ADVERTISEMENT

+2.5 @ Maryland

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Playing with house money tonight. This is a game that most good teams lose. It is very hard to win 5 games in a row in the B1G. Even harder to win 3 in a row away. Maryland is no joke, but they lack the one true thing that I believe is our weakness. A Big boy.

Over and over TJD has proven if you don't have someone much bigger on him he is gonna wreck you. MI, PU and Rutgers are the only teams this year that have that kinda guy on their roster. We shall see how Maryland decides to go at TJD but he could get 25+points tonight.

The other thing I am optimistic about is this environment will be poor. My buddy got seats behind the IU bench about 5 rows back for $117 a pop. I usually go to this game and we have never spent less than $300 for the same area. Even he was thinking about not going because of the 9pm tip. People in DC dont want to get home at midnight on Tuesday, I think we see a very poor showing from the Maryland faithful.

All that being said I am just going to put a small ML wager on us tonight, do not have the confidence I have had for the previous few games. CAUTIOUSLY all aboard!!!!

While MD may not have a good “big” to throw at TJD, they do have five players who routinely score in double figures - any one of them has ability to “go off.” We’ll need hard nosed help D, and multiple players to contribute offensively. MDs “big” appears to be foul prone; containing TJD is their challenge. Ours will be to play well as a team on the road and not like the last time out where an understaffed Minnesota probably should have beat us. I’m not a gambler, but I wouldn’t touch this one.

Have to limit our turnovers, especially the live ball variety. I don't see Maryland being able to outscore this IU team unless we have a ton of empty possessions. They're a dreadful shooting team and prone to long scoring droughts that sometimes get magnified because they play at a methodical pace. Keep the turnovers in single digits and this is a game for the taking.

Issue(s) I see for us defensively, their 5 are effective on the perimeter leading to TJD being away from the bucket and likely numerous dumb fouls by Malik, Race, and Jordan.

They do put a lot of pressure on the perimeter as well with length and athleticism, if we can limit turnovers we win. Should out rebound them by a fair amount and TJD should get 20/10+, can we keep turnover margin close to 0? Maryland has forced 20%+ turnovers in 3 of their last 4 (including turning over Purdue on 25% of their possessions, Purdue averages 16% on the season).

anyone watched them much and can recap the main players' games and possible matchups? What's their post like defensively?

Playing with house money tonight. This is a game that most good teams lose. It is very hard to win 5 games in a row in the B1G. Even harder to win 3 in a row away. Maryland is no joke, but they lack the one true thing that I believe is our weakness. A Big boy.

Over and over TJD has proven if you don't have someone much bigger on him he is gonna wreck you. MI, PU and Rutgers are the only teams this year that have that kinda guy on their roster. We shall see how Maryland decides to go at TJD but he could get 25+points tonight.

The other thing I am optimistic about is this environment will be poor. My buddy got seats behind the IU bench about 5 rows back for $117 a pop. I usually go to this game and we have never spent less than $300 for the same area. Even he was thinking about not going because of the 9pm tip. People in DC dont want to get home at midnight on Tuesday, I think we see a very poor showing from the Maryland faithful.

All that being said I am just going to put a small ML wager on us tonight, do not have the confidence I have had for the previous few games. CAUTIOUSLY all aboard!!!!
Most of the noise and energy at Xfinity comes from the students, especially The Wall at one end. I'm sure they'll be there in force and stoked as always. You're right ticket prices are down, especially with schools like Northwestern and Rutgers at the top. I can't make it tonight 😠, but hope to go and cheer for the Terps to knock off some of those teams.

anyone watched them much and can recap the main players' games and possible matchups? What's their post like defensively?
I've only seen them a couple times. I don't know much about their new coach's strategy, but they're athletic and willing shooters. Meaning if they get going offensively they'll fire up the crowd and be a real handful. Reese in the middle is a nice player and they'll probably let him try to guard TJD without too much doubling. He's foul prone. That was a key factor against PU, because he was battling Edey pretty good.

Reactions: kkott
Seem somewhat undersized and undermanned in the post with one of their two starting forwards (only listed center averages 3 minutes/game) being foul-prone. No glaring statistical weaknesses apart from lousy 3-pt. shooting (30%) but they defend well and are methodical on offense. IU needs to be patient, play smart and limit TOs.

Damned few will get home at Midnight. Not even if you live in Silver spring or Bethesda.

Damned few will get home at Midnight. Not even if you live in Silver spring or Bethesda.
I like it; I guess you're assuming they'll be hitting the exits early?

9pm start right, so how would a lot of people not get home after midnight in DC? 2.5 hour game, 10-15 minutes to the car, so most will drive 15 minutes or less? I would think many will be home after midnight. I remember a 9pm game at Cameron and I was home after 3am and Charlotte's less than a 3 hour drive from Durham; especially at that hour!

Reactions: Cavanagh

9pm start right, so how would a lot of people not get home after midnight in DC? 2.5 hour game, 10-15 minutes to the car, so most will drive 15 minutes or less? I would think many will be home after midnight. I remember a 9pm game at Cameron and I was home after 3am and Charlotte's less than a 3 hour drive from Durham; especially at that hour!
Either way, it is going to be close or after midnight when they get back. Any professional that has to be up at 6-7 thinks twice before committing to that.

I live 15 minutes from the UMd campus. Went to last year’s game. Two upper deck tickets cost around $150. Was surprised they cost so much. Good IU fan turn out. Thought about going to game tonight, but rather watch at home. Cole Fieldhouse was a better atmosphere. Md. home games haven’t been the same for them since they left the ACC. I wonder if the folks at UCLA and USC have talked to the folks at Md.

So you agree with me.

Either way, it is going to be close or after midnight when they get back. Any professional that has to be up at 6-7 thinks twice before committing to that.
Those in silver spring or Bethesda won’t even get home midnight. Most will be after one. That affects the older folks more than young.

Line moved to three.​

PICKCENTER​

Indiana

Indiana
15-6, 10-10-1 ATS
Maryland

Maryland
14-7, 14-7-0 ATS

TeamRankings

--
--
SPREAD CONSENSUS PICK
--
SPREAD
+3
MONEY LINE
+130
OVER/UNDER

I'm betting IU at +320 live betting at the half. Not saying I'm optimistic about winning, but I think they'll get back in it. Might even cash out early and do a little see-saw live action betting. C'mon Hoosiers make a run!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT