ADVERTISEMENT

A look at the PFF grades of the starters on the offensive line

Fenny72

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002

Interesting article and shows with the grades how poorly our OL has been this year. Our five starters have taken from 429-484 snaps out of 520. Seems like Carpenter would be a likely candidate for moving into the starting rotation if they are going to make a change.

We'll see if the OL is able to improve their performance as we start to play lesser competition (Except for UM). Without a secure pocket our QBs don't have much of a chance for success. If not, think we need to have more max protection, with 2 RB/TEs or RB and TE on either side. No reason to have 5 guys running routes if the QB can't (or won't) get to the 2nd or 3rd option.

I'm expecting the defense to carry the team the rest of the season and still see a path to 6 wins.
GO IU!

Interesting article and shows with the grades how poorly our OL has been this year. Our five starters have taken from 429-484 snaps out of 520. Seems like Carpenter would be a likely candidate for moving into the starting rotation if they are going to make a change.

We'll see if the OL is able to improve their performance as we start to play lesser competition (Except for UM). Without a secure pocket our QBs don't have much of a chance for success. If not, think we need to have more max protection, with 2 RB/TEs or RB and TE on either side. No reason to have 5 guys running routes if the QB can't (or won't) get to the 2nd or 3rd option.

I'm expecting the defense to carry the team the rest of the season and still see a path to 6 wins.
GO IU!
Did anyone email this article to the staff. Seems they need some advice on who to play.

Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13

GO IU!
I still can't believe Jones is still a tackle. He should be a guard and should have been for a long time.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised Jones grades out worse in the running game than the passing game.
Even if it is by just a little bit.

At least to me, he had seemed to be decent as a run blocker (not great or anything, but OK),
but terrible and completely overmatched athletically against edge rushers in the passing game.

The regression of Jones is a HUGE red flag regarding Hiller's teaching methods. Jones was actually a pretty decent run blocker two years ago, particularly inside the red zone. His play has declined since the Gator Bowl season.

Indiana MUST have a strong developmental oline coach because they aren't going to always pull 4* line players. The two best programs in the West, Iowa and Wisconsin, are noted for recruiting 3* linemen and developing them in a superior fashion. Indiana desperately needs to follow suit.

The only 4-star lineman IU has recruited is Darius Latham on the other side of the ball.

Leading Hoosier runner
2018 Stevie Scott 1,137 yards
2019 Stevie Scott 845 yards
2020 Stevie Scott 561 yards
2021 Transfer Stephen Carr has rushed for 452 yards through 7 games. Right now all of the other running backs are walk-on.

The regression of Jones is a HUGE red flag regarding Hiller's teaching methods. Jones was actually a pretty decent run blocker two years ago, particularly inside the red zone. His play has declined since the Gator Bowl season.

Indiana MUST have a strong developmental oline coach because they aren't going to always pull 4* line players. The two best programs in the West, Iowa and Wisconsin, are noted for recruiting 3* linemen and developing them in a superior fashion. Indiana desperately needs to follow suit.
I don’t know that there has been a huge regression by Jones. He never has been great. He occasionally makes plays that wow you but never consistent.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don’t know that there has been a huge regression by Jones. He never has been great. He occasionally makes plays that wow you but never consistent.
He has had fantastic blocks inside the five yard line throughout the years. Ramsey made a living by running behind Jones and his ability to wash out his end of the line. Ramsey and Penix scored a bunch of TDs following Jones into the endzone.

Last year's hammering of Michigan was a particularly good game for Jones. He blew them off the ball on multiple occasions. Something has happened to his play and it ain't pretty...

He has had fantastic blocks inside the five yard line throughout the years. Ramsey made a living by running behind Jones and his ability to wash out his end of the line. Ramsey and Penix scored a bunch of TDs following Jones into the endzone.

Last year's hammering of Michigan was a particularly good game for Jones. He blew them off the ball on multiple occasions. Something has happened to his play and it ain't pretty...
He has made similar blocks this year however no consistency never needs has been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT