ADVERTISEMENT

24/7 says Lewis favoring Indiana…..

I'd be curious to know how much of IU's appeal in the eyes of Julian Lewis is that he starts early. I really hope that Sunseri has not implied to Ju Ju that he would walk in and be the starter day one if he were to come to Indiana.

Ik the moment he signs with Indiana he becomes the highest rated recruit in IUFB history, he would also (in my humble opinion) easily have the highest ceiling of any scholarship QB. BUT due to his reclassification from 2026 to 2025 he would still only be 17 years old at the start of the 2025 season in a year where we go to Kinnick, Autzen (Oregon), and Happy Valley.

Obviously Sunseri is working with far more knowledge on exactly what Lewis will be physically and emotionally ready to take on as a true freshman and I'm confident he'll make the right decision. But outside looking in I would rather not rush Lewis into starting too early. If Lewis were to start than literally any other scholarship QB we have is a flight risk to hit the portal and who knows how ready he will be to go up against B1G defenses in a year when he should be playing against high schoolers.

If he starts right away it's possible he blows up and has a great year but IMO it's far more likely he has an up and down year as a true freshman, takes a lot of heat for his rookie mistake and hits the portal. Then we've dismantled our QB room for one inconsistent year of a 5 star at QB as a true freshman. If we were to land Julian I'd rather give him a year to sit behind Tayven and learn how to be a college QB, then (assuming he's an early enrollee) he take the keys of the offense at the start of 2026 with a year and half of college experience under his belt. This is essentially what Michigan did with JJ McCarthy. Let him get his feet wet w/o overwhelming him, then he takes over as starter in year two.

Last edited:
I just spoke with the Capper. He is in Evansville taking in the meet an Ellis Park. He said our coach isn't one to guarantee playing time to anyone. The Capper doesn't work, hangs out at the track and can cash a check in any bar in three states.
Does The Capper perhaps owe the mob any money? His track record of success has taken a nose dive the last two seasons. I’m concerned he may be into some huge debt.

I'd be curious to know how much of IU's appeal in the eyes of Julian Lewis is that he starts early. I really hope that Sunseri has not implied to Ju Ju that he would walk in and be the starter day one if he were to come to Indiana.

Ik the moment he signs with Indiana he becomes the highest rated recruit in IUFB history, he would also (in my humble opinion) easily have the highest ceiling of any scholarship QB. BUT due to his reclassification from 2026 to 2025 he would still only be 17 years old at the start of the 2025 season in a year where we go to Kinnick, Autzen (Oregon), and Happy Valley.

Obviously Sunseri is working with far more knowledge on exactly what Lewis will be physically and emotionally ready to take on as a true freshman and I'm confident he'll make the right decision. But outside looking in I would rather not rush Lewis into starting too early. If Lewis were to start than literally any other scholarship QB we have is a flight risk to hit the portal and who knows how ready he will be to go up against B1G defenses in a year when he should be playing against high schoolers.

If he starts right away it's possible he blows up and has a great year but IMO it's far more likely he has an up and down year as a true freshman, takes a lot of heat for his rookie mistake and hits the portal. Then we've dismantled our QB room for one inconsistent year of a 5 star at QB as a true freshman. If we were to land Julian I'd rather give him a year to sit behind Tayven and learn how to be a college QB, then (assuming he's an early enrollee) he take the keys of the offense at the start of 2026 with a year and half of college experience under his belt. This is essentially what Michigan did with JJ McCarthy. Let him get his feet wet w/o overwhelming him, then he takes over as starter in year two.
A lot to unpack here, I’ll save it for later (maybe).

However, I’m not convinced that Tayven will be the starter next season regardless of whoever does, or doesn’t, commit.

But that, as with the majority of your post, will be determined at a later time.

A lot to unpack here, I’ll save it for later (maybe).

However, I’m not convinced that Tayven will be the starter next season regardless of whoever does, or doesn’t, commit.

But that, as with the majority of your post, will be determined at a later time.
Ccc doesn't seem very high on tayven, given he is always talking about him needing to work on stuff...stark contrast to his positive comments on Rourke.

You can't choose to stop recruiting highly rated players just because you are worried about other players leaving. You have to recruit the best players you can and then let competition sort it out in the fall.

I hope if juju comes but is not ready for prime time, that the staff doesn't cave to the pressure of throwing him out there early. I have no reason to believe they would do that though. This isn't a new staff so they should be able to handle these things.

Ccc doesn't seem very high on tayven, given he is always talking about him needing to work on stuff...stark contrast to his positive comments on Rourke.

You can't choose to stop recruiting highly rated players just because you are worried about other players leaving. You have to recruit the best players you can and then let competition sort it out in the fall.

I hope if juju comes but is not ready for prime time, that the staff doesn't cave to the pressure of throwing him out there early. I have no reason to believe they would do that though. This isn't a new staff so they should be able to handle these things.
Yeah, you have to keep recruiting over guys. CCC said something like that himself last december.

He said a couple positive things about Tayven the last few weeks. Then always finishes with 'has to work on some things'. ;) But I'm sure he's not worried, just going by sound, if Tayven is the number two and has to play. Even before the spring game when reporters never mentioned Tayven CCC brought him up, seemingly to let everyone know he wasn't forgotten and was improving.

Tayven has a live arm. Good arm. Seems fairly accurate when he can set and throw. Be nice if he has all the other things to be a very good QB. But if he gets beat out, that's good too, means we have another talented kid. Last year Tayven threw a 'pettier' ball than Sorsby. But Sorsby played better which is what counts. Of course the coaching was weak.

If Lewis comes to Indiana, he's the starter going into next fall. Rourke will be gone, Jackson doesn't have the game to hold Lewis off and Cherry is holding a clip board.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about Lewis coming here and taking the job from day one. He's been the number one recruit in the entire nation according to this site for quite sometime.

If he doesn't come here, Cherry may start. I think he's gonna be good and as was mentioned above, it's clear Cignetti isn't too impressed with Jackson.

If Lewis comes to Indiana, he's the starter going into next fall. Rourke will be gone, Jackson doesn't have the game to hold Lewis off and Cherry is holding a clip board.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about Lewis coming here and taking the job from day one. He's been the number one recruit in the entire nation according to this site for quite sometime.

If he doesn't come here, Cherry may start. I think he's gonna be good and as was mentioned above, it's clear Cignetti isn't too impressed with Jackson.
Might be a glimpse in to the impact of NIL resources on playing time. He'll be a 7 figures NIL type player...if he chooses IU, and is our highest NIL guy, he'll start.

Cig hasn't said he wasn't impressed with T.J..... he's said he's got some stuff to work on.

TJ has some natural talent that if Coach Tino and coach Shan gets to a point that TJ shows improvement and understanding of the offense, he could be hard to not play next year.

There are a couple things going against Juju... Cig values production over potential. He'd also something like 16 right now, so he might not be ready for the college game.

It's not a foregone conclusion that Juju would be day 1 starter. Lets get him in the fold first and then let the staff sort it out.

Cig hasn't said he wasn't impressed with T.J..... he's said he's got some stuff to work on.

TJ has some natural talent that if Coach Tino and coach Shan gets to a point that TJ shows improvement and understanding of the offense, he could be hard to not play next year.

There are a couple things going against Juju... Cig values production over potential. He'd also something like 16 right now, so he might not be ready for the college game.

It's not a foregone conclusion that Juju would be day 1 starter. Lets get him in the fold first and then let the staff sort it out.
I think it’s a legit point that if he’s not going to start next year, do you want to drop that kind of NIL on a kid that’s not on the field, and they’re all a flight risk now before year 2.

I think it’s a legit point that if he’s not going to start next year, do you want to drop that kind of NIL on a kid that’s not on the field, and they’re all a flight risk now before year 2.

That's the tricky part about college football now.

Cig has always said that he'll play the best player that gives us the best shot at winning. If that's Lewis, fantastic. If it's not, I don't think he'll lose sleep over it.

You can't worry about who's going to transfer in and out. Who's to say we don't pay Juju, he starts day 1 and then bolts the minute the season ends. There's nothing to stop that in the least. That's the world we're living in now with college athletics. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Yep also 4 star on On3 and 5 star on ESPN. I saw a post on X today that he fell to the 3rd rated QB on Rivals today but as I just checked, they still have him listed as #1. I don’t care where he’s rated, as long as he signs here!!

Lewis fell to #5 in the rivals 100 and the third QB in that list. Not much of a tumble tbh and clearly they see him as an immensely talented guy.

It does seem silly to drop $1M+ on a player who doesn’t play. Take that money and hit the portal and you can get an experienced and proven productive QB.

I would guess he plays right away if he comes here. It’s a gamble — the staff has to weigh the risk/reward.

It does seem silly to drop $1M+ on a player who doesn’t play. Take that money and hit the portal and you can get an experienced and proven productive QB.

I would guess he plays right away if he comes here. It’s a gamble — the staff has to weigh the risk/reward.
That 1 million for Lewis would be worth the money in marketing exposure alone.

Of course, if you play Lewis before he is ready then you risk losing that hype real fast (if he doesn't play to expectations right away).

Not something to worry about though at this point. Lets just hope we land Lewis and then the chips will fall where they will.

So many layers and variables to these high profile kids and their NIL values, and ultimately where the NIL money comes from.

I would say, in general, a guy like Ju Ju will eat in to IU's overall NIL capacity more than he would at USC or Colorado. Seems more likely those schools will have more contribution sources that will be able to pick up "JuJu's Tab", than IU will.

But one factor that is in IU's favor, potentially, is how unique a talent JuJu would be for IU. He'll be a big deal for anyone that's recruiting him, but he's historically big for IU. Maybe that brings a big name like Cook, or Cuban, or whatever, in to the fold? Where as at USC or Colorado...its not nearly as "new" a type of player.

In the end, JuJu will have an NIL market established value. He isn't going to take a big amount less to come play for IU, to be the man from day 1. And he isn't going to take less money to stick with USC, and be at a bigger name school with better players around him.

So I hope we can get him his NIL value, without sapping a damaging amount of our set revenue sharing and collective money for other players.

Reactions: red hornet
Perhaps the marching band should learn Cindy Lauper’s Money Changes Everything. I imagine where he finally truly ends up will be a function of who’s going to pay him the most money.

Reactions: Sonap
So many layers and variables to these high profile kids and their NIL values, and ultimately where the NIL money comes from.

I would say, in general, a guy like Ju Ju will eat in to IU's overall NIL capacity more than he would at USC or Colorado. Seems more likely those schools will have more contribution sources that will be able to pick up "JuJu's Tab", than IU will.

But one factor that is in IU's favor, potentially, is how unique a talent JuJu would be for IU. He'll be a big deal for anyone that's recruiting him, but he's historically big for IU. Maybe that brings a big name like Cook, or Cuban, or whatever, in to the fold? Where as at USC or Colorado...its not nearly as "new" a type of player.

In the end, JuJu will have an NIL market established value. He isn't going to take a big amount less to come play for IU, to be the man from day 1. And he isn't going to take less money to stick with USC, and be at a bigger name school with better players around him.

So I hope we can get him his NIL value, without sapping a damaging amount of our set revenue sharing and collective money for other players.
It won't be Cuban because he is too far left and doesn't support football unless he changes his mind. I think an alum with deep pockets will step up for Lewis.

It won't be Cuban because he is too far left and doesn't support football unless he changes his mind. I think an alum with deep pockets will step up for Lewis.
what does left or right have to do with anything? He's more basketball oriented obviously and donated $5 million for virtual reality tech in Assembly Hall. he has a beef with the NCAA which may be why he doesn't donate more.

what does left or right have to do with anything? He's more basketball oriented obviously and donated $5 million for virtual reality tech in Assembly Hall. he has a beef with the NCAA which may be why he doesn't donate more.
I have no idea what his politics are but I don't think he's ever been interested in the football program. And as far as the NCAA is concerned he shouldn't have a problem with them anymore. Everything is is wide open.

Maybe that says you should not bet on college football. That is why I started the Capper in the first place 24 years ago.
Started? You mean like the capper is a figment of your imagination? I decline to believe this. The capper is real. I am not willing to live in a world where the capper is not sleazing his way through every dive and bar-skank in the tri-state area--wrecking one bookie after another.

Started? You mean like the capper is a figment of your imagination? I decline to believe this. The capper is real. I am not willing to live in a world where the capper is not sleazing his way through every dive and bar-skank in the tri-state area--wrecking one bookie after another.
It's true. My dad was a highly successful bookie in the 70's and 80's and ended up leveraging our mortgage trying to recoup his losses from the Capper. The damage was so bad that my mom left us for the Capper..........he broke the man's soul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT