Indy, especially down linemen, go to Purdue, Iowa, Louisville, etc and not to Bloomington. IU’s head ball coach and TE Coach have vast experience coaching in the MIC and with all their connections are perpetually losing out on recruits to different schools.

You don't think there's competition recruiting the Indy area?

Where do you think we rank when it comes to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and the such when kids can jump in a car and get to wherever in a few hours and take a visit?

The one thing that Allen has proven is that he can recruit. His on field work has been really lacking the last couple years, but he's been able to get it done on the trail. He knows where his bread and butter is and stays there.

People last year said his recruiting was going to collapse and it didn't. Now you are on here all doom and gloom saying we won't get a competent qb... looks like we may, who guess what, could very well be from Indiana. How ironic is that?

Reactions: red hornet
You don't think there's competition recruiting the Indy area?

Where do you think we rank when it comes to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and the such when kids can jump in a car and get to wherever in a few hours and take a visit?

The one thing that Allen has proven is that he can recruit. His on field work has been really lacking the last couple years, but he's been able to get it done on the trail. He knows where his bread and butter is and stays there.

People last year said his recruiting was going to collapse and it didn't. Now you are on here all doom and gloom saying we won't get a competent qb... looks like we may, who guess what, could very well be from Indiana. How ironic is that?
Jackson isn’t nearly ready enough to help us right now.

I'm not talking about the kids that go to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan. I'm talking about the kids that go to Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Louisville, Cincy, etc. Those schools recruit Indy about as good or better than Indiana despite IU being the flagship school in Indy's backyard. It's a problem.
The one thing that Allen has proven is that he can recruit. His on field work has been really lacking the last couple years, but he's been able to get it done on the trail. He knows where his bread and butter is and stays there
He's recruited some nice pieces over the years, namely from the Tampa area, but he's also whiffed on more than his fair share of recruits and there's been a habit of guys not developing and in some cases even regressing throughout their time here. Guys like Mullen, Jaylin Williams, Monster Matthews, etc were no better as upperclassmen than they were as underclassmen. Landing recruits is one thing, developing them once they get here is another and that has been a strong suit for Allen's recruits.
Our incoming class is awful sans a player or two. That vaunted 2022 class has already seen the best player, by far, transfer out as well as lose a couple others. Already seen several pieces of the 2021 class either transfer our or switch positions. Recruiting is only going to get worse as Allen's tenure inevitable nears an end. We're relying heavily on the portal and its nothing more than a bad aid. We may get Tayven Jackson, we may not. Have very little faith in this staff developing him. Hell the one QB Allen has landed we couldn't protect or keep upright and he just set a bunch of records at his new school and is on a short-list of Heisman candidates for next year. Tells you everything you need to know.

I'm not talking about the kids that go to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan. I'm talking about the kids that go to Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Louisville, Cincy, etc. Those schools recruit Indy about as good or better than Indiana despite IU being the flagship school in Indy's backyard. It's a problem.

He's recruited some nice pieces over the years, namely from the Tampa area, but he's also whiffed on more than his fair share of recruits and there's been a habit of guys not developing and in some cases even regressing throughout their time here. Guys like Mullen, Jaylin Williams, Monster Matthews, etc were no better as upperclassmen than they were as underclassmen. Landing recruits is one thing, developing them once they get here is another and that has been a strong suit for Allen's recruits.

Our incoming class is awful sans a player or two. That vaunted 2022 class has already seen the best player, by far, transfer out as well as lose a couple others. Already seen several pieces of the 2021 class either transfer our or switch positions. Recruiting is only going to get worse as Allen's tenure inevitable nears an end. We're relying heavily on the portal and its nothing more than a bad aid. We may get Tayven Jackson, we may not. Have very little faith in this staff developing him. Hell the one QB Allen has landed we couldn't protect or keep upright and he just set a bunch of records at his new school and is on a short-list of Heisman candidates for next year. Tells you everything you need to know.

Just a few hours ago you were wondering how any QB would want to come here... now one that was rated (checks notes) the same as McCulley is visiting this weekend and looks like he is ours to lose and you're switching your narrative to we may get him but we won't develop him.

Keep moving those goalposts.

Just a few hours ago you were wondering how any QB would want to come here... now one that was rated (checks notes) the same as McCulley is visiting this weekend and looks like he is ours to lose and you're switching your narrative to we may get him but we won't develop him.

Keep moving those goalposts.
We've already squandered a 4* QB and failed to protect and keep upright one of the best QB's in the country. We may get Jackson, I've stated that, but he's light years away from being a reliable threat. Would have felt much more comfortable with the staff staying committed to McCulley and him entering his upperclassmen years.

I could be totally wrong and prepared to admit as such in the event I am. But I'm not counting on it. I've seen nothing from this staff over the last two years that would suggest otherwise. Have completely ran any and all momentum into the ground and is a sitting duck the next two years. It will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Reactions: CC Mac
i don't give a flying "F" what he was rated, or his offer sheet.

what i said was 100% based in what i saw rewatching DM's play from his fresh yr.

DM has a great arm, and is plenty accurate enough.

and you only learn the position by playing.
He was benched for a walk-on against Purdue. And I think it's safe to say that everyone was relieved when that call was made. And now that walk-on is in the portal. What does that tell you?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
The fact that it got to the point where McCulley was even having to make this kind of decision shows failure on the part of the coaching staff. There's plenty of blame to be put on the coaching staff in this instance. There is just no way that McCulley woke up one day and decided he was better off playing WR.
You have zero clue how he based his decision. I can tell you this. He had some outside of the staff help with this decision.

They decided it was best for his long term goals that at the WR would be his best fit. Now, you can try and refute this, but it's true. This came from the same guy that told me Tayven would transfer to IU after the Bama win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT