ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Schedule and Expectations

hoosierfan13

Benchwarmer
Nov 10, 2006
at Florida International (11 point favorites in 2016, won by 21)
vs Virginia (3.5 point favorites last year, won by 17)
vs Ball State (16.5 point favorites in 2016, won by 10)
vs Michigan State (6.5 point underdogs last year, lost by 8)
at Rutgers (11.5 point favorites last year, won by 41)
at Ohio State (20.5 point underdogs last year, lost by 28)
vs Iowa
vs Penn State (19.5 point underdogs last year, lost by 31)
at Minnesota
vs Maryland (6.5 point favorites last year, lost by 3)
at Michigan (7 point underdogs last year, lost by 7)
vs Purdue (1 point underdogs last year, lost by 7)

Will win (8+ point favorites): vs FIU, vs Ball State
Should win (3-8 point favorites): at Rutgers, vs Virginia, vs Maryland
Toss-Up (spread less than 3 points): vs Purdue, at Minnesota
Could win (3-8 point underdogs): Michigan St, Iowa
Won't win (8+ point underdogs): at Michigan, vs Penn St, at Ohio St

This is one of the most advantageous schedules we've had.

We won't make a bowl if we can't beat Virginia at home in week 2.

Conversely, we could have our best season in 20 years. The MSU game will answer that question.

vs Iowa
at Minnesota

Conversely, we could have our best season in 20 years. The MSU game will answer that question.
I’m fairly confident in predicting 7-5. We will be in pretty much every game as usual. The key will be, again as usual, if we can hold on late. I don’t particularly care what Athlon or any magazine says, we will be in these games. But we’ve got to prove that we can finish them off.

2018 season will be determined by how close the defense plays like the 2017 defense with I hope more consistency. The other big factor is does the offense start scoring 35 pts a game again. If these two things happen and special teams continue to improve then IU could win between 6 - 9 games. Until we see the team in Spring practice it will be hard to judge how the new starters will step up. With IU's youth I still say 2019 will be IU's year to shine but we need to show 2018 will keep us in the hunt.

Theres a ton of question marks
OLine (should be improved BUT?)
QB (The only starter with experience is Ramsey? Gonna have to be patient and this is a major role unless someone comes in and lights it up)
LB (Some returning experience but another? Gotta replace 2 key players)
Can I throw DL and DB as question marks too?

While I like to stay optimistic I'm just hoping we can get to a bowl game. Anything more is a pleasant surprise. Anything less will be disappointing. We should be in better shape. Last year was horribly noticeable late in games. Maybe someone can shed some rays of hope as to why we go 7-5.

Maybe someone can shed some rays of hope as to why we go 7-5.
1) An improved OL
2) A mobile QB
3) A number of quality (and experienced) skill position players
4) David Ballou
5) Players and coaches (particularly Allen and DeBord) acclimated to each other
6) the schedule

With respect to #6, look at the schedule and tell me if there's any credible reason why we should expect anything less than a 4-2 start. The final six consist of four home games (Iowa, Penn State, Maryland and Purdue), and Minnesota and Michigan on the road. . We will take three of those six.

1) An improved OL
2) A mobile QB
4) David Ballou
6) the schedule

With respect to #6, look at the schedule and tell me if there's any credible reason why we should expect anything less than a 4-2 start. The final six consist of four home games (Iowa, Penn State, Maryland and Purdue), and Minnesota and Michigan on the road. . We will take three of those six.

Concur with all of this and the fact the Bye week will be in week 8 not week 2. That kind of late season break could allow some healing and freshness to end strong.

I also don't discount #4 Ballou & staff. Think the athleticism and speed is going to be improved next year. (Saw Whop in a clip, wow he looks ripped and he's someone who could thrive.) Or if J'Shun Harris comes back from 3rd ACL and picks up where he left off on the punt returning again?

Think per #2, Lagow had great arm but threw too many picks and virtually no threat to run. With a better performing Oline, if Ramsey gets the nod (my guess now), he has much better turnover management/discipline and cutting down on picks alone will be big. And he has some mobility too. Cutting down turnovers is huge.

My prediction remains 7-5 as well. But if they can gel, I could see them sneaking to 8-4 which would be mind-blowing for IU fans!

Cons: Still ? marks at QB, OL, WR depth and blocking for the kicking game, other ? at LB and DL & S depth...

Pros: Ballou & friends, a year together as an Offensive staff, seemingly more young untested depth at many positions, Tom Allens wizardry at building a Defense...

I'm usually in the over the top, we're going 12-0 regular season group but this time the ? marks concern me..., which is why I listed the "cons" first.

This is a season that could far exceed expectations "or" duplicate the previous one.

I'm leaning towards we "learn to walk before we run" with this current group and we go 6-6 and head to a Bowl (and Win it)...

I'd be very happy with that outcome and I wouldn't go looking for a bridge to jump off of if we duplicated last years result. 2019 is the season I think the current group might just find a way to "breakthrough".

I know that stance probably horrifies some out there who think we should summarily execute any one associated with an 8 win or less season...

6-6 is my uniformed pre-spring practice guess...

Although I am excited with what Tom Allen is building, I don’t think next year is going to be a big season for us in the win column. We lost a lot of experience, and I think we will be going through some growing pains. With that being said, Allen smartly redshirted some good talent last year, and we will likely be much better up front on both sides of the ball. I like who Allen has on staff including DeBoard and his guys, and Ballou with his guys. I just don’t think all those investments will be seen next year. I say a 6-6 year, and I’ll be very happy considering it will be a true rebuilding year.

Cons: Still ? marks at QB, OL, WR depth and blocking for the kicking game, other ? at LB and DL & S depth...

Pros: Ballou & friends, a year together as an Offensive staff, seemingly more young untested depth at many positions, Tom Allens wizardry at building a Defense...

I'm usually in the over the top, we're going 12-0 regular season group but this time the ? marks concern me..., which is why I listed the "cons" first.

This is a season that could far exceed expectations "or" duplicate the previous one.

I'm leaning towards we "learn to walk before we run" with this current group and we go 6-6 and head to a Bowl (and Win it)...

I'd be very happy with that outcome and I wouldn't go looking for a bridge to jump off of if we duplicated last years result. 2019 is the season I think the current group might just find a way to "breakthrough".

I know that stance probably horrifies some out there who think we should summarily execute any one associated with an 8 win or less season...

I'd be disappointed with 6-6. Would predict 7-5. Decent shot at 8-4, as we should be able to beat either MSU or Iowa at home.

I think the season will largely hinge on the LB and OL positions. If we are solid there I think we could see 7+ wins. However, I have absolutely no idea what to expect from those groups and I’m perhaps a little pessimistic about LB.

I'd be disappointed with 6-6. Would predict 7-5. Decent shot at 8-4, as we should be able to beat either MSU or Iowa at home.
MSU bears no similarity to the team we beat in 2016. They're coming off a 10 win season, are first nationally in returning production, and it looks like the sexual assault/Title IX mess in East Lansing is not going to impact Dantonio's job status.

I, too, initially viewed this game/team as one that might be ripe for the picking, but they'll probably be one of the three best teams we play in 2018 and will be a heavy favorite when we play them. That said, if we are able to pull off the upset, that would be a harbinger of a very successful season for IU.

I think we have a much better shot at Iowa. I see us going 4-2 over the first half of the season, and 3-3 in the last six. Gotta start 4-2 (and can't afford to lose to the school that beat us last night in hoops).

Reactions: 76-1
As long as we beat Purdue and win more games....that's the floor. I'm still too pissed about last year. We've stunk for so many years that blowing the 2012-17 window we had with explosive offenses/embarrassing defenses followed by solid defense/suspect offense is extremely frustrating.

I think we'll win five games. I don't know which ones, but I'm guessing they will be against teams that finish with losing records since every team we've beaten since Missouri in 2014 finished with a losing record I believe. (I think UVA finished 6-7.)

Hopefully, the OL eats Wheaties, a QB plays at an exceptional level, the RBs quit fumbling, Westbrook comes back healthy, Timien catches the ball, the DL finds replacements for McCray and Gooch, that we find B1G caliber LBs for the second time in a generation, that Riggins and Ball are healthy, and that somebody steps up alongside Crawford...and that's not even counting losing our two-tine all-conference kicker.

The schedule is easier, but we needed that last year. We've always got cereal but no milk, peanut butter but no jelly.

With all this being said, I'll be at all 13 games rain or shine and would shun anyone in my network for saying such blasphemy. Kickoff can't come soon enough to erase the bad taste of West Lafayette!

Reactions: cshartle123
My prediction is that most of our fanbase will pick us to win the exact same amount of games that we won the year before like they do every year. No one ever makes an actual prediction based on anything other than “well we won __ last year, so...”

vs Iowa
at Minnesota

As far as the Virginia game goes, I'm curious: When was the last time Indiana beat a P5 team in back-to-back years?

I thought he meant ooc...
Well if he did, why ignore the conference (P5) opponents? And the ooc thing is kind of a pointless stat. We don't frequently play ooc P5 opponents in consecutive years. Unless I'm overlooking something (altogether possible as ESalum picked up on the fact that I left out Rutgers), the last couple of times we played ooc P5 opponents in consecutive years (Wake and Mizzou) we split the series. Where's the shame there?

Well if he did, why ignore the conference (P5) opponents? And the ooc thing is kind of a pointless stat.
Theres no shame but he said "as far as the Virginia game goes" so I figured he meant ooc. As far as ooc P5 its been 15 years since we won back to back games. Why the angst?

If we beat Virginia next year which is by far the best ooc opponent we face for awhile thats pretty big. AND beating a Bronco coached team two years straight will be a pretty tall order iyam

I think winning the Virginia game is going to be a lot tougher than most on here think. They return a lot from a team that grew a quite a bit last year after our game with them and they have a very good coach in Mendenhall.

Reactions: cshartle123
I think winning the Virginia game is going to be a lot tougher than most on here think. They return a lot from a team that grew a quite a bit last year after our game with them and they have a very good coach in Mendenhall.
They lost a lot on O (they're 106th nationally in returning offensive production). I'm not saying it'll be a cakewalk, but that's a game we should absolutely win in Bloomington. If we don't, it will bode for a very long season.

If we don’t win 6 with that schedule we’ll be looking for a new HC much sooner than expected

Reactions: IUgradman

They just brought in a grad transfer OT from Rutgers (the guy who was taking cheap shots at our guys Appling or Applegate our something like that) and they picked up a couple of other grad transfers that will probably start for them. They did lose three really good players but I don't expect them to be a pushover...

Last edited:
They lost a lot on O (they're 106th nationally in returning offensive production). I'm not saying it'll be a cakewalk, but that's a game we should absolutely win in Bloomington. If we don't, it will bode for a very long season.
We aren't looking very good considering returning production stats either.

I don't believe we have any WR depth issues at all. I actually think its our best position going into the season. We get 1000yd receiver Nick Westbrook back for his senior season. Whop is going to have a monster season. Donovan Hale returns from injury for his senior season. Luke Timian is back for his senior season. J-Shun MAY be back?

I get the loss of Cobbs seems daunting but essentially we are reverting back to our starting WR lineup of 2 years ago (swap Jones for Whop). ha They'll be much better 2 years later and they were already decent back then.

Reactions: Walt542
My prediction is that most of our fanbase will pick us to win the exact same amount of games that we won the year before like they do every year. No one ever makes an actual prediction based on anything other than “well we won __ last year, so...”

I've predicted 7 wins the last 20 years. Rather than being disappointed, I'm realizing that I've been wrong 19 times and all that does is make me feel stupid and angry when we inevitably fall short. However, just before kickoff, I always think we're going to win that day.

My heart says seven, my "inner gambler" says three so, I'll split the difference and go with five while hoping for six.

vs Iowa
at Minnesota

vs Iowa
at Minnesota

I have always tried to look at the schedule and for a path that gets us to 6-6. My problem is I never know what B1G team is going to be stronger and who will end up having a bad year. We could win 4 of our first 5 games or win 2. I'll be safe and say we win 3/5 and lose at OSU.

The second half of the season looks to be possible to win 3 more games or better with good luck with injuries and playing mostly at home. In reality, I won't be surprised if we are playing Purdue with a bowl game on the line. I just hope this year the new players and young returning players understand that last game is a big deal to the team we are playing. I was disappointed in the casual feeling I got about the Purdue game last year.

I can see why some say 7-5, but I won't expect more than 5-7 or 6-6. I'll update my expectations after I see us play a few game.

I I will choose the lesser of my picks and say 5-7 as we never have good luck with injuries and depth. I also believe our defense will be down and our offensive improvement is really not known.

Reactions: 76-1
I I will choose the lesser of my picks and say 5-7 as we never have good luck with injuries and depth. I also believe our defense will be down and our offensive improvement is really not known.
No question we lost a lot on D. CTA's defensive coaching chops will definitely be put to the test but, given his history, I wouldn't count him (or our D) out.

On offense, I actually really like the guys we've got coming back and I think Coach DeBord and the O are going to surprise.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
No question we lost a lot on D. CTA's defensive coaching chops will definitely be put to the test but, given his history, I wouldn't count him (or our D) out.

On offense, I actually really like the guys we've got coming back and I think Coach DeBord and the O are going to surprise.
I am on the fence with DeBord. He hasn't shown much imagination or creativity with the exception of the TD pass to the QB. Maybe it was because Lagow was limited in running and Ramsey was inexperienced, but I thought we were pretty conservative.

I hope you are right. I am cautious after being too positive for many years.

Unfortunately I was correct with a 5-7 prediction last year. I hope I am wrong with a 4-8 prediction next year.

I will wait until closer to kickoff next year before I make an official prediction, but that is my preliminarily prediction.

1) An improved OL
2) A mobile QB
4) David Ballou
6) the schedule

Yep, I say no worse than 7-5. Looking for 11-1. All subject to injuries, transfers and the like. I think this is the best schedule the Hoosiers have had in a while.

Six is the absolute minimum we have to win. Another losing season should put the heat on Allen and Glass. Recruiting will become very difficult if we don’t go bowling.

I'm going to temper my expectations a tad next season. My way too early prediction will be 5 wins. I have a feeling the Bucket game could be a deciding factor again whether we go bowling or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT