ADVERTISEMENT

All-Crean Team

cryano

All-Big Ten
Apr 19, 2005
Jokes on thread title aside, Ive watched The Basketball Tournament, with Hulls, Watford, and Sheehey playing together. Syracuse and VCU are playing with their own school teammates.
Made me ask this question:
Who would be my starting 5 IU guys who played for Crean?

Still working on my list - but who you putting in your line-up?

Reactions: mayorparker
1. Yogi was on 2 championship teams.
2. Cody was on two sweet 16 teams.
3. Vic, no brainer.
4. Jordan was a leader that made others better.
5. Christian was clutch.
6. Troy Williams may have been the most talented player at IU during TCs time. I will catch flack on this but when IU was up against good teams Troy could still get his own shot and carried the Hoosiers at times.

OG and TB didn't do enough while there to be in my top group.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Jokes on thread title aside, Ive watched The Basketball Tournament, with Hulls, Watford, and Sheehey playing together. Syracuse and VCU are playing with their own school teammates.
Made me ask this question:
Who would be my starting 5 IU guys who played for Crean?

Still working on my list - but who you putting in your line-up?

1. Jeremy Hollowell (Point Guard)
2. Grant Gelon
3. Priller
4. Capobianco
5. Tijan

1. Yogi was on 2 championship teams.
2. Cody was on two sweet 16 teams.
3. Vic, no brainer.
4. Jordan was a leader that made others better.
5. Christian was clutch.
6. Troy Williams may have been the most talented player at IU during TCs time. I will catch flack on this but when IU was up against good teams Troy could still get his own shot and carried the Hoosiers at times.

OG and TB didn't do enough while there to be in my top group.
I was trying to get Hulls in there too, but was having a tough time because of Yogi. I think I just liked Hulls more as a fan though.

My 5 - Yogi, Vic, Watford, Cody, Vonleh.

Leaving off Hulls, Troy, Bryant, OG, JBJ, Sheehey

David Williams
Ron Patterson
Matt Roth
Luke Fischer
Peter Jurkin

6th man
Austin Etherington
Forgot to add a 6th man: Crean's liquid crank

ENERGY+DRINK.jpg

Reactions: hondo314
Of course the data set is way too small, but Creek (pre-injury) may have been one of the five best had his body not fallen apart.

Reactions: The Vid
starting 5:

Yogi
Oladipo
OG
Zeller
Vonleh

This group would lack a bit of outside shooting, but defensively they would be very good.

I was trying to get Hulls in there too, but was having a tough time because of Yogi. I think I just liked Hulls more as a fan though.

If you put JBJ on the team you must have a qualifier stating the opponent must start a chair. It's a joke! Actually the guy was a great shooter but doesn't deserve to be on the starting 5. As an opponent I didn't like Hulls.. Wish he had gone to Purdue. Hardnosed as hell.

I agree with your top 5 and it is interesting that 4 of the top 5 played at the same time. The loss to Syracuse in the Sweet 16 is one of the games in IU history I have not been able to forget.

I'll take this a little further. Lets take the best starting 5 of each IU coach against each other. Odds are that RMKs lineup would easily win, but what about a BM lineup, MD lineup, KS lineup/CTC? I dont think we need to include Dakich for obvious reasons.

I'll take this a little further. Lets take the best starting 5 of each IU coach against each other. Odds are that RMKs lineup would easily win, but what about a BM lineup, MD lineup, KS lineup/CTC? I dont think we need to include Dakich for obvious reasons.
A MD lineup would take most of those from the 2002 team, but I would not use anyone that also played under RMK. I will cheat and include Coverdale since he barely played under RMK. My starting 5:

Coverdale
AJ Moye
Robert Vaden
DJ White
Jared Jeffries

I hesitated to include Vaden, but this is a theoretical team that assumes they would have played at the peak of their abilities. I left off Bracey Wright, Wilmont, and Killingsworth. This team against

Yogi
Victor
Watford
Vonleh
Cody

Crean's team would beat the MD team. Both would get beat by:

Isiah Thomas
Steve Alford
Calbert Cheaney
Scott May
Kent Benson

I am not 100%sure of my RMK team. I might include Bobby Wilkerson, Buckner, and many others and still beat Crean's team.

Branch Had Slick, Walt Bellamy, Tom/Dick Van Arsdale, Archie Dees, Bill Garrett, probably missing a few since this was way before my time.

Branch Had Slick, Walt Bellamy, Tom/Dick Van Arsdale, Archie Dees, Bill Garrett, probably missing a few since this was way before my time.
A couple others: Don Schlundt and Jimmy Rayl. Not sure about positions, but I think both played for Branch.

If anything, this entire line of posts points out that IU bad the talent to win many more championships over the years.

A MD lineup would take most of those from the 2002 team, but I would not use anyone that also played under RMK. I will cheat and include Coverdale since he barely played under RMK. My starting 5:

Coverdale
AJ Moye
Robert Vaden
DJ White
Jared Jeffries

I hesitated to include Vaden, but this is a theoretical team that assumes they would have played at the peak of their abilities. I left off Bracey Wright, Wilmont, and Killingsworth. This team against

Yogi
Victor
Watford
Vonleh
Cody

Crean's team would beat the MD team. Both would get beat by:

Isiah Thomas
Steve Alford
Calbert Cheaney
Scott May
Kent Benson

I am not 100%sure of my RMK team. I might include Bobby Wilkerson, Buckner, and many others and still beat Crean's team.
Not sure Creans team would have beaten MD's. The names don't stand out, but that team had all the component's and had chemistry. That team also went further than any CTC team...

Not sure Creans team would have beaten MD's. The names don't stand out, but that team had all the component's and had chemistry. That team also went further than any CTC team...
I think it would create some interesting matchups.

Yogi on Coverdale
Victor on Vaden
Watford on Moye
Vonleh on DJ
Zeller on Jeffries

I ignore chemistry because neither team played together. Crean's 2013 team was very close and still are. The difficult part is factoring out the coaching influence on the players. I'm assuming neither coach would be coaching the team.

I would give Crean's team the edge in the back court. Yogi and Victor would cause more issues than Coverdale and Vaden. Watford on Moye? Moye might have have the edge in a single game. He was very determined and did not like to get beat individually or as a team. This probably the worst matchup. Vonleh on DJ would be close, but I give the nod to Vonleh because of his length. DJ, like Moye, would force Vonleh to match his intensity. Zeller and Jeffries are similar players and I would call this a draw.

Reactions: hoosier48
I think it would create some interesting matchups.

Yogi on Coverdale
Victor on Vaden
Watford on Moye
Vonleh on DJ
Zeller on Jeffries

I ignore chemistry because neither team played together. Crean's 2013 team was very close and still are. The difficult part is factoring out the coaching influence on the players. I'm assuming neither coach would be coaching the team.

I would give Crean's team the edge in the back court. Yogi and Victor would cause more issues than Coverdale and Vaden. Watford on Moye? Moye might have have the edge in a single game. He was very determined and did not like to get beat individually or as a team. This probably the worst matchup. Vonleh on DJ would be close, but I give the nod to Vonleh because of his length. DJ, like Moye, would force Vonleh to match his intensity. Zeller and Jeffries are similar players and I would call this a draw.
I would put Fife ahead of Vaden

Here is my Branch McCracken team. I'll play RMK, MD, KS, TC and DanD and spot any of them at least 3.5 points:
Center: Bellamy
PF: Schlundt
SF: Either Tom or Dick Van Arsdale
PG: Leonard
SG: Rayl
6th man: the Van Arsdale not playing SF

I know there must be a purist out there who would point out that Leonard was not the point guard on Branch's last NCAA champion. Tough! Leonard split point guard and shooting guard duties on the Minneapolis Lakers.

Added benefit: All these guys were good enough to play fast and they played fast.

Now tell me just exactly which of RMK's crew would be favored over this team?

One of the reasons I went Watford over OG.

Let's agree to start OG against Wisconsin and Purdue and put Watford in against Michigan and Iowa. Crean had a lot of horses in the stable. There is no doubting that.

Knight team:

I. Thomas
Alford
Edwards
Cheaney
May
(no one is going to stop that team )

Davis team:
Coverdale
Fife
Vaden
Jeffries
Haston

Sampson team:
Wilmont
Gordon
Calloway
Bassett
DJ White
(gotta go small. )

Crean team:
Yogi
VO
OG/Watford - the more I think about it, they'd both start some
Vonleh
Zeller

Archie's team:
Newkirk
Johnson
Hartman
Morgan
Davis

Here is my Branch McCracken team. I'll play RMK, MD, KS, TC and DanD and spot any of them at least 3.5 points:
Center: Bellamy
PF: Schlundt
SF: Either Tom or Dick Van Arsdale
PG: Leonard
SG: Rayl
6th man: the Van Arsdale not playing SF

I know there must be a purist out there who would point out that Leonard was not the point guard on Branch's last NCAA champion. Tough! Leonard split point guard and shooting guard duties on the Minneapolis Lakers.

Added benefit: All these guys were good enough to play fast and they played fast.

Now tell me just exactly which of RMK's crew would be favored over this team?

Team RMK:

Center - Benson. Walt was quicker, Benson was beefier. Both solid in the post. Draw
PF - May. If he doesn't break his arm at Purdue IU goes back-to-back undefeated seasons. Schlundt was very good, but May gets the nod here.
SF - Cheaney. One of my all-time favorite IU players. Incredible scorer, and a really good defender (better than many remember or give him credit for). Better than any of the twins, no matter which you pick.
PG - Isaiah. Against Slick? Are you kidding me? Next . . .
SG - Wilkerson. Struggled with this pick somewhat; there were a lot of other great choices. Bailey. Alford. Greg Graham. But Wilkerson was a special player, unbelievable defensively. Just how special was he? When was the last time a college team had a 6-11 All American in the post (Benson) and had their guard jump center?
6th man: Greg Graham (with honorable mentions to John Laskowski and Steve Eyl)

Those two teams could play each other 100 times and RMK's crew wins 95+

Reactions: kkott
While the Branch team is good, 3rd Team all-RMK could do pretty well against all the other coaches's team. He might even have a pretty good 4th team based only on transfers especially if Bird is eligible to be on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT