ADVERTISEMENT

A Brazilian Nut in the making: Jair Bolsonaro, Presidential Candidate

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
This guy who is leading the polls, Jair Bolsonaro, was stabbed a couple of days ago. Nothing too serious, he will recover in a few days and analysts say this will give him a boost in the polls.

Some of the things this guy said and defended in the past:
  • He'd rather have his sons die than being gay
  • Parents of gay boys should "beat the gayness" out of them
  • After 4 sons he had a daughter, which he described as a moment of weakness
  • His kids were raised not to feel attracted to black women
  • Ugly women don't deserve to be raped
  • Torture and death penalty should be legal
  • One of the problems of the Brazilian military dictatorship was torturing instead of killing, like in Pinochet's Chile
  • Those convicted of corruption should be executed by fire squad
  • Children raised by gay couples, which he will try to outlaw, become gay or prostitutes
  • He was already fined for racist (black slaves were too expensive because black people don't work) and homophobic (if a decent man sees to man kissing in the street he should beat them) comments and for inciting to violence
  • He is against equal pay because women can get pregnant
  • The "miserable", as he calls the poor, should be encouraged to use sterilisation.
Brazilian Duarte.

So yeah, this guy is leading the polls. It's like the Illuminati is planting a prick into every continent.

Good luck, Brazil...

What a time to be alive!

Wow. That's quite the resume. Sheesh.

This guy who is leading the polls, Jair Bolsonaro, was stabbed a couple of days ago. Nothing too serious, he will recover in a few days and analysts say this will give him a boost in the polls.

• One of the problems of the Brazilian military dictatorship was torturing instead of killing, like in Pinochet's Chile
  • Children raised by gay couples, which he will try to outlaw, become gay or prostitutes
  • He was already fined for racist (black slaves were too expensive because black people don't work) and homophobic (if a decent man sees to man kissing in the street he should beat them) comments and for inciting to violence
  • The "miserable", as he calls the poor, should be encouraged to use sterilisation.
Brazilian Duarte.

So yeah, this guy is leading the polls. It's like the Illuminati is planting a prick into every continent.

Good luck, Brazil...

What a time to be alive!

Reactions: sglowrider

Brazilian Duarte.

Good luck, Brazil...

What a time to be alive!

Brazil is a very interesting country. Great people....but a lot of wealth disparity.

If you haven't been there, hard to describe. I love it....but I always with the "haves' side..I'd live there I could (in a different life). It's really a great place....specifically away from the 2 main large cities.

Would be like rating the US on being in NYC and Philly.

Brazil is a very interesting country. Great people....but a lot of wealth disparity.

If you haven't been there, hard to describe. I love it....but I always with the "haves' side..I'd live there I could (in a different life). It's really a great place....specifically away from the 2 main large cities.

That's what I hear -- everyone who has been there incl. my sister loves it. A different rhythm/approach to life.
I envy you.

That's what I hear -- everyone who has been there incl. my sister loves it. A different rhythm/approach to life.
I envy you.

It's a big country....so no different than someone going to NYC and saying they have been to 'America'.

I've been serial times..trips to Rio, which was great.... and Sao Paulo...Not that great.

And then a couple weeks immersed in a small town in the state of Parana......that was similar to a small Indiana country seat. A lot of farmers, a few lawyers, etc.....think like Logansport, IN

Best place ever

Reactions: sglowrider

When I travel there for work (Rio), we have to be confined to our hotel and drive around in armored Rovers. I hate it.

When I travel there for work (Rio), we have to be confined to our hotel and drive around in armored Rovers. I hate it.

Yep. Rio has terrible crime issues. It is to bad...it's a cool city....but such poverty is so close by to the city its a major problem that isn't going to be solved soon.

Haven't been there since 2006. Heard it's gotten worse.

Reactions: DrHoops
I've spent a lot more time in Sao Paulo than I have in Rio. I've only been in Rio for a week for a wedding and it was really fun, but that was during the run up to the Olympics and all I could think about was wanting to keep myself out of the water. It is stunningly beautiful, though...Sugarloaf and the landscape.

I have a different opinion than you on Sao Paulo. I love it there. I've probably spent 5 weeks in SP over the last few years. I find the food there to be much better than in Rio...and I have a lot of friends in SP from the hedge fund racket who take me around. It's a fun place if you stay safe (which I'm sure you already know). I do want to explore other parts of Brazil because, as you say it's a huge country and staying in two giant cities isn't getting to know the real Brazil.

In general, I LOVE South America. Chile is fantastic. Santiago and Valparaiso...plus the wine country. Argentina, best food anywhere if you're a carnivore. Uruguay same. I love Peru too for the natural and historical beauty. If you've not been to Machu Picchu, it's an incredible sight to see. I'm going down to spend the month of October in Peru for an immersion Spanish course. Should be interesting. I've only been in Lima for one day, so a month should be an adventure. I hope my Spanish gets passable because if not, I'm in trouble!

It's a big country....so no different than someone going to NYC and saying they have been to 'America'.

I've been serial times..trips to Rio, which was great.... and Sao Paulo...Not that great.

And then a couple weeks immersed in a small town in the state of Parana......that was similar to a small Indiana country seat. A lot of farmers, a few lawyers, etc.....think like Logansport, IN

Best place ever

Before I visited Brazil, I always thought it would be such a melting pot, which it is...but there's still that racial stratification that I thought wouldn't be the case. The people there are great, in general, though...and the women...argh.

Yep. Rio has terrible crime issues. It is to bad...it's a cool city....but such poverty is so close by to the city its a major problem that isn't going to be solved soon.

Haven't been there since 2006. Heard it's gotten worse.

Reactions: twenty02
That surprises me a bit. I know it's dangerous, but I've always been fine cabbing it. I don't like walking around at night, that's for sure and don't if I can possibly help it, but sometimes a restaurant is a block away from the place I'm staying and I feel stupid getting a cab for a 100 meter walk. So far so good I guess. As one of my clients who is a Rio native told me...Brazil is perfectly safe until it isn't. He moved back from NYC, and said he refused to let the criminals change his lifestyle, which means he wouldn't stop wearing his Rolex. Finally, one time in broad daylight, someone put a gun in his back and took it.

Interesting fact, about SP...there are more helicopters per capita than any other city because executives would rather get in a helicopter and fly to another building then hit the streets...

That surprises me a bit. I know it's dangerous, but I've always been fine cabbing it. I don't like walking around at night, that's for sure and don't if I can possibly help it, but sometimes a restaurant is a block away from the place I'm staying and I feel stupid getting a cab for a 100 meter walk. So far so good I guess. As one of my clients who is a Rio native told me...Brazil is perfectly safe until it isn't. He moved back from NYC, and said he refused to let the criminals change his lifestyle, which means he wouldn't stop wearing his Rolex. Finally, one time in broad daylight, someone put a gun in his back and took it.

Interesting fact, about SP...there are more helicopters per capita than any other city because executives would rather get in a helicopter and fly to another building then hit the streets...

I walked back to my hotel by myself once late at night...and some kids attempted to rob/pickpocket me. I hit them with my flip flop until one of the hotel security guards chased them off.

This was right along Copacabana beach.

Just picturing someone hitting pickpockets with their flip flop is hilarious. I'm sure it wasn't for you at the time, though!

I walked back to my hotel by myself once late at night...and some kids attempted to rob/pickpocket me. I hit them with my flip flop until one of the hotel security guards chased them off.

LOL. Rio is a great city. So long as you stay in the right places and watch your six.

Walking alone is the problem. If you stay in groups, you are far less likely to have issues. Friend of mine got robbed at knife point in Sao, right on Avenue Paulista in broad daylight. I always found Sao to be worse than Rio.

Brazilian Duarte.

Good luck, Brazil...

What a time to be alive!

tenor.gif

Hilarious that he is a member of the "Social Liberal Party"

Walking alone is the problem. If you stay in groups, you are far less likely to have issues. Friend of mine got robbed at knife point in Sao, right on Avenue Paulista in broad daylight. I always found Sao to be worse than Rio.

Yes I knew better but did it anyway.

A book you might like about Brazil is called Fordlandia. It’s about when Henry Ford decided to create his own rubber plantation for tires in Brazil near Manaus. They knew nothing about Brazilian culture and didn’t TRY to learn about it. So it turned out to be a total disaster because they were trying to jam American culture down the locals’ throats. Anyway, it’s a fascinating read:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fordlandia book

Here’s what it looks like today:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordlândia

Best place ever

Hahaha!!! The wedding I went to served Caipirinhas. They just walked around with them on trays. The guy whose wedding I attended ended up crawling up the stairs at the end of the night. His wife was a mess too, but it was one of the most fun weddings I’ve ever been to.

His partner got married in Montauk, and they turned this little place that was owned by Brazilians into a dance club essentially, for the reception. People were up on the bar dancing.

The Brazilians know how to have fun, that’s for sure. And not to revisit it, but the women....well, you know the deal. Whoah!

I had quite a few local brews at the time....so I was extra courageous/dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT