ADVERTISEMENT

A definition of cancel culture

• Thread starter anon_6hv78pr714xta
  • Start date
I can see both sides of that. When I taught in an urban area, I had many parents ask me about the schools, kids and culture. I honestly thought it was a decent idea to have the kids there through middle school and go someplace else for high school. At least they were exposed and often had friends that weren’t just like them. Stereotypes can often be broken at an early age. But when your school doesn’t provide as many opportunities at the high school and is more dangerous, I’d make a move with my kids. It’s idealistic but not always realistic to sacrifice your child’s best educational opportunities.
I get what you're saying

But

If the white kids stayed in the highschool would it get better? I really don't want to answer that question in the affirmative but I think it would. And not b/c of the kids.

Karens and Chads are useful sometimes you know.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
I didn’t contact any employer so go fk yourself. You overeducated underachieving libs would do well to come to Daviess and do sone learnin from eight grade educated smart folks.

And Mark can go fk himself too.
Love me some Daviess county. We own some property there (very small) that is used for a fishing camp it is the most peaceful place I go during the year. Nothing like Glendale and West Boggs! I don't think I've ran across one hateful person and you are correct you better be able to strap them up and get your hands dirty.

The Amish are also great, love seeing them out but love their cooking even more.

Love me some Daviess county. We own some property there (very small) that is used for a fishing camp it is the most peaceful place I go during the year. Nothing like Glendale and West Boggs! I don't think I've ran across one hateful person and you are correct you better be able to strap them up and get your hands dirty.

The Amish are also great, love seeing them out but love their cooking even more.

Most are good, hard working people. But there are some bad apples too.

They are passive and turn the other cheek. I am a rebel. I fight back. 😂

No Cray apparently did something over the line that pissed noodle off
I made a random post about liberals in general about something. Didn't reply to him personally and not sure I ever did with the exception of when he was talking about sled hockey in paralympics and his son plays sled hockey. I really don't care, but I didnt say anything to him.

Most are good, hard working people. But there are some bad apples too.

They are passive and turn the other cheek. I am a rebel. I fight back. 😂
The problem up here in Lagrange Elkhart Co area is the Amish aren't really Amish anymore. You actually see much more Old Orders actually farming. The amish cashed in on tourism and trailer factories. Then there is so much ''Amish'' stuff from food to other stuff that has nothing to do with Amish. One store was selling Amish furniture complete with made in China stickers they forgot to remove.

I get what you're saying

But

If the white kids stayed in the highschool would it get better? I really don't want to answer that question in the affirmative but I think it would. And not b/c of the kids.

Karens and Chads are useful sometimes you know.
Yep that’s true. I don’t know the answer either.

Reactions: larsIU
The problem up here in Lagrange Elkhart Co area is the Amish aren't really Amish anymore. You actually see much more Old Orders actually farming. The amish cashed in on tourism and trailer factories. Then there is so much ''Amish'' stuff from food to other stuff that has nothing to do with Amish. One store was selling Amish furniture complete with made in China stickers they forgot to remove.
When I worked for the rural phone company we were driving around Amish country and I saw a guy pulling a gas powered farm machine with horses. I remember thinking the juxtaposition of that was so odd, like if you can use a gas powered machine, why not a tractor? We also installed no small number of phones into milk rooms of barns. Not allowed in the house, but okay in the barn.

When I worked for the rural phone company we were driving around Amish country and I saw a guy pulling a gas powered farm machine with horses. I remember thinking the juxtaposition of that was so odd, like if you can use a gas powered machine, why not a tractor? We also installed no small number of phones into milk rooms of barns. Not allowed in the house, but okay in the barn.
The bishop of each church group is powerful. He decides what’s right and wrong.

Each church group meets every two weeks for formal church. There’s no church building. They alternate having church in each member’s house.

Bishops get the job by drawing lots out of a Bible.

The bishop of each church group is powerful. He decides what’s right and wrong.

Each church group meets every two weeks for formal church. There’s no church building. They alternate having church in each member’s house.

Bishops get the job by drawing lots out of a Bible.
The ordnung guides the Amish way of life, not the bishop.

Generally speaking, on matters like whether or not to allow new technology, it’s decided by a vote among each district.

Looks like we're gonna have ourselves an old-school Amish knowledge street fight. Approved!

In this corner, we have. The Amish Assassin. The Buggy Bully. The only fighter to regularly knock out 5 men-a-night.....Stoll <boom boom> CPA!

His opponent, hailing from English, Indiana. The Doctor of Pain. The Wizard of Wiki. @Hoopsdoc1978

Watch the Rumsprungle in the Jungle. Only on Pay Per View.

Looks like we're gonna have ourselves an old-school Amish knowledge street fight. Approved!

In this corner, we have. The Amish Assassin. The Buggy Bully. The only fighter to regularly knock out 5 men-a-night.....Stoll <boom boom> CPA!

His opponent, hailing from English, Indiana. The Doctor of Pain. The Wizard of Wiki. @Hoopsdoc1978

So, it's televised? Really?

The ordnung guides the Amish way of life, not the bishop.

Generally speaking, on matters like whether or not to allow new technology, it’s decided by a vote among each district.

Not Daviess County Amish. For example in one district a farmer can use a one row corn picker, with gas motor pulled by horses and in another they shuck corn by hand. Over the last few years they might all use motorized pickers. Some Amish have tractors with regular tires which they drive to town. Others aren’t allowed those modern of tractors.

The National Amish Steering Committee lays down interpretations of big picture items.

Local bishops absolutely micromanage smaller issues.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Not Daviess County Amish. For example in one district a farmer can use a one row corn picker, with gas motor pulled by horses and in another they shuck corn by hand. Over the last few years they might all use motorized pickers. Some Amish have tractors with regular tires which they drive to town. Others aren’t allowed those modern of tractors.

The National Amish Steering Committee lays down interpretations of big picture items.

One thing is for sure they have the means to afford whatever they choose. They are not relying on anyone or thing to survive.

Reactions: stollcpa

Right, each district decides for themselves what they will or won’t allow. That’s what I said.

The bishops don’t micromanage anything. They only get involved when necessary.

Stolls a poser with his fancy girlfriend and his accountant money. He’s all hat and no cattle. He’s the hind tit when it comes to knowledge about the Amish.

I’M your huckleberry. 😎

• Wow
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Stolls a poser with his fancy girlfriend and his accountant money. He’s all hat and no cattle. He’s the hind tit when it comes to knowledge about the Amish.

I’M your huckleberry. 😎
My parents attended Amish churches in their childhood. I interact in detail with the Amish. I know exactly how they operate their churches.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

I’M your huckleberry. 😎
@stollcpa this is alarming. I thought you were Amish? I counted on it. This isn’t stolen Amish valor is it?

May we hear from you?

hWgjt6U.jpg

"liberal Mennonite church"

sounds like a real blast
Actually, some of the more liberal Mennonite congregations are as liberal as any you’ll find anywhere. I know they have more than a few LGBTQ pastors.

• Wow
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
One of my biggest frustrations with the Meridian-Kessler parents here in Indy is the promotion of diversity that I think is more curated than legitimate. Their hearts are in the right place but it doesn't ring true to me in practice.

Like, they get into the curated diverse school, as that author puts it, and feel good about it. It's still super skewed relative to total IPS enrollment. So they want to bring more kids of color into the school, once their kids are already locked in of course. My stock response to the line of thinking of those parents is "how many of you are sending your kids to Tech once they graduate Middle School?" Because if they're sending them to one of the local Private Schools for HS or up to North Central, they're doing a lot more "talk about it" than "be about it."
They are, but all that activism tends to go out the door when discussing your own kids. Arsenal Tech is someplace most people don't want to send their kids unless they have to.

You can bus and desegregation and equity out your ass all day and it won't amount to a hill of beans for the vast majority of the kids falling under the line. The school isn't the problem. Their parents are. The people they interact with in their neighborhoods are. And on and on.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
"liberal Mennonite church"

sounds like a real blast
In the 70’s it was the church Mennonites went to that wanted to get away from the strict teaching in the conservative Mennonite Church. Actually the Baptist Church would have been more conservative than this new church.

My memories of church from childhood is my mom crying every Sunday on the way home after church. The ladies would berate my mom in class after the sermon. She got grief over my sister wearing jeans and having her hair cut. More grief over me and my brother playing sports and on and on. So silly.

In the 70’s it was the church Mennonites went to that wanted to get away from the strict teaching in the conservative Mennonite Church. Actually the Baptist Church would have been more conservative than this new church.

My memories of church from childhood is my mom crying every Sunday on the way home after church. The ladies would berate my mom in class after the sermon. She got grief over my sister wearing jeans and having her hair cut. More grief over me and my brother playing sports and on and on. So silly.
I remember from various churches and my parents lunchtime conversation was did you see who was late, did you see what who wore . I remember one time it was an ice storm and my dad wouldn't stay home, did a 180 and slow roll over into a ditch that only scratched some paint, got a wrecker to pull us out and undaunted we went on to church. There was maybe 10 people there

There are all variations around here that many mistake for Amish. You are right it's the Bishop that makes the rules for each group. There are general rules but they vary. People don't understand and understandably so how they do some things and not others. Cell phones made a huge change vs the phone booths you would see out by the road. It isn't electricity its when the house is hooked to the pole everyone else is hooked to. Many actually own Big Pickups but cant drive them. They can use a tractor to pull a trailer to do construction work. The dollar is a huge factor in a lot of it and how they get around whatever it is they actually believe.

Reactions: stollcpa
An interesting discussion of cancel culture, Scott Adams, etc:

"I, too, rolled my eyes at Adams’s comments when they first surfaced — because they were ridiculous, but also because buried ten feet deep in this inane controversy is a conversation which might actually have been worth having and now is less likely than ever to come to fruition: a conversation about the bizarre mainstreaming in rarefied academic and cultural spaces of explicit (and often self-loathing) anti-white rhetoric; about a media class that flogs false narratives of ubiquitous racial hatred for clicks; about the multi-billion-dollar DEI economy built on convincing ordinary Americans that they can neither understand nor trust each other. Personally, I’m less perturbed by the few dozen respondents to the Rasmussen poll who weren’t sure if it’s “okay to be white” than I am by the fact that people in a position to shape national discourse are going around asking this question in the first place."

Reactions: larsIU and jet812
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT