ADVERTISEMENT

76-1

This was a challenging 3 weeks not going to lie. Glad it's over. Very glad they didn't screw it up as he seems like a great fit for Coach Allen's staff personality wise, and a very credible background coaching wise. Think he'll bring some innovative ideas to the table. Exciting!

This was a challenging 3 weeks not going to lie. Glad it's over. Very glad they didn't screw it up as he seems like a great fit for Coach Allen's staff personality wise, and a very credible background coaching wise. Think he'll bring some innovative ideas to the table. Exciting!

Check out the guy’s HC record at Sioux Falls. I know....they are D-II but it’s pretty impressive on any level.

That was Welshman's pick from the start and he's always been one of the most knowledgeable guys on here so I'm good with it.

[[Tom Allen & Fred Glass are both letting out a sigh of relief I'm sure upon reading that...]];)
**That is supposed to be self deprecating humor...**

/// I guess Dabo wouldn't let Fred talk to his coaches.;):D///

Now I'm Really looking forward to Spring Practice!

That was Welshman's pick from the start and he's always been one of the most knowledgeable guys on here so I'm good with it.

[[Tom Allen & Fred Glass are both letting out a sigh of relief I'm sure upon reading that...]];)
**That is supposed to be self deprecating humor...**

/// I guess Dabo wouldn't let Fred talk to his coaches.;):D///

Now I'm Really looking forward to Spring Practice!
This guy was Welshman's pick?? If true, I definitely feel better about it!

Reactions: 76-1
Welshman please chime in to offer your
IMO Indiana doesn't have the personnel (especially OL) to run Air Raid stuff;
I felt that IU's single biggest off-season issue to fix offensively was how to optimize its QBs' skills;
I thought that the way DeBoer used McMaryion at FSU would be a potentially good fit for Penix (or Tuttle or Ramsey, for that matter);
Fresno's red zone offense was tied for 19th in the FBS last season (IU = tied for 83rd);
Fresno's scoring offense was 26th in the FBS last season (IU = 87th)

I also anticipate more pro-active and energetic recruiting from the new OC. Speaking of recruiting:

besides Hopper:
--FSU was/is recruiting at least 3 big JUCO receivers who IIRC aren't yet signed;
--they're also evidently recruiting a number of promising Calif h.s. defensive players, including a pair of 4-star prospects, one of whom (Heimuli) could probably start for IU as a true freshman, but both are probably unrealistic;
--FSU was/is also recruiting some other lower-rated but still promising West h.s.prospects who might be worth a contact (Alonzo Hall, David Heckard, Colby Warkentin, Kaleb Hervey, Paul Matavao-Poialii) if they're at all interested/available--IIRC Warkentin is a FSU verbal though;
--FSU was or still is recruiting Mississippi JUCO DL prospect Kendell Jones as well as a JUCO OT from Calif. (Tim Anderson);
--FSU was/is recruiting a huge h.s. OL from Alabama (Adarius Tolliver);
--FSU was/is recruiting a promising DL from Michigan (a kid from Michigan? I wonder who might've been Fresno's lead recruiter for him) named Tyrece Woods

Last edited:
I felt that IU's single biggest off-season issue to fix offensively was how to optimize its QBs' skills;
I thought that the way DeBoer used McMaryion at FSU would be a potentially good fit for Penix (or Tuttle or Ramsey, for that matter);
Fresno's red zone offense was tied for 19th in the FBS last season (IU = tied for 83rd);

I also anticipate more pro-active and energetic recruiting from the new OC. Speaking of recruiting:

besides Cropper:
--FSU was/is recruiting at least 3 big JUCO receivers who IIRC aren't yet signed;
--they're also evidently recruiting a number of promising Calif h.s. defensive players, including a pair of 4-star prospects, one of whom (Heimuli) could probably start for IU as a true freshman, but both are probably unrealistic;
--FSU was/is also recruiting some other lower-rated but still promising West h.s.prospects who might be worth a contact (Alonzo Hall, David Heckard, Colby Warkentin, Kaleb Hervey, Paul Matavao-Poialii) if they're at all interested/available--IIRC Warkentin is a FSU verbal though;
--FSU was or still is recruiting Mississippi JUCO DL prospect Kendell Jones as well as a JUCO OT from Calif. (Tim Anderson);
--FSU was/is recruiting a promising DL from Michigan (a kid from Michigan? I wonder who might've been Fresno's lead recruiter for him) named Tyrece Woods

Hopefully someone from our Recruiting staff occasionally reads this board...;)

And... Thanks! I enjoy jotting down my own recruiting lists.:D

Last edited:

besides Hopper:
It depends on how those guys buy in. I’ll put it this way... Bruce Arians has had success and hasn’t in the NFL. But the guys who bought in (Manning) ended up being successful. The guys who didn’t, were average at best. At some point I want Ramsey to fully just be the alpha and take this over. I think he gives the team the best chance to win (even if less talented that Penix). But I have no ego. If Penix is the one who buys in the most play him. I’m indifferent. All I know is that at each level, no matter who your coordinator is, the ones who care the most do the best. Nate Sudfeld has Litrell, Johns, and CKW in his ear, but the one constant was that Sudfeld wanted to succeed. Even with Eagles, when he goes in the game, he does well. He’s the only constant. I want to see one QB emerge as that guy. To be honest, if Penix has Sudfelds heart and study habits, he’ll be even better due to his natural ability. What scares me about the dual threat guys is they’re quick to leave that pocket too early and they get hurt (Roberson, who was arguably better than Sudfeld). I hope injuries aren’t a theme for Penix because he clearly has the skills.

It depends on how those guys buy in. I’ll put it this way... Bruce Arians has had success and hasn’t in the NFL. But the guys who bought in (Manning) ended up being successful. The guys who didn’t, were average at best. At some point I want Ramsey to fully just be the alpha and take this over. I think he gives the team the best chance to win (even if less talented that Penix). But I have no ego. If Penix is the one who buys in the most play him. I’m indifferent. All I know is that at each level, no matter who your coordinator is, the ones who care the most do the best. Nate Sudfeld has Litrell, Johns, and CKW in his ear, but the one constant was that Sudfeld wanted to succeed. Even with Eagles, when he goes in the game, he does well. He’s the only constant. I want to see one QB emerge as that guy. To be honest, if Penix has Sudfelds heart and study habits, he’ll be even better due to his natural ability. What scares me about the dual threat guys is they’re quick to leave that pocket too early and they get hurt (Roberson, who was arguably better than Sudfeld). I hope injuries aren’t a theme for Penix because he clearly has the skills.

I agree Penix has incredible skill set. To see the ball fly off his arm is a thing of speed and beauty. I think his run last season where he got injured was bit more of a fluke that terribly bad decision. But like Andrew Luck, he probably needs to master the QB Slide soon for his own sake.

I will say: Not sure Penix doesn't have study the playbook bad habit problems as seemingly inferred. Think he was a FR who frankly almost won the job in pre-season and likely was going to take the job from PSU game on had he not gotten injured.

Anyway, think the new OC has great experience, a good gut and "Sioux Falls" common sense about him. Think he'll be a great fit for IU and the players and coaching staff, and has the ability to figure out how to get the right people in position to succeed. I'm bullish.

Reactions: Superstar84b

besides Hopper:
Great Info thanks! I had just posted today I wondered if he could bring some cali kids with him.

Yes, it will certainly depend on players buying in to what DeBoer will be coaching--just as it would've depended on them buying in if DeBord had stayed another year, or if Canada had returned, or if Gleeson had been hired.

At this point I'm pretty agnostic about the potential starting QB but I do expect, whatever guy gets nod, that the offense will at least have the potential to be more effective than last year's was. Especially in the red zone and the end zone.

And it will clearly have to be, if the defense continues to give up increasing numbers of points in conference play like in the past 3 seasons.

I am surprised, given CTA’s love for defense that that’s the case. Why do you think that is?

Would seem to me there may have been some correlation between somewhat poor offense and defensive slippage. Ex: OSU, IU D got TWO key Q3 stops or turnovers around midfield and offense couldn’t score any points. Then OSU got going again and defense got scored on and they pulled away. Had IU scores both times, they may have had OSU on he ropes.

In MN loss, defense started poorluy(but so did the offense) but then O started scoring and defense held to give IU ball for chance to win and we went three and out, hen defense gives up The bomb to lose. But if offense drives for the score (and think only needed a FG to win) defense likely not in that position to lose.

I know the two go together and special teams included too (Penn St!) but a better offense will mean a fresher defense and hence likely better defense. So I think correlation to one of our 4-star QBs and new OC will lead to a better offense in 2019!

Reactions: TominDallas
Yes, it will certainly depend on players buying in to what DeBoer will be coaching--just as it would've depended on them buying in if DeBord had stayed another year, or if Canada had returned, or if Gleeson had been hired.

At this point I'm pretty agnostic about the potential starting QB but I do expect, whatever guy gets nod, that the offense will at least have the potential to be more effective than last year's was. Especially in the red zone and the end zone.

And it will clearly have to be, if the defense continues to give up increasing numbers of points in conference play like in the past 3 seasons.
Past 2 seasons, but I get your point. I'd like to think/hope that being both head coach and defensive coordinator had something to do with that slippage. Losing 2 All B1G linebackers didn't help either, but hopefully with the new division of responsibilities, the defense will start to get back to where it was a few seasons ago.

Reactions: 76-1
Getting kids in there that can fill those linebacker roles that Scales and Covington filled is a MUST for Allen and his future success. Top linebacker play is obviously critical to any defense, but it seems it's even more crucial in Allen's schemes. That hybrid position that Ball plays is probably the most important spot in a Tom Allen defense??

I'd like to see an updated projected depth chart for the 2019 campaign. Who is projected to be the starting front 7 on defense?

Bowl or Bust in 2019!! I think his job will certainly be secured with a 6 win season. If he wins 5 again and loses to Cornfield Pete, Ouch!!

Reactions: grammy2
Getting kids in there that can fill those linebacker roles that Scales and Covington filled is a MUST for Allen and his future success. Top linebacker play is obviously critical to any defense, but it seems it's even more crucial in Allen's schemes. That hybrid position that Ball plays is probably the most important spot in a Tom Allen defense??

I'd like to see an updated projected depth chart for the 2019 campaign. Who is projected to be the starting front 7 on defense?

Bowl or Bust in 2019!! I think his job will certainly be secured with a 6 win season. If he wins 5 again and loses to Cornfield Pete, Ouch!!
Cornfield Pete...I think your on to something! :)

Reactions: td75
This is based off tackles from last year (number to the far right). We need to go juco for another DT OR 2 . Not much experience coming back at DT unless I missed something.

DE

· A. Stallings6-2 / 230 17

· G. Everett6-3 / 245 18

· M. Ziemba6-3 / 245 3

· T. Reece6-4 / 230 1

· J. Head6-5 / 240 13

· A. Bryant6-2 / 250 5

· M. Norris6-4 / 200

· J. King6-3 / 255

· G. McCabe6-3 / 250

B. Robbins6-4 / 238

DT

B. Wilson6-3 / 255 8

Kayton Samuels 7

Juan Harris

· J. Johnson6-3 / 295 23

· L. Minor6-3 / 300

· C. Schneider6-2 / 218

S. Jones6-1 / 271

· J. Harris6-3 / 360

· C. Person6-2 / 295

· J. Passmore6-2 / 250

· S. Nofoagatoto'a6-2 / 321

Last edited:
Reactions: td75
Very high on Cam Jones and Miller as LB'S. James Head has huge upside at DE.

Past 2 seasons, but I get your point. I'd like to think/hope that being both head coach and defensive coordinator had something to do with that slippage. Losing 2 All B1G linebackers didn't help either, but hopefully with the new division of responsibilities, the defense will start to get back to where it was a few seasons ago.
no, past 3 seasons. Each season Allen's been in charge of IU's defense it's given up successively more points in B1G play.

Cornfield Pete...I think your on to something! :)

I prefer to call him “Pedophile Pete”

2roii4.jpg

no, past 3 seasons. Each season Allen's been in charge of IU's defense it's given up successively more points in B1G play.
Yes a concern that I have. I would hope CTA is looking at film to see if BIG OC's have found holes in our scheme. I'm still haunted by how our defense was sliced up by Minnesota last year. Poor LB/safety play.

Reactions: Tegray1

And it’s still nowhere what it was in 2014 and 2015 total defense when we had veteran defenses:

#92 - 2014
#121 - 2015
#37 - 2016
#26 - 2017
#85 - 2018

Big drop this past year though with a freshman bunch. If he has the same kind of stats in 2019, his seat should be red hot.

Reactions: td75 and Indianaftw
Do you have those stats for conference play?

Here are some overall stats:
2014: Opp Pts/G: 32.8 (103rd of 128)
2015: Opp Pts/G: 37.6 (117th of 128)
2016: Opp Pts/G: 27.2 (58th of 128)
2017: Opp Pts/G: 25.3 (53rd of 130)
2018: Opp Pts/G: 29.9 (81st of 130)

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
Not trying to be a dick and argue something that's pointless anyway, but his first year here was three years ago, and the defense improved dramatically from prior years in virtually every stat. To me that's the starting point, and it's gotten progressively worse (scoring-wise) in the 2 years since.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Not trying to be a dick and argue something that's pointless anyway, but his first year here was three years ago, and the defense improved dramatically from prior years in virtually every stat. To me that's the starting point, and it's gotten progressively worse (scoring-wise) in the 2 years since.
our difference is a semantic one--my point was never that Allen's defense didn't improve over Mallory's, it's that EACH of his successive defenses has given up more points in B1G play (I don't care about shutting out Charleston Southern or holding Georgia Southern to 17 points).

For the record, Mallory's final 2 defenses gave up approx. 36 and 39.5 pts per B1G game. Allen's first B1G defense only gave up about 29 pts per game (maybe not great at tOSU or UM, but pretty good by IU's historical standards), CTA's 2nd defense gave up 30 ppg in the B1G (that was w/ a shutout of Rutgers; it gave up almost 34 ppg in its other 8 B1G games) and Allen's most recent defense gave up just over 34 ppg in the B1G.

Reactions: LeConte
That is simply wrong. My how people's memories fade. Last year was a big step back but a lot of young guys played a lot. That is usually a good sign for the future.
Last year we gave up 305 points in conference. We gave up 54 ooc. If you do the math thats 33.8 ppg in conference and 18 ppg ooc

Yes we did play alot of youth but that is awful. That stat needs to drop by 10 ppg this year at least!

24.5 was the in conference offensive ppg average and 32 ppg ooc average. That is not good folks.

Reactions: Tegray1
And it’s still nowhere what it was in 2014 and 2015 total defense when we had veteran defenses:

#92 - 2014
#121 - 2015
#37 - 2016
#26 - 2017
#85 - 2018

Big drop this past year though with a freshman bunch. If he has the same kind of stats in 2019, his seat should be red hot.
I don't expect Allen to be in any trouble in 2019 (even if his B1G defense gives up more points for the 4th season in a row and he has another losing season as a result).

I don't think there's any way (barring off-field behavioral or academic issues) Allen won't get AT LEAST as much time as Lynch got from Glass to turn things around--i.e., 4 if not 5 years. What I'm less certain about is what Glass might do if McRobbie leaves and, if it includes retirement, would a new A.D. have a different approach?

Last year we gave up 305 points in conference. We gave up 54 ooc. If you do the math thats 33.8 ppg in conference and 18 ppg ooc

Yes we did play alot of youth but that is awful. That stat needs to drop by 10 ppg this year at least!

24.5 was the in conference offensive ppg average and 32 ppg ooc average. That is not good folks.
I don't include OOC stats because IMO they're almost meaningless, especially when it comes to telling me how the team might do vs. B1G conference competition.

The people who are pointing out that Allen came in and improved IU's defense over Mallory's are absolutely correct. My point is, that "improvement gap" has been shrinking over time, at least where it counts--in the B1G.

it's not "simply wrong" it's completely accurate.

Points per game is a pretty useless stat. What did we hold those teams to in regards to their averages against other B1G competition? Of those points given up how many were short fields caused by ST gaffes or turnovers? You can cherry pick stats to prove just about any point you want to make. We need a complete team and then you don't need to try to pick apart each squad.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I don't expect Allen to be in any trouble in 2019 (even if his B1G defense gives up more points for the 4th season in a row and he has another losing season as a result).

I don't think there's any way (barring off-field behavioral or academic issues) Allen won't get AT LEAST as much time as Lynch got from Glass to turn things around--i.e., 4 if not 5 years. What I'm less certain about is what Glass might do if McRobbie leaves and, if it includes retirement, would a new A.D. have a different approach?
I agree that Allen won't be on any kind of a hot seat in the near term, but I don't think the Lynch comparison works. Unlike Allen, Lynch wasn't hired by Glass. Glass canned Lynch just two years into his (Glass's) tenure. We can't know for sure, but it's not crazy to think that Glass may not have been so quick with the hook had he been responsible for Lynch's hiring. Also, Lynch went 7-5 and achieved bowl eligibility in his first season. Unfortunately things went south after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT