ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Schedule and Expectations

I am on the fence with DeBord. He hasn't shown much imagination or creativity with the exception of the TD pass to the QB. Maybe it was because Lagow was limited in running and Ramsey was inexperienced, but I thought we were pretty conservative.

I hope you are right. I am cautious after being too positive for many years.

I’d argue conservative play calling was more an issue of OL play rather than QB. Also, poor execution on first down limits what you can do on 2nd/3rd downs, and lots of 3 and outs mean fewer plays and opportunities to get creative.

Reactions: 76-1
I agree that the limited skills on offense caused DeBord to be pretty close to the vest in play calling last year. Plus it was the first year for his whole crew so they were limited in what they could get in and excel at. Another year should be better because the returning players are not starting from scratch. They are still limited by the caliber of players, but I've as always have hope that the new strength staff will help some in that regard, but again they are only in their first year.

The defense is troublesome, particularly at LB. I like the line and the DBs we have coming back but we are really going to miss those LBs. Big question here until we see who and how they do.

I have been following IU FB so long that I can remember wishing we could someday have a program that could get to 5 wins on a regular basis. All those 1, 2, or at best 3 win seasons were a drag even for a fan like me who stuck with them.

Well, IMHO here we are. I have immensely enjoyed the last three seasons. FB games are a lot of fun to go to because you at least know they will be competitive and we may occasionally sneak one out against the big boys (I count Penn St. and Mich. St. wins as against the big boys).

Still like everyone else I want more, but think we will do well to get to 5 wins this year. Six and a bowl will be wonderful and I (with my constant crimson glasses on) think we could have a blow up season and get to 8 wins, but everything would have to go perfectly. But I'll be there in sect. 9, row 23 screaming at every game and at least one road trip! Too much fun to miss!

at Florida International (11 point favorites in 2016, won by 21)
vs Virginia (3.5 point favorites last year, won by 17)
vs Ball State (16.5 point favorites in 2016, won by 10)
vs Michigan State (6.5 point underdogs last year, lost by 8)
at Rutgers (11.5 point favorites last year, won by 41)
at Ohio State (20.5 point underdogs last year, lost by 28)
vs Iowa
vs Penn State (19.5 point underdogs last year, lost by 31)
at Minnesota
vs Maryland (6.5 point favorites last year, lost by 3)
at Michigan (7 point underdogs last year, lost by 7)
vs Purdue (1 point underdogs last year, lost by 7)

Will win (8+ point favorites): vs FIU, vs Ball State
Should win (3-8 point favorites): at Rutgers, vs Virginia, vs Maryland
Toss-Up (spread less than 3 points): vs Purdue, at Minnesota
Could win (3-8 point underdogs): Michigan St, Iowa
Won't win (8+ point underdogs): at Michigan, vs Penn St, at Ohio St

This is one of the most advantageous schedules we've had.

We won't make a bowl if we can't beat Virginia at home in week 2.

Conversely, we could have our best season in 20 years. The MSU game will answer that question.

I worry about FIU because of Butch Davis. Plus, those dudes are serious about building their program. They look for big names. They hired Don Strock (2002 - 2006) to start it. He went 10-23 and then moved it up to IA in 2005. He went 5-18, and they hired Mario Cristobal (2007 - 2012). He went 1-11, 5-7, 3-9, then went to 2 bowls (7-6, 8-5). Went 3-9 and got fired. They hired Ron Turner. He went 1-11, 4-8, 5-7, then opened 0-4 and got fired. Last year Butch Davis took over and went 8-5, cancelling a game in Bloomington after the hurricane. He was 8-4 and lost to Temple in a bowl to finish 8-5. Winning there to open the season will not be a picnic. BUT ... They lost a LOT, including their QB, and have zip QB experience coming back.

Same with Virginia. They'll have a 3rd-year Bronco Mendenhall team. He went 2-10, then 6-7, including his loss to us. They'll have a chip on their shoulder.

Ball State always has a bunch of guys with a chip on their shoulder - and this year that will include Joey Lynch and Dave Elson - their OC and DC. While they have usually played us tough, they really struggled last year.

Best chance to open 3-0 in while. Would be really nice to pull it off.

The conference schedule is a slight bit easier.

Need a bowl to keep Mo.

Get 6.

Home games:
Virginia
Ball State
Michigan State
Iowa
Penn State
Maryland
Pee Ewe

Road games:
FIU
Rutgers
Ohio State
Minnesota
Michigan (7 point underdogs last year, lost by 7)

Ranked easiest to toughest?

Ball State
at FIU
Maryland
at Rutgers
at Minny
Virginia
Pee Ewe
Iowa
Penn State
Michigan State
at Michigan
at Ohio State

Reactions: ESalum86
Best chance to open 3-0 in while. Would be really nice to pull it off.

The conference schedule is a slight bit easier.

Need a bowl to keep Mo.

Get 6.
I agree with many of your sentiments. With respect to our start, I'll go even further and argue that anything less than a 3-0 start would be surprising and disappointing. Not that any of the first three are gimmes but FIU, as you pointed out, is not the same team this year (they're fifth from last nationally in returning production) and we'll be favorites against Virginia and Ball State at home.

And, yes, the conference schedule is more favorable in terms of timing (e.g. we don't have two Top 5 - - nationally - - conference opponents in the first four games of the season, like last year), game locations (we've got five conference home games as opposed to four last year), and the quality of opponents (i.e. no Wisconsin).

ADVERTISEMENT